RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Google SoC: Help with proposal

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Google SoC: Help with proposal Matthew Wood 06 Mar 06:44
  Google SoC: Help with proposal Michael Schumacher 09 Mar 01:04
Matthew Wood
2007-03-06 06:44:13 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I'd really like to participate in Google SoC and specifically with the GIMP project. I am only a second year CS major though and so am still in the early stages of my education. I'm interested in the "search-based menu browser" idea, but was unsure how to form a proposal.

The GIMP Soc wiki says that an application should include a time line for implementing the certain parts of the proposed project. I have experience with C , but not with anything on the scale of gimp, and so although I can imagine how I'd practically break this problem down piece by piece, I'd need a little help getting started with the code.

Does anyone have any advice for how I should get started writing my proposal? Am I expected to have a lot more experience then I do? This would be the first "real" program I've ever worked on.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me.

Michael Schumacher
2007-03-09 01:04:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Matthew Wood wrote:

Hi Matthew,

I'd really like to participate in Google SoC and specifically with the GIMP project. I am only a second year CS major though and so am still in the early stages of my education. I'm interested in the "search-based menu browser" idea, but was unsure how to form a proposal.

thanks for your interest in participating.

We are currently discussing the SoC project ideas at http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2007-March/thread.html#17379

There are different views on this project - see Peter's and Akkana's mails. Maybe you want to participate in this discussion as well - you could tell us why you did choose this idea, for example.

The GIMP Soc wiki says that an application should include a time line for implementing the certain parts of the proposed project. I have experience with C , but not with anything on the scale of gimp, and so although I can imagine how I'd practically break this problem down piece by piece, I'd need a little help getting started with the code.

If you can break up the project in smaller pieces, then you've got a time line. It will list milestones instead of dates.

Does anyone have any advice for how I should get started writing my proposal?

You can summarize how you do expect the menu browser to work, from a user's point of view - where it will be shown in the ui, how the user can interact with it, and so on.

This will decide about the steps that have to be done from a developer's point of view, and this is when you can being to assign milestones.

HTH, Michael