RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Customizing GIMP windows and behavior

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Customizing GIMP windows and behavior Des 13 Sep 07:45
  Customizing GIMP windows and behavior Sven Neumann 13 Sep 08:09
Customizing GIMP windows and behavior William Skaggs 13 Sep 18:20
  Customizing GIMP windows and behavior Sven Neumann 13 Sep 20:01
Customizing GIMP windows and behavior Des 13 Sep 19:58
  Customizing GIMP windows and behavior Toby Speight 13 Sep 21:02
Customizing GIMP windows and behavior Juhana Sadeharju 18 Sep 12:30
  Customizing GIMP windows and behavior David Gowers 18 Sep 14:04
200609131354.AA76218804@pri... 07 Oct 20:24
  Customizing GIMP windows and behavior Sven Neumann 14 Sep 08:01
Des
2006-09-13 07:45:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

I am new GIMP. We are looking to extend GIMP to fulfill some functionality required by our users, and one of the them is to be able to open an image in three windows, where one window will be the active image which allows the users to add additional paths, and other objects. Adding anything to this image will also add the paths and objects to the second window. On the second window, if the user add any paths or other objects, it just remains in this window.

Regards,

Desmond

___

Sven Neumann
2006-09-13 08:09:07 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 22:45 -0700, Des wrote:

I am new GIMP. We are looking to extend GIMP to fulfill some functionality required by our users, and one of the them is to be able to open an image in three windows, where one window will be the active image which allows the users to add additional paths, and other objects. Adding anything to this image will also add the paths and objects to the second window. On the second window, if the user add any paths or other objects, it just remains in this window.

I don't think such a thing can be implemented without massive changes to the internals. But why would your users want such a behaviour? And what are your users?

Sven

William Skaggs
2006-09-13 18:20:42 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hmm. It probably wouldn't be incredibly difficult to modify gimp to allow opening an image with multiple views -- but it would be *very* difficult to make those views share some objects but not others.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Des
2006-09-13 19:58:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

The users are mark inclusions that they analyze on a stone. The three views are used as follows:

1 view serves as a working view or scratch pad 1 view serves as a view that will be printed on a report 1 view serves as internal view, i.e. includes additional markups that is not in the report view.

Desmond

----- Original Message ---- From: "gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU" To: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:20:56 AM Subject: Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 48, Issue 16

Send Gimp-developer mailing list submissions to gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-developer-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Gimp-developer digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Customizing GIMP windows and behavior (Des) 2. Re: GIMP plug-in disabled. (Sven Neumann) 3. Re: Customizing GIMP windows and behavior (Sven Neumann) 4. make healing brush and clone tool use one source and possibly involve shift modifier (Alexander Rabtchevich) 5. Re: make healing brush and clone tool use one source and possibly involve shift modifier (Sven Neumann) 6. Re: make healing brush and clone tool use one source and possibly involve shift modifier (Alexander Rabtchevich) 7. Re: make healing brush and clone tool use one source and possibly involve shift modifier (Sven Neumann) 8. Re: soc-2006-healing-brush branch merged and closed (Sven Neumann) 9. Re: healing brush hanging X11 (Sven Neumann)

Hi,

Regards,

Desmond

Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 00:13 +0930, David Gowers wrote:

> Your plugin needs to take an image as its first input in order to be
> repeatable.

What do you mean when you say "repeatable"? What you are
saying here doesn't make any sense to me.

Sven

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 22:45 -0700, Des wrote:

> I am new GIMP.  We are looking to extend GIMP to
> fulfill some functionality required by our users, and
> one of the them is to be able to open an image in
> three windows, where one window will be the active
> image which allows the users to add additional paths,
> and other objects.  Adding anything to this image will
> also add the paths and objects to the second window. 
> On the second window, if the user add any paths or
> other objects, it just remains in this window. 

I don't think such a thing can be implemented without massive changes to
the internals. But why would your users want such a behaviour? And what
are your users?

