RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

APNG support

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

APNG support Andrew Smith 25 Jun 16:43
  APNG support Sven Neumann 25 Jun 20:21
Andrew Smith
2007-06-25 16:43:24 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

APNG support

Hi

Sorry I don't know if this is the right list for this message.

I was wondering whether there is any interest in having The Gimp support the APNG format? And if so, whether any of the Gimp developers would be willing to write it?

The format has been designed to build on PNG, so whatever processing is done on regular PNG files will apply to APNG files and frames. The format also mostly mirrors the features of Animated GIF, so from a GUI point of view any program that works with Animated GIFs will need only minor changes to support all the APNG features.

The patch for libpng, to do the decoding, is available here: http://littlesvr.ca/apng/ I can port it to newer/older versions of libpng if you need it.

There is also a short tutorial on using the patched libpng to work with animations, including examples: http://littlesvr.ca/apng/tutorial/

I have never worked on The Gimp so I can't write a patch, all I can offer is help with the patched libpng, and to explain the specification if it's confusing.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sven Neumann
2007-06-25 20:21:12 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

APNG support

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 10:43 -0400, Andrew Smith wrote:

I was wondering whether there is any interest in having The Gimp support the APNG format? And if so, whether any of the Gimp developers would be willing to write it?

In my opinion APNG is the wrong approach and it is very unfortunate that the Firefox developers seems to think that APNG supprt is more important than MNG support.

But GIMP is modular and nothing keeps you or anyone else from writing a plug-in that adds APNG support to GIMP. Since we aren't going to include or depend on a patched version of libpng, such a plug-in would have to be distributed separately.

Sven