RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

fact roundup

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

22 of 22 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

fact roundup Carol Spears 18 Jul 20:31
  fact roundup Michael Schumacher 18 Jul 21:25
   fact roundup Carol Spears 18 Jul 21:34
   fact roundup Carol Spears 18 Jul 22:10
    fact roundup Michael Schumacher 18 Jul 22:44
     fact roundup Carol Spears 18 Jul 23:12
    fact roundup Sven Neumann 19 Jul 08:35
     fact roundup Carol Spears 19 Jul 19:48
      fact roundup Neil Thompson 19 Jul 21:59
       fact roundup Carol Spears 19 Jul 22:41
     fact roundup Brendan 19 Jul 21:57
      fact roundup Simon Budig 20 Jul 03:02
       fact roundup jernej@ena.si 20 Jul 12:43
        fact roundup Cody Russell 20 Jul 18:57
         fact roundup Carol Spears 20 Jul 19:17
          fact roundup Alex Fernandez 21 Jul 00:21
           fact roundup David Gómez 21 Jul 00:30
           fact roundup Carol Spears 21 Jul 00:53
          fact roundup Cody Russell 21 Jul 01:20
       fact roundup Scott 20 Jul 19:35
  fact roundup Alan Horkan 18 Jul 21:37
fact roundup Dave Neary 24 Jul 15:37
Carol Spears
2006-07-18 20:31:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

GNOME has been very generous with its cvs (now svn i hear) server and bugzilla for GIMP.

GNOME has also been very generous in its willingness to handle GIMP money.

i need a little help remembering what else GNOME has been helpful to GIMP with.

my backstory that leads me to asking this question is that i was told a few times that i am responsible for the demise of the gimp lists. i cannot argue with this nor will it help to repair things.

one old woman could not possibly have hurt this project in a way that such a self-reported solid community as GNOME could not fix it?

can you change my picture of the situation? i am certain it is not the right picture or an accurate picture.

i willingly conceed that nothing since 2003 is the way i wanted or expected and probably i did all the wrong things and was rude to everyone who matters blah blah blah.

it will be far more productive to concentrate on what GNOME does for GIMP beyond those two things i mentioned than all the things i have done wrong. i mean three things. cvs/svn, bugzilla and holding the money. in my life, everything has been mostly wrong for too long now. what about GNOME is so right?

thanks,

carol

Michael Schumacher
2006-07-18 21:25:21 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

Carol Spears wrote:

Shared booths at various trade fairs, AFAIK. For example at Linuxtag in Germany, and the upcoming SIGGRAPH. Maybe others know more examples, and also other benefits.

IMO we should have some hints about the relationship of GIMP, GTK+ and GNOME on www.gimp.org (or are there? I couldn't find anything).

HTH, Michael

Carol Spears
2006-07-18 21:34:56 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:25:21PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

Shared booths at various trade fairs, AFAIK. For example at Linuxtag in Germany, and the upcoming SIGGRAPH. Maybe others know more examples, and also other benefits.

IMO we should have some hints about the relationship of GIMP, GTK+ and GNOME on www.gimp.org (or are there? I couldn't find anything).

GTK+ sure. but there are other gtk+ using desktop applications around.

maybe jimmac should put the xfce4 logo on the poster for this event. it too is a desktop environment which uses gtk+. and we should look to see if there are others.

carol

Alan Horkan
2006-07-18 21:37:25 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Carol Spears wrote:

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:31:10 -0700 From: Carol Spears
To: David Neary ,
GIMPDev
Subject: [Gimp-developer] fact roundup

GNOME has been very generous with its cvs (now svn i hear) server and bugzilla for GIMP.

GNOME has also been very generous in its willingness to handle GIMP money.

Translations?

(There are probably other things like librsvg which indirectly help but they are less clear cut examples.)

Carol Spears
2006-07-18 22:10:29 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

Carol Spears wrote:

this is what i learned about how these booths are handled here in the San Francisco area. to be mailed about their existence and to know about where to get the literature and such, you must have been owen taylors girlfriend.

i actually don't think that GIMP should work this way, if we still have a choice in the matter.

how does one hear about shared booth space in other areas?

carol

Michael Schumacher
2006-07-18 22:44:38 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

Carol Spears wrote:

this is what i learned about how these booths are handled here in the San Francisco area. to be mailed about their existence and to know about where to get the literature and such, you must have been owen taylors girlfriend.

