RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2.3.18 deletes exif data from images (2)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

18 of 20 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Alexander Rabtchevich 20 Jun 09:06
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Mukund 20 Jun 09:22
   2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Mukund 20 Jun 09:56
2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Luis A. Florit 21 Jun 02:01
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Alexander Rabtchevich 21 Jun 07:08
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Mukund 21 Jun 07:33
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Sven Neumann 21 Jun 07:59
   2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Alex Pounds 21 Jun 08:58
    2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Sven Neumann 21 Jun 09:19
2.3.18 deletes exif data from images (2) Luis A. Florit 22 Jun 04:25
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images (2) Liam R E Quin 22 Jun 04:38
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images (2) Mukund Sivaraman 22 Jun 08:36
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images (2) Mukund Sivaraman 22 Jun 08:37
2.3.18 deletes exif data from images (2) Luis A. Florit 24 Jun 01:40
mailman.71691.1182410514.16... 07 Oct 20:25
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Luis A. Florit 22 Jun 02:31
   2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Alexandre Prokoudine 22 Jun 02:44
mailman.71647.1182404064.16... 07 Oct 20:25
  2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Luis A. Florit 22 Jun 03:02
   2.3.18 deletes exif data from images Mukund Sivaraman 22 Jun 08:34
Alexander Rabtchevich
2007-06-20 09:06:53 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

2.3.18 deletes exif data from images

Haven't found in bugs and SVN changelog. GIMP 2.3.18 (Windows) deletes exif data from images.

Mukund
2007-06-20 09:22:50 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Alexander

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:06:53AM +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Haven't found in bugs and SVN changelog. GIMP 2.3.18 (Windows) deletes exif data from images.

There is a similar bug on bugzilla.gnome.org filed against the GIMP component (it may have been closed recently). Please find the bug and attach your source image (original) to it. It may be that your image's EXIF data is invalid and missing tags required in various IFDs. Raphael has put a patch into GIMP trunk recently to work around this issue and you can try that and see if the EXIF data is still deleted. If you can't find the bug, please file a new bug with the image in question and reply to this thread with the bug number.

Kind regards,

Mukund

Mukund
2007-06-20 09:56:34 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:52:50PM +0530, Mukund wrote:

There is a similar bug on bugzilla.gnome.org filed against the GIMP component (it may have been closed recently). Please find the bug and attach your source image (original) to it. It may be that your image's EXIF data is invalid and missing tags required in various IFDs. Raphael has put a patch into GIMP trunk recently to work around this issue and you can try that and see if the EXIF data is still deleted. If you can't find the bug, please file a new bug with the image in question and reply to this thread with the bug number.

Here is the bug in question:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=446809

Luis A. Florit
2007-06-21 02:01:16 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Mukund,

Hi Alexander

In fact, this bug in 2.3.18 is not related (only) to Bibble.

I have a Panasonic FZ50 whose EXIF data was always preserved by GIMP. Now, opening a file straight from the camera with GIMP and immediately saving it deletes the EXIF. And in the "Save as..." dialog, there is no option to save (or not) the EXIF, as it always was. Not evey a grey unavailable option.

I reported this issue a week ago to this list, but got no answer.

Thanks,

L.

Alexander Rabtchevich
2007-06-21 07:08:49 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

I can prove this for RAWs from UFRaw CVS as plug-in (exiv2 2.14 SVN) with Minolta G500 and Minolta 7D and jpg from Sony alpha RAW (Photoshop CS2).

Luis A. Florit wrote:

I have a Panasonic FZ50 whose EXIF data was always preserved by GIMP. Now, opening a file straight from the camera with GIMP and immediately saving it deletes the EXIF. And in the "Save as..." dialog, there is no option to save (or not) the EXIF, as it always was. Not evey a grey unavailable option.

Thanks,

L.

