RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with GIMP 2.2.8 despeckle plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with GIMP 2.2.8 despeckle plugin Pasi Savolainen 28 Aug 03:18
  Problem with GIMP 2.2.8 despeckle plugin Alex Fernandez 28 Aug 14:11
  Problem with GIMP 2.2.8 despeckle plugin geert jordaens 02 Sep 18:59
Pasi Savolainen
2005-08-28 03:18:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,
I'm trying to find a median filter for GIMP and have been having some difficulties. From what I've gathered with google, despeckle plugin is the one that I should look at.
I think that it should be ran in non-adaptive and non-recursive mode with white/black points se to maximum. But when it's ran with those settings it doesn't produce what I expect. Here's an image:

I can't tell if it's a bug or not as I don't know exactly what despeckle should produce.

Produced result is also different depending on whether the layer is bottom-most or not.

Thanks,

Alex Fernandez
2005-08-28 14:11:19 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi Pasi,

I think that it should be ran in non-adaptive and non-recursive mode with white/black points se to maximum. But when it's ran with those settings it doesn't produce what I expect. Here's an image:

I can't tell if it's a bug or not as I don't know exactly what despeckle should produce.

I don't know either, but it does not look right to me. From the web page http://www.easysw.com/~mike/gimp/despeckle.html and documentation it should perform a plain median.

I have tried with another (home-grown) median filter and it gave similar results to your "mogrify -5". Maybe operation of despeckle is more complex than a plain median.

Alex.

geert jordaens
2005-09-02 18:59:08 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pasi Savolainen wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to find a median filter for GIMP and have been having some difficulties. From what I've gathered with google, despeckle plugin is the one that I should look at.

Produced result is also different depending on whether the layer is bottom-most or not.

Thanks,

check-out bug report
*Bug 72862:* Incorrect RGBA resampling in Despeckle plug-in this describes the last functional changes and some reflections on the white and black levels. If you give a radius of 5 the filter will workon 121 pixels and select the pixel with the
median pixel intensity (RGB).

Geert