RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Denoising Plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Denoising Plugin Jim Sabatke 29 Mar 22:31
  Denoising Plugin gg@catking.net 30 Mar 00:59
   Denoising Plugin Jim Sabatke 31 Mar 20:23
Denoising Plugin William Skaggs 29 Mar 22:50
  Denoising Plugin Robert L Krawitz 29 Mar 22:52
   Denoising Plugin Jim Sabatke 29 Mar 23:10
    Denoising Plugin Robert L Krawitz 29 Mar 23:34
  Denoising Plugin Jim Sabatke 29 Mar 23:20
Jim Sabatke
2007-03-29 22:31:50 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted slashdot's attention a short while ago.

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/99611463/article.pl

It gets very good reviews compared to Noise Ninja and other commercial products.

I was wondering if it is good enough that you might be willing to include it in the standard distro? The only holdback I can see is that it is written in C++.

I've got it running on SuSE 10.0 and there is a windows version available online.

The author has no objections to including it.

Jim

William Skaggs
2007-03-29 22:50:02 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

Jim Sabatke wrote:

I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted slashdot's attention a short while ago. [...]

Jim, there is already a GREYCstoration gimp plugin, which you can find out about by googling "greycstoration gimp plugin". Is yours better? In any case, the main gimp distribution doesn't currently include anything written in C++.

Best wishes,

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Robert L Krawitz
2007-03-29 22:52:22 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:50:02 -0700 From: "William Skaggs"

Jim Sabatke wrote: > I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted > slashdot's attention a short while ago. [...]

Jim, there is already a GREYCstoration gimp plugin, which you can find out about by googling "greycstoration gimp plugin". Is yours better? In any case, the main gimp distribution doesn't currently include anything written in C++.

Greycstoration is extremely slow. If there's a faster one that does a good job (and at least with the settings I tried, greycstoration didn't do that great of a job), I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Jim Sabatke
2007-03-29 23:10:03 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

Robert L Krawitz wrote:

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:50:02 -0700 From: "William Skaggs"

Jim Sabatke wrote: > I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted > slashdot's attention a short while ago. [...]

Greycstoration is extremely slow. If there's a faster one that does a good job (and at least with the settings I tried, greycstoration didn't do that great of a job), I'd be very interested in seeing it.

The new version is MUCH faster and does a much better job than the old plugin. The Greycstoration's original author and the gimp plugin's original author never did see eye to eye on the plugin.

You can try out the new plugin, source at:

http://sound.eti.pg.gda.pl/~greg/gimp/

It's basically a windows version, but if you put CC=g++ and LDFLAGS=-lpthread in the ENV, then gimptool does it's job on my version of linux just fine (SuSE 10.0). It shows up under "Filters->Enhance"

Jim

Jim Sabatke
2007-03-29 23:20:32 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

William Skaggs wrote:

Jim Sabatke wrote:

I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted slashdot's attention a short while ago. [...]

Best wishes,

-- Bill

Bill,

The current gimp site Greycstoration plugin has been abandoned and wasn't that good to begin with. There has been a lot of work on the source code, plus a better gimp interface.

Jim

Robert L Krawitz
2007-03-29 23:34:19 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:10:03 -0500 From: Jim Sabatke

Robert L Krawitz wrote: > Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:50:02 -0700 > From: "William Skaggs"
>
> Jim Sabatke wrote:
> > I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted > > slashdot's attention a short while ago. [...] >
> Jim, there is already a GREYCstoration gimp plugin, which you can find > out about by googling "greycstoration gimp plugin". Is yours better? > In any case, the main gimp distribution doesn't currently include anything > written in C++.
>
> Greycstoration is extremely slow. If there's a faster one that does a > good job (and at least with the settings I tried, greycstoration > didn't do that great of a job), I'd be very interested in seeing it.

The new version is MUCH faster and does a much better job than the old plugin. The Greycstoration's original author and the gimp plugin's original author never did see eye to eye on the plugin.

You can try out the new plugin, source at:

http://sound.eti.pg.gda.pl/~greg/gimp/

It's basically a windows version, but if you put CC=g++ and LDFLAGS=-lpthread in the ENV, then gimptool does it's job on my version of linux just fine (SuSE 10.0). It shows up under "Filters->Enhance"

At least at first glance, it does appear to be markedly better.

gg@catking.net
2007-03-30 00:59:04 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:31:50 +0200, Jim Sabatke wrote:

I've just compiled a plugin based on a denoising program that attracted slashdot's attention a short while ago.

It gets very good reviews compared to Noise Ninja and other commercial products.

I was wondering if it is good enough that you might be willing to include it in the standard distro? The only holdback I can see is that it is written in C++.

I've got it running on SuSE 10.0 and there is a windows version available online.

Jim _________________________________

very interesting filter.

I just did a quick comparison rescaling some of thier sample images with lanczos interpolation in gimp.

Generally, lanczos was inbetween cubic and the denoising filter. The latter usually produces images that are easier on the eye than both cubic and lanczos but on closer inspection this is not without a price.

Denoising grossly simplifies the image in cleaning it up. The girl in hat image, res_lana.png becomes badly distorted and the result is worse than both lanczos and cubic. (This is going by thier images on the demo page).

Ringing, while present, is less than gimp lanczos.

However, quite a bit of detail is lost and the biggest defect seems to be constast takes a bit hit.

The overall effect is pleasing and probably would be good for a lot of applications.

Like any image processing it's a case of horses for courses and what defects in the result are acceptable in a specific application with a specific image.

Thanks for bringing this up. A useful filter to have.

gg.

Jim Sabatke
2007-03-31 20:23:39 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Denoising Plugin

gg@catking.net wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:31:50 +0200, Jim Sabatke wrote:

Jim _________________________________

very interesting filter.

I just did a quick comparison rescaling some of thier sample images with lanczos interpolation in gimp.

Generally, lanczos was inbetween cubic and the denoising filter. The latter usually produces images that are easier on the eye than both cubic and lanczos but on closer inspection this is not without a price.

Denoising grossly simplifies the image in cleaning it up. The girl in hat image, res_lana.png becomes badly distorted and the result is worse than both lanczos and cubic. (This is going by thier images on the demo page).

Ringing, while present, is less than gimp lanczos.

However, quite a bit of detail is lost and the biggest defect seems to be constast takes a bit hit.

The overall effect is pleasing and probably would be good for a lot of applications.

Like any image processing it's a case of horses for courses and what defects in the result are acceptable in a specific application with a specific image.

Thanks for bringing this up. A useful filter to have.

gg.

Thanks for the analysis. This code is still undergoing active development, with students scheduled to keep it up. I'm passing your comments to the development team.

Jim