RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Solving Bug 356716 – GimpZo omPreview is broken in some plug-ins

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Solving Bug 356716 – GimpZoom Preview is broken in some plug-ins Aurimas Juška 19 Jul 10:52
  Solving Bug 356716 – GimpZo omPreview is broken in some plug-ins Sven Neumann 23 Jul 23:24
Aurimas Juška
2007-07-19 10:52:18 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Solving Bug 356716 – GimpZoom Preview is broken in some plug-ins

Hi,

Some plug-ins which are left, are not so easy to fix, so some discussion:

* jigsaw -- looks like lot of code would have to be changed to make it work with GimpZoomPreview correctly. However, I don't understand why this plug-in would need zoom preview at all. It doesn't do anything that someone would like to check at high zoom level. My suggestion: use GimpPreview instead.

* polar, whirlpinch -- both need fetching pixels. Of course, it's possible to ask core to scale down some part, but I don't think we would like to do that for each pixel. Efficient solution would be to scale small regions (tiles) and cache them. For example, lens is doing that. However, it is not very easy to implement (or copy paste from somewhere) such functionality and I think such functionality should be provided by core.

Sven Neumann
2007-07-23 23:24:18 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Solving Bug 356716 – GimpZo omPreview is broken in some plug-ins

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 11:52 +0300, Aurimas Juška wrote:

* jigsaw -- looks like lot of code would have to be changed to make it work with GimpZoomPreview correctly. However, I don't understand why this plug-in would need zoom preview at all. It doesn't do anything that someone would like to check at high zoom level. My suggestion: use GimpPreview instead.

You probably mean GimpDrawablePreview as GimpPreview is abstract. I agree that it is probably best to go back to a simple scrollable preview for this plug-in.

* polar, whirlpinch -- both need fetching pixels. Of course, it's possible to ask core to scale down some part, but I don't think we would like to do that for each pixel. Efficient solution would be to scale small regions (tiles) and cache them. For example, lens is doing that. However, it is not very easy to implement (or copy paste from somewhere) such functionality and I think such functionality should be provided by core.

The core does the scaling quite efficiently. So unless it turns out to be a performance problem, I don't see any need to add complex caching to the plug-ins. If at all, this should be done in the GimpZoomPreview itself and we can leave that to be done for the time after 2.4.

Sven