RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

14 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Marco Ciampa 05 Feb 22:38
  strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Sven Neumann 06 Feb 08:38
   strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Marco Ciampa 07 Feb 09:12
    strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Sven Neumann 07 Feb 09:29
     strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Marco Ciampa 07 Feb 13:21
      strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Sven Neumann 08 Feb 07:40
       strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Marco Ciampa 11 Feb 22:00
        strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Marco Ciampa 11 Feb 23:16
         strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Sven Neumann 12 Feb 08:28
          strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Marco Ciampa 12 Feb 12:14
        strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Sven Neumann 12 Feb 08:22
   strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Alexandre Prokoudine 07 Feb 10:31
    strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 07 Feb 14:59
     strange localization behaviour (gimp-2.3-svn) Marco Ciampa 07 Feb 18:13
Marco Ciampa
2007-02-05 22:38:23 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I just noted this strange behaviour: when I see the the Image menu->View->Display filters->Color Deficient Vision options (Protanopia, Deuteranopia, Tritanopia) with the Italian locale, _all_ but these three options are translated. Is it my svn copy fault or does it have this behaviour in other languages too?

TIA

Sven Neumann
2007-02-06 08:38:31 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:38 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

I just noted this strange behaviour: when I see the the Image menu->View->Display filters->Color Deficient Vision options (Protanopia, Deuteranopia, Tritanopia) with the Italian locale, _all_ but these three options are translated. Is it my svn copy fault or does it have this behaviour in other languages too?

Sorry, but I don't understand your question. What's translated and what's not? And did you already check in the it.po files that the strings have been translated at all?

Sven

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-07 09:12:02 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 08:38:31AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, but I don't understand your question.

Sorry for my bad english...

What's translated and what's not?

The problem seems around the option pulldown menu...

And did you already check in the it.po files that the strings have been translated at all?

Of course, the it.po file is correctly translated.

Maybe I have some problems in the configure procedure?

running ./configure & make I get:

make [...]
Making all in gui
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/app/gui' if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../app -I../../app -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"Gimp-GUI\" -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -DGIMP_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DPANGO_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_MULTIHEAD_SAFE -DGTK_MULTIHEAD_SAFE -g -O2 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -MT gui.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/gui.Tpo" -c -o gui.o gui.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/gui.Tpo" ".deps/gui.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/gui.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from /usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus-glib-lowlevel.h:28, from gui.c:27:
/usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus.h:30:2: error: #error "Please define DBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE to acknowledge your understanding that D-Bus /hasn't reached 1.0 and is subject to protocol and API churn. See the README for a full explanation."
make[3]: *** [gui.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/app/gui' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/app' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk' make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm able to compile again inserting

#define DBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE

in app/gui/gui.c

but I do not think this is the correct way I should follow to compile...

Resolving this error I get another error:

Making all in po-libgimp make[2]: Entering directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/po-libgimp' Makefile:159: *** target pattern contains no `%'. Stop. make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/po-libgimp' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk' make: *** [all] Error 2

Exaclty on the po files where I see the problem, perhaps resolving this fixes it all...

Sven Neumann
2007-02-07 09:29:57 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 09:12 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

In file included from /usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus-glib-lowlevel.h:28, from gui.c:27:
/usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus.h:30:2: error: #error "Please define DBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE to acknowledge your understanding that D-Bus /hasn't reached 1.0 and is subject to protocol and API churn. See the README for a full explanation."
make[3]: *** [gui.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/app/gui' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/app' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk' make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm able to compile again inserting

#define DBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE

in app/gui/gui.c

but I do not think this is the correct way I should follow to compile...

That's another issue. The problem here is that your version of D-Bus is too old. But I think we should add the #define until we decide to depend on a newer version of D-Bus and add a configure check for it.

Making all in po-libgimp make[2]: Entering directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/po-libgimp' Makefile:159: *** target pattern contains no `%'. Stop. make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk/po-libgimp' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/marco/svn-gnome/gimp/trunk' make: *** [all] Error 2

Exaclty on the po files where I see the problem, perhaps resolving this fixes it all...

Yes, that might very well fix the problem for you. I remember that I used to have this issue with the po-libgimp Makefiles myself. Now if only I could remember how I fixed it...