Mukund
2007-06-21 07:33:55 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Luis

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:01:16PM -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Yes, it's not limited to Bibble. That's a title stated by the reporter, but the bug encompasses the class of bugs where EXIF info is not saved when the EXIF info in the source image is broken (missing required tags). Various cameras/applications can make such images with faulty EXIF info.

Raphael: Btw, even if we accept broken EXIF data, the EXIF data we write back should be fixed and valid.

First, do a check with GIMP trunk and see if the issue has been fixed. If not, please report your image (the original source image) at the same bug too. We'll take a look at it and if it's a different bug, then we'll file another one for it. Please mark the bug as reopened too when you attach the image.

Kind regards,

Mukund

Sven Neumann
2007-06-21 07:59:08 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 21:01 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

There has never been such an option in the "Save as..." dialog. That's probably the reason why no one understood your mail and cared to answer.

Sven

Alex Pounds
2007-06-21 08:58:46 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 07:59:08AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 21:01 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Now, opening a file straight from the camera with GIMP and immediately saving it deletes the EXIF. And in the "Save as..." dialog, there is no option to save (or not) the EXIF, as it always was.

There has never been such an option in the "Save as..." dialog.

My copy of the Gimp disagrees with you on this point:

http://www.ethicsgirls.com/stuff/exifshot.jpg

Sven Neumann
2007-06-21 09:19:58 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 07:58 +0100, Alex Pounds wrote:

That's not the Save As dialog which would be the file-chooser you get earlier in the process of saving an image. This is the dialog created by the JPEG plug-in.

Sven

Luis A. Florit
2007-06-22 02:31:52 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

There has never been such an option in the "Save as..." dialog. That's probably the reason why no one understood your mail and cared to answer.

Sven

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 07:58 +0100, Alex Pounds wrote:

That's not the Save As dialog which would be the file-chooser you get earlier in the process of saving an image. This is the dialog created by the JPEG plug-in.

Sven

Thanks for (yet another) (double) stupid answer, Sven.

L.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-06-22 02:44:27 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 6/22/07, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Thanks for (yet another) (double) stupid answer, Sven.

We are not going to compensate loss of Carol by become rude ourselves are we? Could we possibly take a deep breath, count to 10 and smile friendlier to each other?

Alexandre

Luis A. Florit
2007-06-22 03:02:47 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Mukund,

Yes, it's not limited to Bibble. That's a title stated by the reporter, but the bug encompasses the class of bugs where EXIF info is not saved when the EXIF info in the source image is broken (missing required tags).
Various cameras/applications can make such images with faulty EXIF info.

Please excuse me, Mukund, but I will be very surprised if this has something to do with broken EXIF data.

I have 3 cameras: a Canon SD500, a Nikon Coolpix 4500, and a Panasonic FZ50. For the 3, I never have any problem with GIMP (or any other program). Now, for the 3, the "Save as..." dialog (yes, Sven, the "Save as..." dialog) show no "Save EXIF data" option, and for the 3 the EXIF data is now removed.

So:

1) Is the EXIF source in the all the 3 cameras (of 3 different brands) broken? 2) Why all the other graphic programs that I use (showfoto, gqview, gthumb, exiftool) always showed the EXIF data with no problem, and still show? 3) Why the "Save EXIF data" option in the "Save as..." dialog is no longer present? 4) Why GIMP deletes the EXIF data now? 5) If broken, why previous versions of GIMP preserve the EXIF data? GIMP 2.3.16 2.3.17 and 2.2.14 still work perfectly for me (in this respect; I had to stop using 2.3.17 because it crashed consistently, probably because of its known bug).

First, do a check with GIMP trunk and see if the issue has been fixed. If not, please report your image (the original source image) at the same bug too. We'll take a look at it and if it's a different bug, then we'll file another one for it. Please mark the bug as reopened too when you attach the image.

Ok.

Thanks the time you took to answer, Mukund.

Cheers,

Luis.

