RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Deskew plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Deskew plugin Karl Chen 16 Mar 03:52
  Deskew plugin Sven Neumann 16 Mar 08:45
Karl Chen
2007-03-16 03:52:19 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Deskew plugin

[I'm resending this through Gmane because XCF mailman seems to be dropping mail from me.]

Hi all,

I've created a Deskew plugin for The GIMP.

Deskew, also known as auto straighten, rotates an image such that text is straight -- useful when dealing with scanned images. This feature has sorely missing from open source :) I spent a long time searching for deskew and posts on the Internet only recommended commercial applications.

I finally found an obscure, abandoned project called pagetools that has an algorithm for finding the skew angle of a PBM image. Originally I hacked up a script using imagemagick and that has worked well.

Now I've created this plugin to integrate Deskew into GIMP. I would love to get feedback on it. This is my first excursion into GIMP development and at this point it works well for me but I haven't tested it on other versions of GIMP, image types, etc. If there's interest in including it in GIMP I'd be happy to "go all the way" (port to C, i18n, Hackordnung, ...). The next feature to add is to automatically enlarge the canvas before rotating, though perhaps that's a feature to add to rotation itself.

http://www.cubewano.org/gimp-deskew-plugin/

Sven Neumann
2007-03-16 08:45:38 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Deskew plugin

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 19:52 -0700, Karl Chen wrote:

Deskew, also known as auto straighten, rotates an image such that text is straight -- useful when dealing with scanned images.

Looks very nice. I have always found this simple to do in GIMP using the Rotate tool in Corrective mode, but perhaps it becomes even simpler if it is done automatically.

We might want to include this plug-in for the 2.6 release. Please keep on hacking and propose it again after the 2.4 release is out and we have branched for 2.6.

Sven