Hm... so if you want to be mailed about fairs, then I think you're on a mission.

i actually don't think that GIMP should work this way, if we still have a choice in the matter.

Well, it would get the community together - much closer than it is right now... But we'll need our own social networking site first, won't we? ;) (and this one could finally be mauve!)

how does one hear about shared booth space in other areas?

Seriously, I think this list would be the right place to coordinate the visits, especially the more pricy ones.

For starters, maybe someone wants to write a short summary about the fairs he or she did attend so far in order to represent GIMP or to do other gimpy stuff?

Michael

Carol Spears
2006-07-18 23:12:37 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 10:44:38PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

For starters, maybe someone wants to write a short summary about the fairs he or she did attend so far in order to represent GIMP or to do other gimpy stuff?

i have only had enough access to the resources to allow me to conduct some research about how to get access.

i discovered that the only way to get access to gnome information and booth stuff here is to have been owen taylors girlfriend at one time. i was never this and have not been able to get too much more information beyond this.

i have, in fact spent so much time trying to find access to any real information that i am -- in that long while -- becoming more and more not the kind of person i ever wanted to be and definately not the kind of person who should go places for cool software like GIMP.

i suggest that the GNOME people who are handling the money explain how they work instead? with an emphasis on the "working" part. it seems to work like this. they get the money, then they put their logo on the poster and tell owen taylors ex-girlfriends about it. what points in the process am i missing?

carol

Sven Neumann
2006-07-19 08:35:40 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

Carol,

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 13:10 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

Stop this now. We don't want this mailing-list to be a place where people can spread such filthy and completely unfounded rumours. And don't start to discuss this with me or even try to provide evidence. Even if it was a fact, it's offtopic and simply doesn't belong here.

Please unsubscribe yourself from all GIMP mailing-lists and leave us alone.

Sven

Carol Spears
2006-07-19 19:48:27 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:35:40AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol,

Stop this now. We don't want this mailing-list to be a place where people can spread such filthy and completely unfounded rumours. And don't start to discuss this with me or even try to provide evidence. Even if it was a fact, it's offtopic and simply doesn't belong here.

let me get the information i asked for.

others have mentioned that this list is a good way to talk to the people who might be able to and interested in sharing a booth with gnome.

the process that one must go through to "qualify" is somewhat important, even if i or anyone else doesn't like those answers.

i also did not mention any filthy rumors. i was talking about what a friend told me about when she managed the GNOME booth here. what possibly could be filthy about that?

sincerely,

carol

Brendan
2006-07-19 21:57:11 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 02:35, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol,

I guess I'm confused. Does Carol represent some threat that I haven't noticed in the year or so I have been watching this list? Does she have laser beams coming out of her frickin' eyes or something?

Isn't the old adage something akin to: "If you don't like it, don't look"? If you don't like her, hit delete. I just don't get the point otherwise. She may be a twit, I don't know. She seems nice enough to me.

Neil Thompson
2006-07-19 21:59:38 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 10:48:27AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:35:40AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol,

let me get the information i asked for.

others have mentioned that this list is a good way to talk to the people who might be able to and interested in sharing a booth with gnome.

the process that one must go through to "qualify" is somewhat important, even if i or anyone else doesn't like those answers.

i also did not mention any filthy rumors. i was talking about what a friend told me about when she managed the GNOME booth here. what possibly could be filthy about that?

Carol,

As a gimp user of many years who has watched (put up with and hated) your periodic immature bursts of vitriol, I have come up with a few alternative explanations for your behavior (and possible work-arounds) -

1 - you're a paranoid schizoprenic (work-around - please make sure you've been taking your medicine for at least 10 days before you post to the list, or, better, take Sven's advice and "Please unsubscribe yourself from all GIMP mailing-lists and leave us alone.") 2 - you're a lush (work around - please make sure you've been sober for at least 10 days before you post to the list, or, better, take Sven's advice and "Please unsubscribe yourself from all GIMP mailing-lists and leave us alone.")
3 - You're an unpleasant person with no life who gets pleasure from insulting and demeaning people who (unlike you) are trying to get things done (work-around - get a life and take Sven's advice and "Please unsubscribe yourself from all GIMP mailing-lists and leave us alone.")

Personally, I think it's (3) and I have no idea why you're still permitted to post with a "gimp.org" address and to have the "carol.gimp.org" DNS entry.

Just go away.

