RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

selections workflow???

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

362cdba70707091614s467e1fdc... 07 Oct 20:25
  selections workflow??? David Gowers 10 Jul 03:08
362cdba70707092008t11237553... 07 Oct 20:25
  selections workflow??? David Gowers 10 Jul 07:14
David Gowers
2007-07-10 03:08:44 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

selections workflow???

On 7/10/07, Tom Davidson wrote:

Im going to go nuts - i do not understand the gimp work flow with selections.

When I paste an element on to a layer, i can no access the area of the layer not covered by the element. In on specific example, I moved the contents of a layer slightly to the right. This left a small column of transparency on the left edge. I have tried to select this are to fill or brush but using several different selection tools, but it appears that the element is currently selected and I can not deselect it.

It looks to me like you moved the layer itself rather than its contents, and you are attempting to draw on an area that is beyond the bounds of the layer. What Chris Mohler said would help you in this situation.

It is also more likely that the layer is active, not selected. Selections normally show up as an animated outline ('marching ants')

David Gowers
2007-07-10 07:14:45 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

selections workflow???

On 7/10/07, Tom Davidson wrote:

yes, sounds like Chris suggestions may do the trick. I will try it our 1st thing in the morn when I get back to work.

It looks to me like you moved the layer itself rather than its contents,

i used the move tool with not hot keys. clicked on the element and drug it to the right.... finalized move with the aarow keys. would that move the layer?

Yes.
In this case, it was probably the right thing to do.. The only mistake you made was not finishing with the floating layer (see below)

thank you for the heads up, i will pay more attention to this.

It is also more likely that the layer is active, not selected. Selections normally show up as an animated outline ('marching ants')

so the layer must be active AND selected ? what i referred to as the element or content, did have the marching ants, even when i deselected all.

AFAIK this only happens for floating layers (When you paste, that creates a floating layer; The floating layer will remain active and selected until you either delete it, anchor it, or turn it into a new layer (by selecting 'layers->new layer' from the menus)

AND i could only fill/brush inside this boundary but i obviously need to fill outside the boundary.

'Lock alpha' is enabled by default for floating selections (see the Layers dialog, underneath the Opacity control.)