RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

combine crop with scaling

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

combine crop with scaling Alexander Rabtchevich 30 Jan 09:22
  combine crop with scaling Sven Neumann 30 Jan 09:30
Alexander Rabtchevich
2007-01-30 09:22:48 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Current crop implementation (2.3.14) is very nice though it lacks a listbox with user-defined ratios. I really love it. The 2.3.14 has introduced a little inconvenience from my POV: the corner rectangles are too much bright. They interfere with an attempt to value the composition while framing. Could they become less in size and dimmer? Could the saturation of the frame itself become dimmer or be changed by user? The idea of colour inversion (or difference) is wonderful itself.

There are several requests on Russian Gimp list to combine cropping and scaling. I'd ask it too. My typical workflow always contains these operations one after another if fixed ratio is used. I crop the image with fixed ratio, defined by desired picture size, say 1795x1205. The aim is to obtain a final picture of 1795x1205 pixels. So the second operation is to scale the result of the crop to 1795x1205. If a crop tool contained a checkbox: scale to the fixed ratio pixels, one wouldn't have to: select scaling from the menu, type one of the sizes and click scale.

Sven Neumann
2007-01-30 09:30:18 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 10:22 +0200, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

Current crop implementation (2.3.14) is very nice though it lacks a listbox with user-defined ratios. I really love it. The 2.3.14 has introduced a little inconvenience from my POV: the corner rectangles are too much bright. They interfere with an attempt to value the composition while framing. Could they become less in size and dimmer? Could the saturation of the frame itself become dimmer or be changed by user? The idea of colour inversion (or difference) is wonderful itself.

Please read the spec that Peter sent to the list. It clearly explains why the corner frames are so important. We would like them to be alpha-transparent overlays but that's not possible with the current display drawing code. After a lot of experiments we settled for what we have now. I don't think we are going to change that.

When 2.4 is out I would like to port the display to using Cairo and that should allow us to change all this to the better. Until then, please try to understand that we need to concentrate on the important bits now.

There are several requests on Russian Gimp list to combine cropping and scaling. I'd ask it too.

The new rectangle tools are far from being finished. The original authors have stopped working on them and it seems that no one is willing to fix the remaining issues (and there are quite a few of them). So please, by all means, don't bring up new features now. Currently it seems rather unlikely that we will ever get 2.4 out with the planned feature set.

Sven