Carol Spears
2006-07-19 22:41:36 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:59:38PM +0200, Neil Thompson wrote:

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 10:48:27AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

As a gimp user of many years who has watched (put up with and hated) your periodic immature bursts of vitriol, I have come up with a few alternative explanations for your behavior (and possible work-arounds) -

1 - you're a paranoid schizoprenic (work-around - please make sure you've been taking your medicine for at least 10 days before you post to the list, or, better, take Sven's advice and "Please unsubscribe yourself from all GIMP mailing-lists and leave us alone.") 2 - you're a lush (work around - please make sure you've been sober for at least 10 days before you post to the list, or, better, take Sven's advice and "Please unsubscribe yourself from all GIMP mailing-lists and leave us alone.")
3 - You're an unpleasant person with no life who gets pleasure from insulting and demeaning people who (unlike you) are trying to get things done (work-around - get a life and take Sven's advice and "Please unsubscribe yourself from all GIMP mailing-lists and leave us alone.")

Personally, I think it's (3) and I have no idea why you're still permitted to post with a "gimp.org" address and to have the "carol.gimp.org" DNS entry.

it is this:

4 - Not about any person, not personal.

these questions i ask have nothing to do with me personally.

i actually agree with some or all of the three things you did list, but none of them have anything to do with the questions i am asking.

also, i was asking a question about the one person i know who was asked to be in attendence at one of these boothe events. i was asking about a nice volunteer. should i read between the lines that the volunteer process is actually filthy and disgusting or can i get an honest answer?

i am sorry that i don't know or care about you enough to have one of the three opinions you took the time to make of me.

carol

Just go away.

Simon Budig
2006-07-20 03:02:52 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

Brendan (mailinglist@endosquid.com) wrote:

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 02:35, Sven Neumann wrote:

I guess I'm confused. Does Carol represent some threat that I haven't noticed in the year or so I have been watching this list? Does she have laser beams coming out of her frickin' eyes or something?

Well, we (as in "old gimp farts") are dealing with this kind of shit for at least four years now. If anybody of us would be able to understand what Carol is asking for then there would be no issue - we would answer her question and the issue would be no more.

Carol was basically a source of incomprehensible messages for four years now. It is getting on at least my nerves. Other people told me that they have left GIMP/Gimp-Web development because of her. That hurts, especially for a project with that few active developers as GIMP.

In the last few mails carol is indirectly suggesting that the organisation of the Siggraph stuff is somehow shady. We all want to "kill Wilber" - whatever that means and Gnome is evil anyway. She coerces Dave to respond to vague allegations about the GIMP-Gnome relationship, financing, how-to-become-a-volunteer-for-siggraph and whatever

I am sick of that kind of stuff. I am about to unsubscribe from gimp-developer because of that kind of stuff - reading gimp-developer is no fun anymore, because at any time you can hit a message that has a very confusing and frustrating content.

So yeah, Carol does represent some threat: Driving people away. This is a very real problem for the GIMP.

Bye, Simon

jernej@ena.si
2006-07-20 12:43:10 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Thursday, July 20, 2006, 3:02:52, Simon Budig wrote:

I am sick of that kind of stuff. I am about to unsubscribe from gimp-developer because of that kind of stuff - reading gimp-developer is no fun anymore, because at any time you can hit a message that has a very confusing and frustrating content.

You can always create a rule to delete her messages on server, before they even have the chance to reach your mailbox.

Cody Russell
2006-07-20 18:57:46 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 12:43 +0200, jernej@ena.si wrote:

You can always create a rule to delete her messages on server, before they even have the chance to reach your mailbox.

Except that this solution doesn't really fix the problem, which is that she's scaring people away from GIMP. The real solution is for her to follow Sven's suggestions and remove herself from the GIMP mailing lists, stop using her gimp.org email alias, and stop using GIMP's irc.

/ bratsche

Carol Spears
2006-07-20 19:17:20 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 11:57:46AM -0500, Cody Russell wrote:

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 12:43 +0200, jernej@ena.si wrote:

Except that this solution doesn't really fix the problem, which is that she's scaring people away from GIMP. The real solution is for her to follow Sven's suggestions and remove herself from the GIMP mailing lists, stop using her gimp.org email alias, and stop using GIMP's irc.

just tell the list (and me) how one gets on the GNOME contact list for these booth things and all of the things that have been suggested will at least seem like they have been accomplished.

personally, i don't like that Sven Neumann suggests that anything that Tim Ney did could be possibly interpreted as "filthy". it should not have gotten personal like that.

i saw a bunch of photographs on planet gnome from guadec. they have since disappeared. it was what looked like some nice young men and the collection kindof looked like that old PROFIT collection of images i saw from miguel and nat from years ago. i am going to humbly suggest that these young men were pointing at the wrong place on their bodies, if this version of gimp/gnome/gtk+ developement and how it works is going to stay this way.

thanks everyone for your time and opinions

carol

Scott
2006-07-20 19:35:16 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 03:02:52AM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:

Well, we (as in "old gimp farts") are dealing with this kind of shit for at least four years now. If anybody of us would be able to understand what Carol is asking for then there would be no issue - we would answer her question and the issue would be no more.

