RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Save for Web plug-in

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Save for Web plug-in Aurimas Juska 17 Dec 10:15
  Save for Web plug-in Sven Neumann 17 Dec 13:13
   Save for Web plug-in Aurimas Juska 17 Dec 13:58
    Save for Web plug-in Sven Neumann 18 Dec 08:35
  Save for Web plug-in cedric GEMY 18 Dec 22:51
   Save for Web plug-in Aurimas Juska 19 Dec 10:29
    Save for Web plug-in cedric GEMY 19 Dec 22:03
Aurimas Juska
2006-12-17 10:15:21 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Save for Web plug-in

Hi,

Save for Web plug-in is available at http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=8799

The main idea is visual adjustment of various image parameters such as quality,
number of colors, dimensions, etc to reach optimal file size.

Image is shown in two views: original and optimized. Changing any save setting causes optimized view to be redrawn reflecting quality of the optimized image. Additionally, the resulting file size is displayed.

Features: - most popular file formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG (Indexed or RGB) - resizing and cropping
- zoom in/out in preview

Start: /Filters/Web/Save for Web...

Any comments are welcome.

Aurimas

Sven Neumann
2006-12-17 13:13:38 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Save for Web plug-in

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 11:15 +0200, Aurimas Juska wrote:

Wouldn't it be better placed into the File menu?

Sven

Aurimas Juska
2006-12-17 13:58:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Save for Web plug-in

Hi,

Of course, File menu would be better but I don't know how to make Save for Web... appear after Save as Copy...

Another possible problem is GimpImage conversion to GdkPixbuf. Is it alright to just copy pixel data (assuming GimpImage is RGB(A))? (Won't there be problems with color management?)

On 12/17/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 11:15 +0200, Aurimas Juska wrote:

Wouldn't it be better placed into the File menu?

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-12-18 08:35:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Save for Web plug-in

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 14:58 +0200, Aurimas Juska wrote:

Of course, File menu would be better but I don't know how to make Save for Web... appear after Save as Copy...

Register into /File/Save.

Sven

cedric GEMY
2006-12-18 22:51:19 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Save for Web plug-in

Really Cool,
i would be to add this in official version :-P

i just think it would be better to display optimized file infos (files size...) just below the optimized preview.

To improve compression evaluation, it could also be nice to display original file infos under the left preview.

What do you think of this ?

Aurimas Juska
2006-12-19 10:29:30 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Save for Web plug-in

Hi,

It's nice to hear from someone who has actually tried working with the Save for Web plug-in.

At some point of development info was displayed under each view, but I didn't find original info line useful. Why do you think it would be: just for esthetic reasons or does it have some useful functional meaning? I don't know whether it's worth comparing file size of multilayered GIMP image and compressed single-layered jpeg, gif or png.

However, I am sure original image dimensions should be displayed in resize panel, so that user could restore them.

Do you think any additional information about original or optimized image should be provided? Is the user interface intuitive enough or something should be changed?

BTW, I tried porting the plug-in on The GIMP 2.2 but without success. In order to try the plug-in one has to compile it for 2.3 or current CVS. If someone got it working on The GIMP 2.2, however, please send me so I could add it to the registry.

On 12/18/06, cedric GEMY wrote:

Really Cool,
i would be to add this in official version :-P

i just think it would be better to display optimized file infos (files size...) just below the optimized preview.

To improve compression evaluation, it could also be nice to display original file infos under the left preview.

What do you think of this ?

cedric GEMY
2006-12-19 22:03:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Save for Web plug-in

hi again

It's nice to hear from someone who has actually tried working with the Save for Web plug-in.

;)

At some point of development info was displayed under each view, but I didn't find original info line useful. Why do you think it would be: just for esthetic reasons or does it have some useful functional meaning? I don't know whether it's worth comparing file size of multilayered GIMP image and compressed single-layered jpeg, gif or png.

you are right if you compare an XCF and single-layered. But what about if you just have some Jpg files (grabed from a camera for ex.) and that you just want to optimize them to send them to some friends or eventually put on a gallery. In this case, you have bot single-layered (and more : same file format). And being able to see what space is eally won regarding the loss of qualty can be nice. THis is not a esthetic reason at all. But you are the master of it ;)

However, I am sure original image dimensions should be displayed in resize panel, so that user could restore them.

Do you think any additional information about original or optimized image should be provided? Is the user interface intuitive enough or something should be changed?

This is nice like this for me. I know some friend like to modify color table in gifs and png-8. May be having the list of colors (like palettes), and allowing the user to modify the colors would help them. But may be it is a long way for a little benefit. I'm not good enough in coding to ealuate that. Snif.

cedric