RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Paul L Daniels 18 Sep 01:18
  Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Sven Neumann 18 Sep 09:32
   Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Paul L Daniels 18 Sep 13:05
    Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Sven Neumann 20 Sep 08:33
     Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Paul L Daniels 20 Sep 08:44
      Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Sven Neumann 20 Sep 09:19
       Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Paul L Daniels 20 Sep 09:30
        Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Sven Neumann 20 Sep 09:37
Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter William Skaggs 19 Sep 18:18
  Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Paul L Daniels 20 Sep 02:31
   Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Sven Neumann 20 Sep 08:40
    Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Michael Natterer 20 Sep 12:11
     Adobe Illustrator to GIMP palette converter Sven Neumann 20 Sep 20:45
Paul L Daniels
2006-09-18 01:18:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hello everyone,

This is my first ever "GIMP" related programming project.

I've written a stand-alone converter for Adobe Illustrator palette files (.ai) to GIMP palette files.

This was written because I do vinyl cutting/signs and the various makers of the vinyl (Avery etc) produce palette files based on their available colours. Clearly it's advantageous/simpler to use their palettes rather than trying to go through the whole spot matching process.

Anyhow, the program is about 5K in size and available in C source code format at;

http://pldaniels.com/gimp

It's Revised-BSD licenced so you can fairly much do anything you like with it and it is GPL compatible.

Regards.

Sven Neumann
2006-09-18 09:32:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 09:18 +1000, Paul L Daniels wrote:

I've written a stand-alone converter for Adobe Illustrator palette files (.ai) to GIMP palette files.

This was written because I do vinyl cutting/signs and the various makers of the vinyl (Avery etc) produce palette files based on their available colours. Clearly it's advantageous/simpler to use their palettes rather than trying to go through the whole spot matching process.

GIMP already supports import of a variety of palette formats. The code for this is in app/core/gimppalette-import.c. Perhaps you or someone else would want to try to include your code here?

Sven

Paul L Daniels
2006-09-18 13:05:57 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven,

GIMP already supports import of a variety of palette formats. The code for this is in app/core/gimppalette-import.c. Perhaps you or someone else would want to try to include your code here?

Okay, I'll take a look at it. Does this code convert existing palettes into /gimp/ palettes or does it persistently decode them each time?

Paul.

William Skaggs
2006-09-19 18:18:53 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hello everyone,

This is my first ever "GIMP" related programming project.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the contribution. Probably the best way to keep this from getting lost would be to file an enhancement request in Bugzilla and attach your code to it.

The ideal thing would be to incorporate the code into GIMP itself by working it into app/core/gimppalette-import.c, which is the code that detects and loads palette files in several formats. If you don't feel like doing this, somebody else might be able to, so long as your license is compatible with code being extracted and inserted into a GPL-licensed program -- it does not look to me like that's the case right now, but I may be wrong.

Best wishes,

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Paul L Daniels
2006-09-20 02:31:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

William,

The ideal thing would be to incorporate the code into GIMP itself by working it into app/core/gimppalette-import.c, which is the code that detects and loads palette files in several formats. If you

I'll give it a shot (already have the file open and have started to edit it). Although I should probably ask elsewhere, would I be better to create an external module (.[cho]) with the AI palette import code, or put the code within the actual gimppalette-import.c code ? ie, I could create a module/object gimppalette-import-ai.[cho] .

Incidently, the revised BSD licence is GPL compatible, so no problems there.

Paul.

Sven Neumann
2006-09-20 08:33:44 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 21:05 +1000, Paul L Daniels wrote:

Okay, I'll take a look at it. Does this code convert existing palettes into /gimp/ palettes or does it persistently decode them each time?

The code imports the palette. This means it's loaded in GIMP then and can be saved as a GIMP palette.

I am not sure why we are doing it this way at all. Gradients are transparently loaded from two different formats (GIMP's native one and SVG). We could do this for palettes as well and just load all supported palette formats on startup. But this is not really relevant now. You can add the code to load Illustrator palettes to the current framework now and we can consider to change it later.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-09-20 08:40:53 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:31 +1000, Paul L Daniels wrote:

I'll give it a shot (already have the file open and have started to edit it). Although I should probably ask elsewhere, would I be better to create an external module (.[cho]) with the AI palette import code, or put the code within the actual gimppalette-import.c code ? ie, I could create a module/object gimppalette-import-ai.[cho] .

It would probably not hurt to split all the different palette loaders into separate files.

Sven

Paul L Daniels
2006-09-20 08:44:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hello Sven,

relevant now. You can add the code to load Illustrator palettes to the current framework now and we can consider to change it later.

I'll be working on the AI palette importer tonight a bit more, I'll put the code into a separate object file for now. While I'm at it I'll also do the importer for CADLink palette files.

One question I did have is that the AI Palette entries are defined with floating point values for RGB, I presume that currently GIMP supports only the usual 24 bit RGB triples (ie, 0-255 per channel)?

Paul.

Sven Neumann
2006-09-20 09:19:33 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 16:44 +1000, Paul L Daniels wrote:

One question I did have is that the AI Palette entries are defined with floating point values for RGB, I presume that currently GIMP supports only the usual 24 bit RGB triples (ie, 0-255 per channel)?

GIMP uses a structure called GimpRGB that stores RGB and alpha as doubles ranging from 0 to 1. See
http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpcolor/libgimpcolor-GimpRGB.html

By the way, are you working with CVS or a recent development release?

Sven

Paul L Daniels
2006-09-20 09:30:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven,

GIMP uses a structure called GimpRGB that stores RGB and alpha as doubles ranging from 0 to 1. See
http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpcolor/libgimpcolor-GimpRGB.html

Thanks for that, using that information I may be able to do a better translation.

By the way, are you working with CVS or a recent development release?

Using the latest "stable" (2.2.13) release - is there a release that would be preferential in this situation?

Paul.

Sven Neumann
2006-09-20 09:37:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 17:30 +1000, Paul L Daniels wrote:

Using the latest "stable" (2.2.13) release - is there a release that would be preferential in this situation?

In this particular case, it probably doesn't make much of a difference. But it will be easier to incorporate your code if you base it on the CVS HEAD branch or GIMP 2.3.11.

Sven

Michael Natterer
2006-09-20 12:11:23 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 08:40 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:31 +1000, Paul L Daniels wrote:

I'll give it a shot (already have the file open and have

started to edit it). Although I should probably ask elsewhere, would I be better to create an external module (.[cho]) with the AI palette import code, or put the code within the actual gimppalette-import.c code ? ie, I could create a module/object gimppalette-import-ai.[cho] .

It would probably not hurt to split all the different palette loaders into separate files.

It should go to gimppalette-load.[ch], together with the standard palette loader function. Look at how the gradient loading/saving files are organized, and how gimp_real_initialize() in app/core/gimp.c maps file extensions to data load handlers.

ciao, --mitch

Sven Neumann
2006-09-20 20:45:41 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 12:11 +0200, Michael Natterer wrote:

It should go to gimppalette-load.[ch], together with the standard palette loader function. Look at how the gradient loading/saving files are organized, and how gimp_real_initialize() in app/core/gimp.c maps file extensions to data load handlers.

Please don't confuse Paul. This is something that we can do at a later point. Currently we only load the GIMP palette format and other formats are handled by the import function. If we want to change that, fine. But the new format should first be added where the other palette formats are handled.

Sven