RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fonts again.....

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fonts again..... Jim Clark 05 Sep 23:14
  Fonts again..... Nat 07 Sep 20:02
Jim Clark
2003-09-05 23:14:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Fonts again.....

I have just moved to a new RH 9 (a customized by my company distribution) box, with a newly compiled GIMP 1.2.5. I haven't played with it much, but I would very much like to remove about 100 of the fonts in my text tool.

My font path includes the unix:/7100, but how do I remove fonts from that location? Everything I find on the web is about adding the font server, but I want much less of it. How do I do that?

I have successfully added y old friend fonts from my old box.

There was a very nice tutorial mentioned a few months ago, but it is now gone. I can't believe I'm the only one struggling with hordes of unwanted fonts (or fonts that make GIMP crash)

Thanks-

Jim Clark

Nat
2003-09-07 20:02:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Fonts again.....

Jim Clark - Friday 05 September 2003 23:14 - about [Gimp-user] Fonts again.....:

I have just moved to a new RH 9 (a customized by my company distribution) box, with a newly compiled GIMP 1.2.5. I haven't played with it much, but I would very much like to remove about 100 of the fonts in my text tool.

My font path includes the unix:/7100, but how do I remove fonts from that location? Everything I find on the web is about adding the font server, but I want much less of it. How do I do that?

Hi Jim,

Here's how I would do it:

as normal user or as root: - copy all fonts to another directory (just for safety) - in that directory run gFontview (http://gfontview.sourceforge.net), it displays the font names and the file names - put gfontview and a file manager on the same desktop - switch back and forth an remove the offending fonts

then, as root: - create a new fonts.scale: ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale - create an new fonts.dir (& optionally a new encodings.dir): mkfontdir -e enc_dir (enc_dir is the directory containing the font encodings)
- remove the dir which still has the offending fonts - put the new dir in its place (the font path remains the same) - maybe restart the x server: /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

I have successfully added y old friend fonts from my old box.

There was a very nice tutorial mentioned a few months ago, but it is now gone. I can't believe I'm the only one struggling with hordes of unwanted fonts (or fonts that make GIMP crash)

Don't know if mine deserves the qualification "very nice" :) It's only about adding fonts, maybe I should add info about removing them too?

http://www.latinae.demon.nl/fonts/fonts.html

Thanks-

Jim Clark

Good luck,

Natalie

PS I can't help you with your question about the fonts listed but not available, sorry :(