RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Mouse problems using Wacom tablets

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.73993.1182840295.16... 07 Oct 20:25
  Mouse problems using Wacom tablets Guillermo Espertino 26 Jun 21:21
mailman.74714.1182930124.16... 07 Oct 20:25
  Mouse problems using Wacom tablets Luis A. Florit 28 Jun 03:08
Guillermo Espertino
2007-06-26 21:21:59 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Luis wrote:

I tried to install Inkscape Fedora RPM, but for some reason the last repository version seems highly broken (at least with my package setup). I should compile it by myself when I have some time (lots of libraries and dependencies).

There are autopackages available at the inkscape website. You can choose the latest stable version or svn compilations. It's not the cleanest way to install a package, but it will work for your tests.

Anyway, your problem description is EXACTLY mine. Did you try disabling the eraser (not the stylus)? In that way, the mouse works (but not the eraser, of course). You should move the stylus to 'activate' the mouse. Is this also the behavior in Inkscape?

My pen hasn't an eraser (it isn't a Wacom) so I can't tell. What I could see is the same in Gimp and in Inkscape. Once you've used the tablet, it seems to "catch" the pointer, and the mouse becomes unuseful for the app.
But if you close the program, everything works as it should. I'm guessing it's a GTK problem because Gimp and Inkscape share the same menu for activating the tablet. But I really don't know if I'm right. Somebody pointed here that is a problem fixed in the newest versions of gtk+ and linuxwacom, but I'll have to wait those libraries to be in the Ubuntu repos, since I'm not so comfortable experimenting with that kind of libraries (GTK mostly, I don't want to break something if I don't know how to fix it - at least in my computer for work :-p).

G.

Luis A. Florit
2007-06-28 03:08:40 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Luis wrote:

I tried to install Inkscape Fedora RPM, but for some reason the last repository version seems highly broken (at least with my package setup). I should compile it by myself when I have some time (lots of libraries and dependencies).

There are autopackages available at the inkscape website. You can choose the latest stable version or svn compilations. It's not the cleanest way to install a package, but it will work for your tests.

Perfect. I installed and tested it (see below).

Anyway, your problem description is EXACTLY mine. Did you try disabling the eraser (not the stylus)? In that way, the mouse works (but not the eraser, of course). You should move the stylus to 'activate' the mouse. Is this also the behavior in Inkscape?

My pen hasn't an eraser (it isn't a Wacom) so I can't tell. What I could see is the same in Gimp and in Inkscape. Once you've used the tablet, it seems to "catch" the pointer, and the mouse becomes unuseful for the app.
But if you close the program, everything works as it should.

For my GIMP you don't need to close it. The mouse always works in other apps. Only in GIMP, and in the canvas, it does not work.

I'm guessing it's a GTK problem because Gimp and Inkscape share the same menu for activating the tablet. But I really don't know if I'm right. Somebody pointed here that is a problem fixed in the newest versions of gtk+ and linuxwacom, but I'll have to wait those libraries to be in the Ubuntu repos, since I'm not so comfortable experimenting with that kind of libraries (GTK mostly, I don't want to break something if I don't know how to fix it - at least in my computer for work :-p).

For me, Inkscape worked TOO WELL (?!). I mean, I opened the Inkscape, and everything worked without changing the preferences: mouse, stylus and eraser. I then opened the preferences, and everything was DISABLED! I enabled everything, and everything still worked. I disabled everything, and everything STILL worked... Crazy.

When changing the state of the input devices, I got errors in the console, though:

(inkscape:6099): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed (inkscape:6099): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_scrolled_window_add: assertion `bin->child == NULL' failed (inkscape:6099): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed (inkscape:6099): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed (inkscape:6099): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed (inkscape:6099): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_scrolled_window_add: assertion `bin->child == NULL' failed (inkscape:6099): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed (inkscape:6099): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

Another strange thing is that the 3 devices picked up the same tool. I mean, I couldn't set one tool for stylus and other for the mouse. But I don't know if that is even possible in Inkscape.

If someone still was trying to understand what was happening, he will give up now! :-)

Thanks,

L.