Hey, I am a "new gimp fart" - just a user, and don't know why I am even subscribed to this devel list - but have seen the cryptic messages from Carol and found them somewhat entertaining, though.... cryptic. As a newcomer to a list, not knowing the history, one wonders at the obscure references to 'someone's girlfriend', etc. My suggestion would be that Carol either lay the cards on the table, giving a logical point-by-point list of her complaints, stated in language that even a newcomer like me could understand, or cease and desist.

Just 2 cents from a one-horse town.

Scott Swanson Pendroy, Montana

Alex Fernandez
2006-07-21 00:21:17 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

just tell the list (and me) how one gets on the GNOME contact list for these booth things and all of the things that have been suggested will at least seem like they have been accomplished.

The list doesn't care about those issues. Or rather, nobody seems to care but you.

personally, i don't like that Sven Neumann suggests that anything that Tim Ney did could be possibly interpreted as "filthy". it should not have gotten personal like that.

If one does not want a discussion to get personal, one does not mention somebody else's girlfriends.

i saw a bunch of photographs on planet gnome from guadec. they have since disappeared. it was what looked like some nice young men and the collection kindof looked like that old PROFIT collection of images i saw from miguel and nat from years ago. i am going to humbly suggest that these young men were pointing at the wrong place on their bodies, if this version of gimp/gnome/gtk+ developement and how it works is going to stay this way.

Not interesting, except in the "somewhat entertaining" sense exposed above by Scott Swanson. Otherwise, it seems a pointless rambling.

Speaking as a lurker, I think Sven Neumann's suggestion (to unsubscribe from the list) is on the right track.

Alex.

David Gómez
2006-07-21 00:30:33 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

Hi,

Speaking as a lurker, I think Sven Neumann's suggestion (to unsubscribe from the list) is on the right track.

Yep, count me as another lurker who is interested in gimp development and not in pointless ramblings.

cheers,

Carol Spears
2006-07-21 00:53:32 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 12:21:17AM +0200, Alex Fernandez wrote:

If one does not want a discussion to get personal, one does not mention somebody else's girlfriends.

this started as an attempt being made by me to find a better answer than this actual answer that i received. i was unhappy with this method to get on this contact list.

thank you for helping me to clear that up.

carol

Cody Russell
2006-07-21 01:20:00 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 10:17 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

Since nobody has provided that information yet, consider these two possibilities:
1) Nobody here has that information and is either not concerned enough about it to get it or assumes that you're just as capable of getting it as anyone else is. I mean, this is the GIMP mailing list you're asking on, not a GNOME mailing list. Why do you expect everyone here to know more than you about contacting GNOME people regarding booths? 2) People have the information you desire, but don't want to give it to -you- in particular because having you call or email anyone on behalf of the GIMP community would be undesirable and might give the booth contact people a bad impression of the community and jeopardize the possibilities of getting booths in the future. Your past record of human relations makes this a very real possibility because you have horrible communication skills. Maybe you mean well, but you have to understand that it doesn't come across that way to the rest of us; this is not the first time people have pointed this out either, and you obviously have made no efforts to act more civil to people.

You'll probably respond to this email and give a 3) with some sort of stupid conspiracy theories in it, because you won't really consider those two possibilities. But once again, if you really are meaning well to GIMP then I would like to urge you to disassociate yourself from GIMP and its community. When you see everyone asking you to unsubscribe from the lists, that's not an invitation to keep pressing the same issue.. that really is an invitation to leave the community, because many people believe that you're doing it more harm than good.

thanks everyone for your time and opinions

Sadly, this appears to be your way of saying "fuck all of you, I'll stay here and ruin the GIMP community all I want".

/ bratsche

Dave Neary
2006-07-24 15:37:44 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

fact roundup

Bratsche said:

Since nobody has provided that information yet, consider these two possibilities:

Correction, I gave that information.

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg11430.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg11432.html

Cheers, Dave.