RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

16 bit Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

16 bit Gimp? Joseph Heled 23 Jul 07:36
  16 bit Gimp? Dave Neary 23 Jul 11:41
  16 bit Gimp? Sven Neumann 26 Jul 10:52
   16 bit Gimp? David Neary 26 Jul 15:46
    16 bit Gimp? Joseph Heled 26 Jul 20:15
Joseph Heled
2004-07-23 07:36:47 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

16 bit Gimp?

(repeat) I am developing a plugin which loads raw images from digital cameras (CRW,NEF etc).

There is actually lots of the functionality I need support (and some I need to do) in the gimp already, if only the gimp was 16 bits ready.

So, I wonder, any estimate how far in the future it is?

-Joseph

Dave Neary
2004-07-23 11:41:43 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

16 bit Gimp?

Hi,

Quoting Joseph Heled :

There is actually lots of the functionality I need support (and some I need to
do) in the gimp already, if only the gimp was 16 bits ready.

Any estimate that you get will be unreliable, most likely, given the track record of the project. That said, I'll give you one.

End of 2005. That is, 2.2.0 in September 2004, GEGL 1.0 (the minimum of functionality the GIMP core needs to use it) sometime around February 2005 (pure guess), and then 6 months to actually use it, followed by a 3 month pre-release cycle. That gives a release around Christmas 2005. Of wourse, this might well be complete fiction.

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Sven Neumann
2004-07-26 10:52:03 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

16 bit Gimp?

Hi,

Joseph Heled writes:

(repeat) I am developing a plugin which loads raw images from digital cameras (CRW,NEF etc).

I might be wrong, but doesn't such a plug-in exist already?

There is actually lots of the functionality I need support (and some I need to do) in the gimp already, if only the gimp was 16 bits ready.

We will start working on it as soon as 2.2 has been released. So that should be far enough away in the future for you not to wait on it.

Sven

David Neary
2004-07-26 15:46:21 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

16 bit Gimp?

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Joseph Heled writes:

One exists for dcraw (Canon's raw format). Don't know if that would work on the other formats.

Shouldn't we consider including that in the main distribution for 2.2, since that type of format is now more & more widespread? Who's the author?

Cheers,
Dave.

Joseph Heled
2004-07-26 20:15:55 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

16 bit Gimp?

It would be nice to be prove wrong, but I am not aware of such a plugin.

Dave's (dcraw author) own "plugin" is just a simple "text like" interface o dcraw. My work is based on PTJ rawphoto, but it is already much better, I believe. Have a look at http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe/d70/Nikon_D70_on_Linux.html if you like.

-Joseph

David Neary wrote:

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Joseph Heled writes:

One exists for dcraw (Canon's raw format). Don't know if that would work on the other formats.

Shouldn't we consider including that in the main distribution for 2.2, since that type of format is now more & more widespread? Who's the author?

Cheers,
Dave.