Luis A. Florit
2007-06-22 04:25:42 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Mukund,

Yes, it's not limited to Bibble. That's a title stated by the reporter, but the bug encompasses the class of bugs where EXIF info is not saved when the EXIF info in the source image is broken (missing required tags).
Various cameras/applications can make such images with faulty EXIF info.

Please excuse me, Mukund, but I will be very surprised if this has something to do with broken EXIF data.

I have 3 cameras: a Canon SD500, a Nikon Coolpix 4500, and a Panasonic FZ50. For the 3, I never have any problem with GIMP (or any other program). Now, for the 3, the "Save as..." dialog (yes, Sven, the "Save as..." dialog) show no "Save EXIF data" option, and for the 3 the EXIF data is now removed.

So:

1) Is the EXIF source in the all the 3 cameras (of 3 different brands) broken? 2) Why all the other graphic programs that I use (showfoto, gqview, gthumb, exiftool) always showed the EXIF data with no problem, and still show? 3) Why the "Save EXIF data" option in the "Save as..." dialog is no longer present? 4) Why GIMP deletes the EXIF data now? 5) If broken, why previous versions of GIMP preserve the EXIF data? GIMP 2.3.16 2.3.17 and 2.2.14 still work perfectly for me (in this respect; I had to stop using 2.3.17 because it crashed consistently, probably because of its known bug).

Ok.

I realized what happens.

Compiling the trunk, I saw that GIMP (also version >= 2.3.18) needs "libexif >= 0.6.15", while there is no RPM repository with libexif version bigger than 0.6.13. (Probably most RPM based distros have the libexif outdated).

Observe that version libexif 0.6.15 has a delicate security bug that was only fixed in the last version 0.6.16 (2007-06-12).

My fault, I should have checked better the config log. Sorry.

Thanks again, Mukund.

L.

Liam R E Quin
2007-06-22 04:38:18 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 23:25 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Compiling the trunk, I saw that GIMP (also version >= 2.3.18) needs "libexif >= 0.6.15", while there is no RPM repository with libexif version bigger than 0.6.13. (Probably most RPM based distros have the libexif outdated).

[...]

Same happened to me. I asked in #mandriva-cooker and got,

well, I need a newer libexif we are 2 releases behind, and unfortunately gimp seems to need one newer than we have
Ankh: okay
Ankh: I'll update it :)

so we should have a new one soon.

Liam

Mukund Sivaraman
2007-06-22 08:34:33 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Luis

Luis A. Florit wrote:

As I'm yet to see the actual original image in question, speculating about what is wrong with it is pointless. Please attach the image to the bug and we'll have a look at it and find out what is going on. There is (well was) only one place where EXIF info was discarded in GIMP, and hence I suggested what the problem be, but we may not know until you attach your image first to a bug and show it to us.

Kind regards,

Mukund

Mukund Sivaraman
2007-06-22 08:36:07 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Luis

Luis A. Florit wrote:

Ah good. So there lies your problem :-)

Kind regards,

Mukund

Mukund Sivaraman
2007-06-22 08:37:26 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Luis A. Florit wrote:

Observe that version libexif 0.6.15 has a delicate security bug that was only fixed in the last version 0.6.16 (2007-06-12).

Btw I use Fedora 7 (RPM based) and we have 0.6.15 in it.

Kind regards,

Mukund

Luis A. Florit
2007-06-24 01:40:32 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Mukund,

Ah good. So there lies your problem :-)

Yes. Thanks for your time, and sorry for the mess.

Btw I use Fedora 7 (RPM based) and we have 0.6.15 in it.

I still use Fedora 6 (too much work to find time for upgrading...) with 11 repositories, and the most recent is 0.6.13. But this is not unusual with Fedora. After many years with Red Hat/Fedora, am planing to migrate to Debian because things like this.

Anyway, I'll download the 0.6.15 tarball and compile it.

Thanks again,

L.