RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

22 of 22 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Hedley Finger 09 Oct 03:26
  Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Kevin Cozens 09 Oct 16:52
   Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 10 Oct 05:59
    Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Kevin Cozens 10 Oct 20:21
     Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 10 Oct 20:28
     Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Hedley Finger 11 Oct 12:55
  Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 11 Oct 00:04
   Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Hedley Finger 11 Oct 13:53
    Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Kevin Cozens 11 Oct 15:36
    Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 11 Oct 17:33
     Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Bettina Karena Lechner 13 Oct 11:42
      Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 13 Oct 18:24
       Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Bettina Karena Lechner 13 Oct 18:45
        Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 13 Oct 18:58
         Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Sven Neumann 13 Oct 20:14
         Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Bettina Karena Lechner 13 Oct 20:18
          Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 13 Oct 20:32
           Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Bettina Karena Lechner 13 Oct 21:13
            Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Chris Mohler 13 Oct 21:31
             Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Bettina Karena Lechner 13 Oct 22:26
  Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files WebBiscuit 21 Dec 23:04
   Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files Alexandre Prokoudine 22 Dec 01:17
Hedley Finger
2008-10-09 03:26:55 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Can anybody point me to a Gimp plug-in or external utility that can convert *.ase swatch files from Adobe Kuler to Gimp *.gpl files please? I have googled until I am begoggled but can't find anything.

'Course, I could just use an eyedropper on the Kuler web page but that is not the hacker's way -- if there is a non-obvious more difficult way, that's the one to use! 8^)

Regards, Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street Camberwell VIC 3124 Australia Tel. +61 3 9809 1229 Fax. (call phone first) Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger"

Kevin Cozens
2008-10-09 16:52:46 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hedley Finger wrote:

Can anybody point me to a Gimp plug-in or external utility that can convert *.ase swatch files from Adobe Kuler to Gimp *.gpl files please?

If you haven't found anything using Google and there is no plug-in already available in the registry, someone will have to create a plug-in, or script file, to do the conversion. That someone will need to have access to .ase files and to the details of the format of those files.

Chris Mohler
2008-10-10 05:59:58 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

Hedley Finger wrote:

Can anybody point me to a Gimp plug-in or external utility that can convert *.ase swatch files from Adobe Kuler to Gimp *.gpl files please?

If you haven't found anything using Google and there is no plug-in already available in the registry, someone will have to create a plug-in, or script file, to do the conversion. That someone will need to have access to .ase files and to the details of the format of those files.

OK - I took a shot at a plug-in. I doubt that it works properly under Windows - I have not had time to test it (yet). Also, once the palette is loaded (if it works :), you need to manually refresh the palette list - the new palette will appear toward the top. This plug-in does not handle the full ASE spec (notably RBG only)- I doubt ASE files from sources other than Kuler will work. If you are not using GIMP from current svn, you need to change the 'gimp_folder' variable at the top of the file to match your .gimp folder.

Oh yeah - it's under 'Filters->Import ASE palette...' - I need to move it somewhere more useful.

There are a ton of FIXME items that I still need to attend to, but if anyone is feeling brave, I'd love feedback on it...

Chris

PS - (unofficial) ASE file spec is here: http://www.selapa.net/couleurs/fileformats.php

Kevin Cozens
2008-10-10 20:21:25 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Chris Mohler wrote:

Also, once the palette is loaded (if it works :), you need to manually

> refresh the palette list - the new palette will appear toward the top.

Just add a call to gimp-palettes-refresh.

This plug-in does not handle the full ASE spec (notably RBG only)

Thanks, Chris. This seems like a good start. It can always be improved later. Hopefully, Hedley can test it and report back as to how well it works (or doesn't).

Chris Mohler
2008-10-10 20:28:02 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

Chris Mohler wrote:

Also, once the palette is loaded (if it works :), you need to manually

> refresh the palette list - the new palette will appear toward the top.

Just add a call to gimp-palettes-refresh.

This plug-in does not handle the full ASE spec (notably RBG only)

Thanks, Chris. This seems like a good start. It can always be improved later. Hopefully, Hedley can test it and report back as to how well it works (or doesn't).

Yeah - I just found a wealth of palette functions in the PDB - including refresh. Thanks!

Chris

Chris Mohler
2008-10-11 00:04:44 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Hedley Finger wrote:

Can anybody point me to a Gimp plug-in or external utility that can convert *.ase swatch files from Adobe Kuler to Gimp *.gpl files please? I have googled until I am begoggled but can't find anything.

