RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color management -- softproof comments

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color management -- softproof comments Peter Karp 18 Sep 21:40
  Color management -- softproof comments Sven Neumann 20 Sep 08:39
Peter Karp
2006-09-18 21:40:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

I'm new to this list and just wanted to share some ideas and findings I have.

I tried Gimp 2.3.11 for Windows. I don't have the option to compile gimp myself. This was the latest win binary I found. I hope the descritpions from me make sense, because I used the german version and I'm not sure which phrases are used for the english developer version.

Not in the order of importance...

1) A tiny, but welcome improvement of the color settings could be to change the order from

------------- Working Mode
Rendering Intent Monitor
Renderinig Intent Printer simulation RGB space
CMYK space
monitor profile
printer simulation profile
-----------

to group the items which belong together:

------------------- Working Mode

RGB space
CMYK space

monitor profile
Rendering Intent Monitor

printer simulation profile Renderinig Intent Printer simulation --------------------

I assume that RGB and CMYK space are the default spaces for new pictures and that it can be assigend to untagged pictures? For what is CMYK space used when Gimp does not support CMYK editing of files or have I overseen that this will be possible with Gimp 2.3/2.4?

I also assume that the printer simulation profile can be either an RGB or CMYK printer profile. A short tooltip which explains the basics could help there.

2) I loaded a picture which has an embedded profile, but I found that the embedded profile is not honored (of course the mode "colormanaged monitor" was active).

That's a 'must have' for a colormanaged image editor.

When a picture has an embedded profile and working mode "printer simulation" or "colormanaged monitor" is choosen the profile must be honored.

3) In addition to 2) I could not find an option to assign or in the other case convert a file from one color space to the other. That's also a very important function which is possible with lcms and which must be present.

4) From 2) and 3) will follow that one has to make a decision what to do when a picture profile does not match the default RGB working space (as long as Gimp does not support CMYK editing). Photoshop allows to choose
a) "no colormanagement"
b) assign profile (Combo box with installed profiles) c) convert to profile (Combo box with installed profiles)

This would also be very useful to have :-)

I like that in Gimp one can choose the rendering intent for the monitor profile.

I hope my comments are helpful in improving the colormanaged part of the upcoming Gimp. Still very few applications offer full colormanagement support and I look forward to see Gimp enter this league :-)

Best regards
Peter

Sven Neumann
2006-09-20 08:39:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 21:40 +0200, Peter Karp wrote:

I assume that RGB and CMYK space are the default spaces for new pictures and that it can be assigend to untagged pictures? For what is CMYK space used when Gimp does not support CMYK editing of files or have I overseen that this will be possible with Gimp 2.3/2.4?

The CMYK default colorspace is supposed to be used by the CMYK color selector as well as by plug-ins that want to offer export to CMYK.

2) I loaded a picture which has an embedded profile, but I found that the embedded profile is not honored (of course the mode "colormanaged monitor" was active).

That's a 'must have' for a colormanaged image editor.

We know that. Colormanagement is still unfinished and it's not considered to do anything useful yet. You are loooking at a rough prototype. I hope that I can get back to hacking on color management soon.

3) In addition to 2) I could not find an option to assign or in the other case convert a file from one color space to the other. That's also a very important function which is possible with lcms and which must be present.

4) From 2) and 3) will follow that one has to make a decision what to do when a picture profile does not match the default RGB working space (as long as Gimp does not support CMYK editing). Photoshop allows to choose
a) "no colormanagement"
b) assign profile (Combo box with installed profiles) c) convert to profile (Combo box with installed profiles)

This is all planned.

Your comments are however quite useful and I would very much appreciate if you could have a look at color management again as soon as the implementation has come forward a little.

Sven