RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Just managed to build HEAD GIMP with autotools on Win32...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Just managed to build HEAD GIMP with autotools on Win32... Tor Lillqvist 26 Dec 03:45
  Just managed to build HEAD GIMP with autotools on Win32... Patrick McFarland 26 Dec 12:56
  Just managed to build HEAD GIMP with autotools on Win32... Sven Neumann 27 Dec 12:21
   Just managed to build HEAD GIMP with autotools on Win32... Tor Lillqvist 31 Dec 09:18
    Just managed to build HEAD GIMP with autotools on Win32... Sven Neumann 31 Dec 14:30
     Just managed to build HEAD GIMP with autotools on Win32... Nathan Carl Summers 02 Jan 23:12
Tor Lillqvist
2002-12-26 03:45:02 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I finally had time to try again, and after some head scratching and Makefile.am munging, succeeded. I built all the libraries that get built as shared libraries on Unix as DLLs, while Hans's MSVC Makefiles build many (most?) as static libraries.

Any accidental breakage of Unix builds should be relatively easy to fix.

The gimp.sym file seemed to have obsolete contents. I replaced it with the functions used by libgimptool and libgimpwidgets. I had to add a "glue" file for libgimptool, to enable the dynamic linking to the main executable, either gimp.exe or tool-safe-mode.exe (?).

Building the plug-ins, and a closer inspection of what works and what is broken will have to wait until next week. I'm leaving for a short vacation tomorrow.

--tml

Patrick McFarland
2002-12-26 12:56:13 UTC (over 21 years ago)

So this means that, when gimp stable uses gtk2, no more win32 "port" of Gimp? (In this context, if an app compiles cleanly on an os with no code modification, then it isnt a port)

On 26-Dec-2002, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

I finally had time to try again, and after some head scratching and Makefile.am munging, succeeded. I built all the libraries that get built as shared libraries on Unix as DLLs, while Hans's MSVC Makefiles build many (most?) as static libraries.

The gimp.sym file seemed to have obsolete contents. I replaced it with the functions used by libgimptool and libgimpwidgets. I had to add a "glue" file for libgimptool, to enable the dynamic linking to the main executable, either gimp.exe or tool-safe-mode.exe (?).

Building the plug-ins, and a closer inspection of what works and what is broken will have to wait until next week. I'm leaving for a short vacation tomorrow.

--tml

_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Sven Neumann
2002-12-27 12:21:20 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Him

Tor Lillqvist writes:

great.

seems to compile just fine on Linux.

please note that we don't build any tool plug-ins on UNIX since it's horribly broken and might even be removed before 1.4 gets out. You should consider to do the same for the Win32 build. You don't need to build tool-safe-mode.exe then.

Salut, Sven

Tor Lillqvist
2002-12-31 09:18:45 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I wrote:
> > I had to add a "glue" file for libgimptool, to enable the dynamic > > linking to the main executable, either gimp.exe or > > tool-safe-mode.exe (?).

Sven Neumann writes: > please note that we don't build any tool plug-ins on UNIX since it's > horribly broken and might even be removed before 1.4 gets out.

Hmm. You mean libgimptool isn't really used at all currently? It would be helpful to have some short READMEs in the libgimp* directories (especially libgimpwidgets, libgimpproxy and libgimptool) telling what the purpose of the libraries are, and what executables link to them.

--tml

Sven Neumann
2002-12-31 14:30:12 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Tor Lillqvist writes:

Hmm. You mean libgimptool isn't really used at all currently? It would be helpful to have some short READMEs in the libgimp* directories (especially libgimpwidgets, libgimpproxy and libgimptool) telling what the purpose of the libraries are, and what executables link to them.

as the name suggests, libgimpwidgets is a set of GIMP-specific GTK+ widgets that are used from the core as well as from plug-ins. I think that Nathan should explain the purpose as well as the current state of libgimpproxy and libgimptool.

Salut, Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2003-01-02 23:12:01 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 31 Dec 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Tor Lillqvist writes:

[snip]
I think that Nathan should explain the purpose as well as the current state of libgimpproxy and libgimptool.

To explain the purpose of those libraries, here is a diagram:

------------------- -------------- | gimp protocol | | tool-safe-mode || gimp |
| | | ------------------- -------------- plug-in process core process

libgimptool is used by both gimp and tool-safe-mode. It contains the code that is used by both processes, and includes classes like GimpToolControl. All code in libgimptool is tool-related.

GimpTools in the core use objects like GimpDrawable and GimpDisplay that are accessable by plug-ins through the plug-in api, but with a very different interface. libgimpproxy is autogenerated from parts of the definitions of the objects in the core (to maintain binary compatiblity), and will contain the code necessary to proxy the objects by making appropriate calls over the pdb.

Libgimpproxy is only used by tool-safe-mode. (FWIW, tool-safe-mode is called that because a tool plug-in can't crash the core process.)

I put tool plug-in work on the back burner when I graduated, moved, and got a job. Right now I am on vacaion in another state, but when I get back I should have some time to work on it again. I have given up on making UML diagrams of my plans because of the lack of any decent free UML program.

Basically, I would create a GimpToolGUI class based loosely on GimpDrawTool. GimpToolCore would contain the essential stuff from GimpTool, leaving the core-specific stuff in the GimpTool class. Everything would be modeled on the system that Mitch designed for the paint tools.

Rockwalrus