'Course, I could just use an eyedropper on the Kuler web page but that is not the hacker's way -- if there is a non-obvious more difficult way, that's the one to use! 8^)

I made the plugin bit more friendly and uploaded it to the registry: http://registry.gimp.org/node/10325

Still only works with Kuler palettes - it will probably choke on palettes from Photoshop, AI, etc. Good news is that *all* Kuler palettes appear to be saved as RGB, so the colors translate straight into GIMP.

Tested with 2.7 (svn) on Ubuntu and 2.6.1 on Win XP. If anyone can test on OS X that would be great.

Chris

Hedley Finger
2008-10-11 12:55:10 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Kevin Cozens wrote:

Hedley can test it and report back as to how well it works (or doesn't).

Will do. I have a bunch of palettes to convert and will let you know.

Regards, Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street Camberwell VIC 3124 Australia Tel. +61 3 9809 1229 Fax. (call phone first) Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger"

Hedley Finger
2008-10-11 13:53:29 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Chris Mohler wrote:

I made the plugin bit more friendly and uploaded it to the registry: http://registry.gimp.org/node/10325

I installed the script from the link above into , right? But when Gimp is launched there is no menu path Import ASE palette...> -- or has it moved. I couldn't find anything by banging around the menus.

Is this still the case (no 'gimp_folder' assignment in current version of script):

If you are not using GIMP from current svn, you need to change the 'gimp_folder' variable at the top of the file to match your .gimp folder.

Any clues as to why I can't get it to work? I have Gimp 2.6.1.

Regards, Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

Email. "Hedley Finger"

Kevin Cozens
2008-10-11 15:36:29 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hedley Finger wrote:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/10325

I installed the script from the link above into , right? But when Gimp is launched there is no menu path Import ASE palette...>

The file name ends in .py so you need a Python interpreter installed on your machine. If you don't see a menu entry Python-Fu under Filters, then you don't have Python on your machine. If you don't have it, I would suggest installing Active Python which can be found at: http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/index.mhtml

Chris Mohler
2008-10-11 17:33:12 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Hedley Finger wrote:

Chris Mohler wrote:

I installed the script from the link above into , right? But when Gimp is launched there is no menu path Import ASE palette...> -- or has it moved. I couldn't find anything by banging around the menus.

Is this still the case (no 'gimp_folder' assignment in current version of script):

If you are not using GIMP from current svn, you need to change the 'gimp_folder'
variable at the top of the file to match your .gimp folder.

Any clues as to why I can't get it to work? I have Gimp 2.6.1.

As Kevin mentioned, you do need python installed. I also moved the filter to the palettes menu - so click on the small "arrow" in t the palettes dock, then go to 'Palettes Menu' and it should show up there. I cleaned up the part about the folder - it's no longer necc. to edit the file.

Chris

Bettina Karena Lechner
2008-10-13 11:42:19 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi!

Trying to use the python-script on OS X 10.4 PPC (first updated python to 2.6, got GIMP 2.6.1) but it's not working. When I try to import the *.ase in to GIMP palettes it says: Unknown filetype.

Maybe I failed by moving the file convert_ASE_to_GPL.py into the right folder?? Where should I put it?

Thanks Tina

Von: Chris Mohler
Datum: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:33:12 -0500 An:
Cc: gimp-user
Betreff: Re: [Gimp-user] Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Hedley Finger wrote:

Chris Mohler wrote:

Chris Mohler
2008-10-13 18:24:17 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:42 AM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

Hi!

Trying to use the python-script on OS X 10.4 PPC (first updated python to 2.6, got GIMP 2.6.1) but it's not working. When I try to import the *.ase in to GIMP palettes it says: Unknown filetype.

Maybe I failed by moving the file convert_ASE_to_GPL.py into the right folder?? Where should I put it?

Thanks Tina

Hi Tina,

To make sure the plug-in is installed, go to Help->Plug-in Browser and enter "palette" in the search box. If "Import ASE Palette" is listed, then the plug-in has been installed properly. If not, someone here should know where to place the plug-in file (in OS X).

If it's installed, but not working: are you using an ASE file from Kuler? Can you copy the exact error message? If it's a Kuler file and won't open, could you send it to me at cr33dog@gmail.com?

Thanks, Chris

Bettina Karena Lechner
2008-10-13 18:45:33 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi Chris,

thanks for your help.

Seems that the py isn't installed correctly cause I can't find it in the plug-in browser. Usually I place plug-in files here:

/Users//Library/Application Support/Gimp/plug-ins (and they are working though)

anyone knows a better place under OS X for *.py files?? thank you in advance,
tina

Datum: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:24:17 -0500 An: Bettina Karena Lechner
Betreff: Re: [Gimp-user] Converting Adobe *.ase swatch files from Kuler to Gimp *.gpl swatch files

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:42 AM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

Hi!

