RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

My wishlist

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

My wishlist Kasper Hviid 31 Oct 19:48
  *** PROBABLY SPAM *** My wishlist gg@catking.net 31 Oct 21:54
   My wishlist Sven Neumann 01 Nov 00:10
  My wishlist Bart 01 Nov 11:32
My wishlist MM Benya 06 Nov 21:41
  My wishlist Sven Neumann 07 Nov 13:06
   My wishlist MM Benya 07 Nov 17:49
    My wishlist Sven Neumann 07 Nov 22:31
     My wishlist MM Benya 09 Nov 17:24
op.ticcguomtxpshh@linbox.lo... 07 Oct 20:24
  My wishlist Sven Neumann 03 Nov 18:59
op.tigqgiobtxpshh@linbox.lo... 07 Oct 20:24
  Fwd: Re: Re:My wishlist gg@catking.net 04 Nov 10:24
Kasper Hviid
2006-10-31 19:48:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Here is what I would like to see in Gimp. I hope that some of it can be of use. - Kasper

1) The ability to rotate the canvas freely is very important to graphic artists. I don't know how cucumbersome/impossible it would be, but if it's even close to possible, please look into it.

2) Some work on a big, nasty brush engine would be good. Or maybe just the ability to change the brush size?

3) An automatic color history, where all the colors which has been used in a document are stored. The list could be sorted by how often the color has been used, last time it was usedb (default), or by color values such as hue, saturation or brightness.

4) Smooth zooming, where you move the curser up to zoom in, and down to zoom out.

5) It would be handy if I could change the Gimp's language after the installation.

6) Let the user chose from a number of keyboard shortcut presets, Such as a Photoshop preset, a Gimp standard preset and others.

gg@catking.net
2006-10-31 21:54:09 UTC (over 17 years ago)

*** PROBABLY SPAM *** My wishlist

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:48:44 +0100, Kasper Hviid wrote:

Here is what I would like to see in Gimp. I hope that some of it can be of use.
- Kasper

1) The ability to rotate the canvas freely is very important to graphic artists. I don't know how cucumbersome/impossible it would be, but if it's even close to possible, please look into it.

Good to have some input from real graphics users. Thx.

2) Some work on a big, nasty brush engine would be good. Or maybe just the ability to change the brush size?

3) An automatic color history, where all the colors which has been used in a document are stored. The list could be sorted by how often the color has been used, last time it was usedb (default), or by color values such as hue, saturation or brightness.

4) Smooth zooming, where you move the curser up to zoom in, and down to zoom out.

This can be done crudely by placing the mouse over the drop-down list of zoom ratios and scrolling . It may be good to place a few more values in the list.

Also if you dabble around in the config options you can make gimp zoom off the mouse scroll à la GoogleEarth. This may be closer to what you want.

5) It would be handy if I could change the Gimp's language after the installation.

6) Let the user chose from a number of keyboard shortcut presets, Such as a Photoshop preset, a Gimp standard preset and others.

Good idea, could you provide a suitable list?

Thanks for you ideas.

Sven Neumann
2006-11-01 00:10:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 21:54 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

Also if you dabble around in the config options you can make gimp zoom off the mouse scroll à la GoogleEarth. This may be closer to what you want.

There's no need to configure anything for that. This is by default bound to Ctrl-Wheel.

Sven

Bart
2006-11-01 11:32:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Hi,

i tested 2.3.12 on windows and now the management of ontop windows works!

Gimp is getting better and better and with the python support i will now write a cool gallery module based n XHTML and JavaScript like PS Flash Gallery (like this:
http://www.webcuts.org/2006/sources/inhalt_bilder/berlin-bits/index.html)

I have just 4 wishes for GIMP 2.4:

- improved PSD support - Layer folders like PS has
- better text editing function
- on screen editing
- multiple colors and fonts
- styles
- smaller controlls, inputs, dropdowns

For compatibility issues a Gimp-file format plugin for PS would be great.

BTW: There are shortcuts problems in 2.3.12, some shortcuts work only at the image window, others work only at the toolbox :(.

Anyway thanks to the developers!

Kasper Hviid schrieb:

Here is what I would like to see in Gimp. I hope that some of it can be of use.
- Kasper

Sven Neumann
2006-11-03 18:59:22 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 15:13 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

I just did a fresh install off cvs and the scoll wheel is no longer configured to zoom. It does image scrolling as before.

I said Ctrl-Wheel, didn't I? And please, let's not start the discussion again whether Wheel should zoom or scroll. We have been through this more than once. The current behaviour confirms with what the HIG suggests.

I look into the input control config and there is nothing associated with scrollup and scrolldown so image scrolling would seem to be the default behaviour.

