RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

A request for your input.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

A request for your input. lmth@deakin.edu.au 22 Mar 06:54
  A request for your input. Tony Freeman 23 Mar 01:02
lmth@deakin.edu.au
2007-03-22 06:54:07 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hello

My name is Lara Thynne and I am a PhD candidate at Deakin University Australia. I am currently researching the boundary between work and leisure activities directly related to the open source community and open source program development.

As part of this I am running a survey at the following address.

https://dcarf.deakin.edu.au/surveys/oss/

The survey is completely confidential and looks at your views and motivations to use Open Source software and to participate in the community.

It will only take a five to ten minutes to complete and your contact details will not be recorded. You can withdraw your participation at any stage.

I sincerely apologize for the spammish nature of this e-mail - I don't mean to abuse this list. I am trying to collect responses from as many open source developers and users as possible and a mailing list like can be the only way to reach many developers.

Thanks again

Lara

P.S The program that I am using is open source, of course (www.phpsurveyor.org)!

Tony Freeman
2007-03-23 01:02:14 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I have a issue about a couple of your questions. The one that prompted me to write this note is the one that says:

[quote] Members of the open source community generally agree that .... 1) You will make money by working on open source projects. [/quote]

This somehow strikes me as a loaded statement. The answer is obviously 'strongly disagree'. For instance, I've written a game, it is open source and GPLv2 or whatever GPL version you choose. I did not make any money because of it. There was no open source fund that I was drawing from in order to write this game and make it available free over the internet. Where's my pot of money for doing this?

I believe that the proper way to state this is and get a variety of answers is:

1) You CAN make money by working on open source projects.

-- Tony

lmth@deakin.edu.au wrote:

Hello

My name is Lara Thynne and I am a PhD candidate at Deakin University Australia. I am currently researching the boundary between work and leisure activities directly related to the open source community and open source program development.

As part of this I am running a survey at the following address.

https://dcarf.deakin.edu.au/surveys/oss/

The survey is completely confidential and looks at your views and motivations to use Open Source software and to participate in the community.

It will only take a five to ten minutes to complete and your contact details will not be recorded. You can withdraw your participation at any stage.

I sincerely apologize for the spammish nature of this e-mail - I don't mean to abuse this list. I am trying to collect responses from as many open source developers and users as possible and a mailing list like can be the only way to reach many developers.

Thanks again

Lara

P.S The program that I am using is open source, of course (www.phpsurveyor.org)!