RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

moving around a selection

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

moving around a selection Vittorio 01 Sep 15:43
  moving around a selection Joao S. O. Bueno 02 Sep 23:41
  moving around a selection Sven Neumann 03 Sep 01:13
  moving around a selection Jakub Steiner 03 Sep 02:27
  moving around a selection David Neary 03 Sep 09:44
vic50@email.it 07 Oct 20:15
  moving around a selection Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk 03 Sep 06:30
   moving around a selection Eric Pierce 06 Sep 01:46
Vittorio
2003-09-01 15:43:58 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Context: Linux and the Gimp.

How can I move a selection around a picture, that is (and more precisely), move the frame of the selection only not its content (in order to e.g. "better center" the image the selection will contain)?

Ciao

Vittorio

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-09-02 23:41:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Monday 01 September 2003 10:43 am, Vittorio wrote:

[Gimp-user] moving around a selection Date: Yesterday 10:43:58 am
To: gimp-user

Message was signed with unknown key. The validity of the signature cannot be verified. Problem: OpenPGP plug-in was not specified. Use the 'Settings->Configure KMail->Security' dialog to specify the plug-in or ask your system administrator to do that for you.

How can I move a selection around a picture, that is (and more precisely), move the frame of the selection only not its content (in order to e.g. "better center" the image the selection will contain)?

Hi there...

All you have to do is hold ALT and click and drag the selection.

However, if you are in KDE, it´s default behavior is to captue this event (alt + click and drag) to drag the window.

You have to disable this behavior in the kde control center (kcontrol), Under LookNFeel, Window Behavior, modifier key + buttons -> set them all to "Nothing".

Ciao

Vittorio

End of signed message

Sven Neumann
2003-09-03 01:13:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Vittorio writes:

You can adjust and re-place a selection by using Alt-drag.

(This sentence is taken from the tips shown at startup and also reachable from the Help menu. There are some more nice tips there...)

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2003-09-03 02:27:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 15:43, Vittorio wrote:

In 1.3, but it is probably the same in 1.2, you use Alt+mousedrag to move the selection without its content. Some window managers like Gnome2's metacity, however, bind Alt+drag to moving windows around, so you need to press Ctrl along.

cheers

Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk
2003-09-03 06:30:06 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hold down the Alt key, then move the selection frame. Note that Alt is often bound to a different action - in Gnome, check your keybindings, in KDE - ditto (not sure of the details for KDE).

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, "Vittorio" == Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio> How can I move a selection around a picture, that is (and more Vittorio> precisely), move the frame of the selection only not its content -----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire

David Neary
2003-09-03 09:44:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Vittorio wrote:

In 1.2, Alt-move works, or Ctrl-Alt-move if your window manager grabs Alt-drag (as kwm did in KDE 2).

In 1.3 there is a mode for this... "Move selection Outline" in the move tool options. This can be toggled with Alt, as in 1.2.

Cheers, Dave.

Eric Pierce
2003-09-06 01:46:18 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hold down the Alt key, then move the selection frame. Note that Alt is often
bound to a different action - in Gnome, check your keybindings, in KDE - ditto

I use IceWM and this is also the case (alt-click moves the entire window in IceWM).

Does anyone know a way to reassign this in IceWM?

I asked this a while ago on the IceWM list, but didn't receive a reply.

Thanks, Eric Pierce

(not sure of the details for KDE).

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, "Vittorio" == Vittorio wrote:

Vittorio> How can I move a selection around a picture, that is (and more Vittorio> precisely), move the frame of the selection only not its content
-----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire