RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp Ruby

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-ruby Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Jul 13:21
Gimp Ruby Scott Lembcke 15 Jul 21:41
  Gimp Ruby Sven Neumann 16 Jul 17:31
Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-07-15 13:21:55 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

gimp-ruby

Hi,

I'm sorry if the question is lame (I really don't think it is :)), but gimp-ruby was considered a successful GSoC 2006 project. Latest update in SVN is from December 2006, which is post-SoC.

Why wasn't it ever released as a tarball with a version to be packaged by distros? Does it have known regressions, instabilities, not complete API coverage? It feels like the project is forgotten.

Alexandre

Scott Lembcke
2007-07-15 21:41:20 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Gimp Ruby

I suppose I'm most qualified to answer that. (I still lurk on the mailing list) It hasn't been forgotten, just put on the back burner.

At the moment, I'm unsure what to do with it as it requires Gimp 2.3. I tried doing a bit of advertising on a couple Ruby sites, but nobody seemed interested in installing the development version of Gimp to try/use it. With only a couple people that I know of using it, the motivation level for working on it is pretty low compared to some of my other projects.

Several times I've considered backporting it to 2.2, but there were a couple of things that it would use that are becoming deprecated as of 2.4. Waiting out the 2.4 release seems to be a bit of a mistake perhaps as I've been doing that for almost a year now. What do you mailing list folks think I should do?

Sven Neumann
2007-07-16 17:31:01 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Gimp Ruby

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 14:41 -0500, Scott Lembcke wrote:

Several times I've considered backporting it to 2.2, but there were a couple of things that it would use that are becoming deprecated as of 2.4. Waiting out the 2.4 release seems to be a bit of a mistake perhaps as I've been doing that for almost a year now. What do you mailing list folks think I should do?

We are trying to release 2.4 very soon now but I don't want to promise anything.

Does your code actually use any features that are new in GIMP 2.4? Otherwise it should compile and run fine on 2.2. If we deprecate any API in 2.4, that doesn't mean that this API would not be supported any longer. It will continue to work until we decide to break the API, perhaps for GIMP 3.0.

Sven