The code for this is in app/display/gimpdisplayshell-callbacks.c, there's no need to configure anything.

Sven

gg@catking.net
2006-11-04 10:24:05 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Fwd: Re: Re:My wishlist

------- Forwarded message ------- From: gg@catking.net
To: "Sven Neumann"
Cc:
Subject: Re: Re:[Gimp-developer] My wishlist Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 00:06:08 +0100

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:59:22 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

I said Ctrl-Wheel, didn't I?

You did. I thought you were refering to the mouse wheel by this name rather than meaning Ctrl + mouse wheel, hence the confusion.

And please, let's not start the discussion again whether Wheel should zoom or scroll.

Not at all, I said this seems a sensible default, I was concerned it had been changed because I misunderstood your comment.

Finally we're both agreed and Kasper gets his wish granted ;)

MM Benya
2006-11-06 21:41:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Greetings,

I strongly agree that the features that you have requested (i.e. better brush engine, rotatable canvas) would be extremely helpful in digital painting.

The only thing I would like to add is the possibility to pan the image freely within the image window, not only up to the image boundaries. That also makes painting a lot more comfortable.

Also a shortcut for changing the brush settings like opacity, size, alpha and other dynamics etc. might be useful. Something similiar to the tool options that you get when pressing SPACE in ZBrush (ZB GUI example: http://www.primatestudios.com/temp/zb.jpg)

I think those features combined with the coming GEGL integration would really make the GIMP stand out from its competitors.

Thanks a lot!

Matt

Here is what I would like to see in Gimp. I hope that some of it can be of use. - Kasper

___________________________________________________________ Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.de

Sven Neumann
2006-11-07 13:06:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 21:41 +0100, MM Benya wrote:

The only thing I would like to add is the possibility to pan the image freely within the image window, not only up to the image boundaries. That also makes painting a lot more comfortable.

I am currently working on this. There's a bug report about it if you want to provide feedback.

Also a shortcut for changing the brush settings like opacity, size, alpha and other dynamics etc. might be useful.

You can already do that.

Sven

MM Benya
2006-11-07 17:49:43 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Hi Sven,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 21:41 +0100, MM Benya wrote:

I am currently working on this. There's a bug report about it if you want to provide feedback.

Hey, that's great! I'll check it out.

Also a shortcut for changing the brush settings like opacity, size, alpha and other dynamics etc. might be useful.

You can already do that.

I didn't know that you could do that. I know that you can access the Brushes and Tool Options dialogs via shortcuts, but you still need to have 3 dialogs open if you want to change opacity, spacing and radius of a brush. I put all the brush related dialogs into one dock, so that you need to only need to use one shortcut to bring it all up. But what I like about the ZBrush method is that it is very quick, no browsing through menus, since all of the common options are combined into a single condensed menu. Is there a already a shortcut
like that? I looked through the documentation and the hotkey editor but I didn't see it.

Still, it isn't that important of a feature. It would just be nice when you are using the fullscreen mode to paint.

Thanks again!

Matt

___________________________________________________________ Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger.yahoo.de

Sven Neumann
2006-11-07 22:31:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 17:49 +0100, MM Benya wrote:

I didn't know that you could do that. I know that you can access the Brushes and Tool Options dialogs via shortcuts, but you still need to have 3 dialogs open if you want to change opacity, spacing and radius of a brush. I put all the brush related dialogs into one dock, so that you need to only need to use one shortcut to bring it all up. But what I like about the ZBrush method is that it is very quick, no browsing through menus, since all of the common options are combined into a single condensed menu. Is there a already a shortcut
like that? I looked through the documentation and the hotkey editor but I didn't see it.

There's a plethora of context related actions that you can assign keyboard shortcuts too. You can also bind those actions to other input devices. So in case you are running out of keys or would prefer a dial to control the brush size or opacity, consider to get a MIDI controller.

Note that I am talking about the development version here. Not all of what I mentioned above is possible in 2.2 already.

Sven

MM Benya
2006-11-09 17:24:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

My wishlist

Hey Sven,

Thanks a lot for getting back with me. Alright, I didn't know that you could assign hotkeys to a MIDI controller, that's cool. I'll look into setting up the shortcuts for my keyboard. :)

Thanks again,

Matt

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 17:49 +0100, MM Benya wrote:

There's a plethora of context related actions that you can assign keyboard shortcuts too. You can also bind those actions to other input devices. So in case you are running out of keys or would prefer a dial to control the brush size or opacity, consider to get a MIDI controller.

Note that I am talking about the development version here. Not all of what I mentioned above is possible in 2.2 already.

Sven

___________________________________________________________ Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger.yahoo.de