RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

plugin not installing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

plugin not installing gg@catking.net 25 Sep 21:19
  plugin not installing Sven Neumann 26 Sep 09:38
plugin not installing William Skaggs 25 Sep 23:25
plugin not installing gg@catking.net 26 Sep 21:12
  plugin not installing Carol Spears 26 Sep 21:25
  plugin not installing Sven Neumann 27 Sep 08:57
gg@catking.net
2006-09-25 21:19:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

plugin not installing

I am trying to add some features as a plug-in. As a starting point I simply cloned deinterlace.c renamed everything containing "deinterlace". So I have a compilable unit with MAIN() query et al.

I reran autgen.sh on gimp then make && make install

No errors , no plug-in. Neither on the enhance menu as intended nor in plug-in search.

I read Dave Neary's howto which convinced me it was easy but somehow left me short of what I need to know.

I'm not really interested in writing this in some external language and hooking it in by running a tool since I'm deep enough into the Gimp source to do it directly.

There is presumably some trivial step that I ignore.

Someone give me the nod?

thz

William Skaggs
2006-09-25 23:25:48 UTC (over 17 years ago)

plugin not installing

I am trying to add some features as a plug-in. As a starting point I simply cloned deinterlace.c renamed everything containing "deinterlace". So I have a compilable unit with MAIN() query et al.

The Makefile.am in plug-ins/common is actually autogenerated, so if you add a plug-in there, you have to do something a bit special -- you have to edit the file

plug-ins/common/plugin-defs.pl

It is slightly cryptic but you will probably be able to figure out how to do it.

Note that it's generally easier to build a personal plug-in by putting the code outside the gimp source, and using the command "gimptool-2.0 --install foo.c". In many cases the only thing you need to change in the source is the line that initializes internationalization, which you can just remove.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2006-09-26 09:38:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

plugin not installing

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 21:19 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

Huh? Why don't you use gimptool to build and install the plug-in?

Sven

gg@catking.net
2006-09-26 21:12:58 UTC (over 17 years ago)

plugin not installing

Huh? Why don't you use gimptool to build and install the plug-in?

Sven

1/ because Dave's article pointed me to gimptool (as you do) when I tried to run it , it does not exist:

bash-3.1#gimptool --help bash: gimptool: command not found
bash-3.1#man gimptool
No manual entry for gimptool

2/ because Bill indicated modifying another file should work. It did to the point where I could make && make install but I still do not see the plugin registered.

Somewhere I came across a reference to gimptool-2.0 and it fails even to --build the std issue plug-ins that are already installed.

Seems to be a lack of info holding me back.

Are there any up-to date instructions on this?

Thx.

Carol Spears
2006-09-26 21:25:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

plugin not installing

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 09:12:58PM +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

bash-3.1#gimptool --help
bash: gimptool: command not found
bash-3.1#man gimptool
No manual entry for gimptool

if you are using linux, it is obvious that you have not installed libgimp-dev from your distribution. well, i abuse the word 'obvious' here.

if you are using another operating system, probably it is best to get bill to explain his idea better.

if you built your own gimp from the source, something is broken there.

carol

Sven Neumann
2006-09-27 08:57:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

plugin not installing

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 21:12 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

Somewhere I came across a reference to gimptool-2.0 and it fails even to --build the std issue plug-ins that are already installed.

The tool is called gimptool-2.0. And no, it can't build the plug-ins from the source tree because these can only be built within the source tree. The tool is explicitely written for builing third-party plug-ins. And yes, there's a man-page for it.

Sven