Sven

Working with healing brush in 2.3.11 I've found it very useful. But 
sometimes it is required not only to change the texture, but also to 
change color of the image part while retouching with clone tool. So I 
switch between tools with C and H hotkeys. It could be even smoother if 
these tools use the same source: if a source for healing brush is 
selected, and user switches to clone tool, the clone tool should already 
have the same source and be ready to work. And vice versa.
Furthermore, as shift modifier is not used (as I can see), it can be 
used for switching between these tools if one of them is used.
Sven Neumann
2006-09-13 20:01:45 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:20 -0700, William Skaggs wrote:

Hmm. It probably wouldn't be incredibly difficult to modify gimp to allow opening an image with multiple views

Huh? You can have multiple views on an image since forever. There's nothing you would have to modify for this.

Sven

Toby Speight
2006-09-13 21:02:17 UTC (over 17 years ago)

0> In article ,
0> Des ("Des") wrote:

Des> The users are mark inclusions that they analyze on a stone. The Des> three views are used as follows: Des>
Des> 1 view serves as a working view or scratch pad Des> 1 view serves as a view that will be printed on a report Des> 1 view serves as internal view, i.e. includes additional markups Des> that is not in the report view.

What is lacking if you use layers to contain this additional markup that is not to be in the report, and adjusting the visibility appropriately? I can see that it would be nice to have layer groups and read-only layers available, but I don't think that they would be essential.

P.S. please trim your quotes appropriately!

Sven Neumann
2006-09-14 08:01:30 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 13:54 -0700, William Skaggs wrote:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. You can of course have multiple views already, but as far as I know there is no way to make gimp automatically create multiple views when opening an image, that is, using a script or plugin. I think there is no way except to open the image and then create the new views by hand.

There is gimp-display-new(). One could easily write a little plug-in that installs itself as the load handler for a particular file extension, loads the image and creates multiple views for them. GIMP creates the first display automatically when an image is opened, but I can't think of anything that would prevent a plug-in to create more. Whether that will result in a reasonable working environment or not, I don't know. The PDB doesn't give you much control over the displays.

Sven

Juhana Sadeharju
2006-09-18 12:30:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I don't think such a thing can be implemented without massive changes to the internals. But why would your users want such a behaviour? And what are your users?

As I seem to have requested similar functionality, I would like to know what are these internals. Could you point me to the files which has the mentioned internals.

For example, I open an image and create a new view (View/New View menu). Then when I use the rectangle selection tool, the solid line is visible only in one view. The selection's non-solid line becomes visible in both views.

Why the tool's solid line is not visible in both views? What code file controls it?
Why the selection's non-solid line is visible in both views? What code file controls it?
Why the path or other objects would not be visible in both views?

I had one solution to the problem earlier: I suggested the tool plugins and a vector/geometry layer (perhaps different consept than what got implemented this summer). The example tool was the rectangle tool, where the tool's solid line was added to a temporary vector layer. The solid line would have been visible in both views trivially because the vector layer would had been part of the image itself.

I have a perfect solution ;-) too but I would like to check the internals first.

Juhana

David Gowers
2006-09-18 14:04:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 9/18/06, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

For example, I open an image and create a new view (View/New View menu). Then when I use the rectangle selection tool, the solid line is visible only in one view. The selection's non-solid line becomes visible in both views.

Why the tool's solid line is not visible in both views?

Because tool displays are drawn onto the view, not the image.

Why the selection's non-solid line is visible in both views?

This is not necessarily true. The marching ants ('non-solid line') are only visible in views that have the 'Show selection' option enabled. The selection outline shows in all views of an image which are set to show it, because it is part of the image rather than the view.

Whether new views have 'show selection' enabled by default is controlled by an option in preferences. (Image windows->Appearance subsection)

Why the path or other objects would not be visible in both views?

? They are. Maybe you mean 'why should the path or other objects not be visible in both views' -- which is a question that someone else needs to answer.

I cannot answer your other questions.

What is your perfect solution?