RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

next stage for SoC

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

next stage for SoC William Skaggs 09 May 18:36
William Skaggs
2006-05-09 18:36:45 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

next stage for SoC

Regarding SoC, the deadline for applications comes in a few hours, and then we have to get down to the business of figuring out which ones we want to support. Theoretically we have until May 22, but we should try to do it quickly, for several reasons: first, you may need some discussion to decide whether you want to mentor a given project; second, because students can apply for multiple projects, the student who is your first choice might not actually be available; third, students who have also applied to other projects and been accepted might be waiting to hear from us before making decisions.

Basically, people who have signed up as mentors should look over the applications and decide which ones they would like to mentor.

A few things seem clear:

1) Schumaml is going to ask to mentor Lafriks for the GIMP resources repository.

2) Nomis is going to pick one of the Vector Layers projects.

3) I am going to ask to mentor Kevin Sookocheff for the Healing Brush project.

4) We want to support Philip Lafleur, who could be mentored either by Neo or me, because mentoring him basically means taking care of the paperwork and making sure that the SoC guidelines are being followed. (If I did it, I would donate the $500 to GIMP.)

Everything else is open at this point. I have opinions, but I won't express them here. One suggestion I have is that in deciding what you would like to mentor, the project plan is important, but the person is even more important. Having a good plan is a relatively weak predictor of success. The best predictor is past success -- people who have made important contributions to open source in the past are likely to do so again. Other important factors are the amount of experience the person has had, whether the person works quickly or slowly, how much care has gone into putting together the application, and whether the person has tried to get input from us directly.

Please bear in mind, in your interactions with applicants, that we will only be able to support a small fraction of them, and some very good ones are going to be left on the table -- so try to give people encouragement but not false expectations.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu