RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

kdevelop and gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

kdevelop and gimp gg@catking.net 26 Jan 10:33
  kdevelop and gimp Michael Natterer 26 Jan 11:28
   kdevelop and gimp Christopher Curtis 29 Jan 17:09
gg@catking.net
2007-01-26 10:33:21 UTC (about 17 years ago)

kdevelop and gimp

Hi,

I've been using kdevelop for a while when working on gimp just using it as a syntax aware MDI editor.

Last night I finally managed to get full IDE debugging working on gimp. That means full GUI IDE with step, trace and variable evaluation on the fly.

If anyone wants to see what it looks like in action here's screen shot of 2.3 stopped at a breakpoint taken by gimp 2.2

http://www.piments.com/holding/kdev-screen.jpeg

Now I'm sure all the hardcore gimpers are going to pooh-pooh this because they know the code base by heart and real men emacs anyway!

For us lesser mortals this could represent a huge productivity gain. If I'd have sussed this six months ago I'd have saved a huge ammount of time. Ever since moving to Linux I've been frustrated by the lack of something like the Borland IDE that I'd used for years on windoze.

kdevelop has definately come of age now. I was able to import gimp into kdev with a couple of clicks.

I grabbed a fresh gimp cvs tree and just did Project Import in kdev. There were a couple of caveats to get it to compile with a different --prefix and with -O0 -g instead of the standard -O2 so I got variable debugging.

This was pretty trivial but not obvious at first since gimp uses autotools in a non-standard way.

If anyone's interested I can post a couple of tips.

gg.

Michael Natterer
2007-01-26 11:28:50 UTC (about 17 years ago)

kdevelop and gimp

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 10:33 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

I grabbed a fresh gimp cvs tree and just did Project Import in kdev. There were a couple of caveats to get it to compile with a different --prefix and with -O0 -g instead of the standard -O2 so I got variable debugging.

This was pretty trivial but not obvious at first since gimp uses autotools in a non-standard way.

Where exactly was the problem in using a different --prefix and how does GIMP use autotools in a "non-standard" way?

ciao, --mitch

Christopher Curtis
2007-01-29 17:09:23 UTC (about 17 years ago)

kdevelop and gimp

On 1/26/07, Michael Natterer wrote:

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 10:33 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

Where exactly was the problem in using a different --prefix and how does GIMP use autotools in a "non-standard" way?

gg is probably referring to KDevelop's automake manager. I can only assume that it is following some "best practices" that they have themselves derived and what GIMP does doesn't match perfectly.

KDevelop is certainly becoming very useful; I've had it lock up on me (regularly) when trying to edit larger projects imported from other systems though. It seems to especially not like code thrown by Rational Rose.

Chris