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-02-07 10:31:01 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 2/6/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, but I don't understand your question. What's translated and what's not? And did you already check in the it.po files that the strings have been translated at all?

As of current po-libgimp/it.po

#: ../modules/cdisplay_colorblind.c:67 msgid "Protanopia (insensitivity to red)" msgstr "Protanopia (insensibilità al rosso)"

Alexandre

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-07 13:21:18 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 09:29:57AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 09:12 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

[...]

Yes, that might very well fix the problem for you. I remember that I used to have this issue with the po-libgimp Makefiles myself. Now if only I could remember how I fixed it...

Perhaps may help if I post the source lines of the Makefile that trigger the error:

[...]

all: all-yes

all-yes: $(CATALOGS) all-no:

#here is the problem!
$(GETTEXT_PACKAGE).pot: $(POTFILES)
$(GENPOT)
[...]

TIA

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2007-02-07 14:59:43 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 07:31, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Hi,

#: ../modules/cdisplay_colorblind.c:67 msgid "Protanopia (insensitivity to red)" msgstr "Protanopia (insensibilità al rosso)"

So, do you know if ther eis an Italian word for it,a nd which it is? If there are proper Italian words for that, just send then to the list and we will fix(exceptionally, the normal course would be to ask for the change in bugzilla.gimp.org)

I am the trasnaltor for Brazillian portuguese, and as far as I know these exact terms can be used in my language, so they are not changed in the pt_BR translation as well.

js ->

Alexandre

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-07 18:13:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:59:43AM -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 07:31, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Hi,

So, do you know if ther eis an Italian word for it,a nd which it is? If there are proper Italian words for that, just send then to the list and we will fix(exceptionally, the normal course would be to ask for the change in bugzilla.gimp.org)

I am the trasnaltor for Brazillian portuguese, and as far as I know these exact terms can be used in my language, so they are not changed in the pt_BR translation as well.

The terms are the same in italian (they actually come from Latin) so the translation is correct and complete, thanks.

See the other thread, perhaps the problem is in the automake/autoconf process that creates an invalid Makefile for the po-libgimp directory. I'm sorry, I'm not an expert in automake/autoconf/make so I do not know how should look a correct Makefile to handle correctly the compilation/update of these .po files.

bye

Sven Neumann
2007-02-08 07:40:53 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi Marco,

if I remember correctly this is fixed by removing the generated files POTFILES in all po subdirectories. Try this command in the toplevel gimp source directory:

find . -name POTFILES -exec rm {} \;

Then do a rebuild. The problem here is that the Makefile rules to generate the files used to be broken. We fixed the Makefiles but there's no dependency that would cause the broken files to be regenerated.

Sven

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-11 22:00:21 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:40:53AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi Marco,

if I remember correctly this is fixed by removing the generated files POTFILES in all po subdirectories. Try this command in the toplevel gimp source directory:

Then do a rebuild. The problem here is that the Makefile rules to generate the files used to be broken. We fixed the Makefiles but there's no dependency that would cause the broken files to be regenerated.

Great, it worked! Perhaps that operation could be insterted in the makefile with the command "make clean" (if it's not already present...)

Thanks again.

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-11 23:16:53 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 10:00:21PM +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:40:53AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi Marco,

Great, it worked! Perhaps that operation could be insterted in the makefile with the command "make clean" (if it's not already present...)

Sorry, I was too hasty. It worked for the compilation but the problem remains, as you can see here:

http://www.ciampix.net/screenshot.png

very strange, all the other messages looks translated...

Sven Neumann
2007-02-12 08:22:26 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 22:00 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

No, it shouldn't. This was only necessary once after the Makefiles were changed (some weeks ago). You shouldn't have to do this again.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2007-02-12 08:28:15 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 23:16 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Sorry, I was too hasty. It worked for the compilation but the problem remains, as you can see here:

Not your fault. We forgot to set the translation domain for the enum. This is now fixed in trunk.

Sven

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-12 12:14:04 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 08:28:15AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 23:16 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Not your fault. We forgot to set the translation domain for the enum. This is now fixed in trunk.

Great, thanks, THIS IS FEEDBACK!

I love you gimp developers!