Thanks Tina

Hi Tina,

To make sure the plug-in is installed, go to Help->Plug-in Browser and enter "palette" in the search box. If "Import ASE Palette" is listed, then the plug-in has been installed properly. If not, someone here should know where to place the plug-in file (in OS X).

If it's installed, but not working: are you using an ASE file from Kuler? Can you copy the exact error message? If it's a Kuler file and won't open, could you send it to me at cr33dog@gmail.com?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Mohler
2008-10-13 18:58:46 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

Hi Chris,

thanks for your help.

Seems that the py isn't installed correctly cause I can't find it in the plug-in browser. Usually I place plug-in files here:

tina

I'm just guessing, but it seems to me like either python is not installed (or not installed properly), or gimp's python bindings are not installed. Someone with more experience running GIMP on OSX will hopefully be along to help you out, but in the meantime: which site did you download/install GIMP from?

Chris

Sven Neumann
2008-10-13 20:14:49 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 11:58 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:

I'm just guessing, but it seems to me like either python is not installed (or not installed properly), or gimp's python bindings are not installed.

That, or the plug-in is not set executable. It needs to have the executable bit set, or the Python extension is not going to see it.

Sven

Bettina Karena Lechner
2008-10-13 20:18:47 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi Chris,

python is working properly. I run a test in the terminal-window and everythink worked fine.

but maybe that was a hint: where do I get this:

or gimp's python bindings are
not installed.

I downloaded Gimp from here:
http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html joy!
tina

Datum: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:58:46 -0500 An: Bettina Karena Lechner

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

Hi Chris,

thanks for your help.

tina

I'm just guessing, but it seems to me like either python is not installed (or not installed properly), or gimp's python bindings are not installed. Someone with more experience running GIMP on OSX will hopefully be along to help you out, but in the meantime: which site did you download/install GIMP from?

Chris

Chris Mohler
2008-10-13 20:32:27 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

Hi Chris,

python is working properly. I run a test in the terminal-window and everythink worked fine.

not installed.

tina

It looks like that package includes gimp-python. See Sven's comment - make sure the .py file is executable.

Chris

Bettina Karena Lechner
2008-10-13 21:13:41 UTC (over 15 years ago)

the italian say "buh" when they don't know what to do :) so:

make sure the .py file is executable.

buh??

tina

Datum: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:32:27 -0500 An: Bettina Karena Lechner

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

Hi Chris,

not installed.

tina

It looks like that package includes gimp-python. See Sven's comment - make sure the .py file is executable.

Chris

Chris Mohler
2008-10-13 21:31:29 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

buh??

tina

I used to use a mac daily, so it's kind of sad that I don't remember exactly how to set it in the finder :( I think it's somewhere off in "properties" or "file info".

This should work though: in a terminal, cd to the directory with the .py file. Then enter "chmod +x convert_ASE_to_GPL.py" - no quotes. Then entering "ls -l" should show the permissions string like: -rwxr-xr-x

Chris

Bettina Karena Lechner
2008-10-13 22:26:08 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Thank you so much everyone! Changing the permissions helped to find the import-palette.py in the plug-in browser and to make it run. Everything is working fine now - I also see the additional menu-entry in the import-menu. But a hint for all: don't try to import the file over the standard-entry (import palette ... :)) have a good night!

Tina

Datum: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:31:29 -0500 An: Bettina Karena Lechner
Cc:

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Bettina Karena Lechner wrote:

buh??

tina

I used to use a mac daily, so it's kind of sad that I don't remember exactly how to set it in the finder :( I think it's somewhere off in "properties" or "file info".

This should work though: in a terminal, cd to the directory with the .py file. Then enter "chmod +x convert_ASE_to_GPL.py" - no quotes. Then entering "ls -l" should show the permissions string like: -rwxr-xr-x

Chris

2009-12-21 23:04:22 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

Hi,
There is also a standalone Windows program that does this conversion:

http://www.webbiscuit.co.uk/PaletteParser.aspx

Hope someone finds it useful!

Regards, Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

Email. "Hedley Finger"

Alexandre Prokoudine
2009-12-22 01:17:22 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On 12/22/09, Daniel wrote:

Hi,
There is also a standalone Windows program that does this conversion:

And on Linux (also usable on Windows when Python is installed) it is SwatchBooker:

http://www.selapa.net/swatchbooker/

Alexandre