RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Enable Debugging ("Tracing") in Tiny-Fu-based-Script-Fu?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Enable Debugging ("Tracing") in Tiny-Fu-based-Script-Fu? Michael Schumacher 17 Apr 10:27
  Enable Debugging ("Tracing") in Tiny-Fu-based-Script-Fu? Kevin Cozens 18 Apr 05:27
Michael Schumacher
2007-04-17 10:27:29 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

in the Tiny-Fu FAQ (http://www.ve3syb.ca/software/gimp/tiny-fu-faq.html), there's a remark about debugging scripts:

"[...] the debugging of scripts is much easier in Tiny-Fu. Tracing of script execution can be turned on and off at any point in a script. When tracing is turned on you will get very detailed information about the execution of the script."

Can this be enabled globally for all scripts - the scripts shipped with GIMP and third-party scripts, too? If so, it might be a good idea to turn this on in the development branch.

If not: there should be an example how tracing can be enabled, and doing so should be encouraged for script development.

Michael

Kevin Cozens
2007-04-18 05:27:03 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Michael Schumacher wrote:

in the Tiny-Fu FAQ (http://www.ve3syb.ca/software/gimp/tiny-fu-faq.html), there's a remark about debugging scripts:

[snip]

Can this be enabled globally for all scripts - the scripts shipped with GIMP and third-party scripts, too? If so, it might be a good idea to turn this on in the development branch.

Yes, it could be turned on for all scripts. When you see how much output that would generate I think you will quickly realize that it is a bad idea. Not to mention the time it takes to output all the tracing information slows down script execution.

> If not: there should be an example how tracing can be enabled, and doing so > should be encouraged for script development.

Thanks for the reminder. I will add an entry to the FAQ about how to turn on tracing mode. Tracing mode can help during script development. I'm not sure about encouraging it. I'd rather people were encouraged to format scripts properly.