RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Alpha channels

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Alpha channels Robert L Krawitz 24 Dec 04:02
  Alpha channels Patrick McFarland 24 Dec 06:53
  Alpha channels Sven Neumann 27 Dec 12:32
Robert L Krawitz
2002-12-24 04:02:02 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Alpha channels

1) How do I create an image with an alpha channel (and set the value of the alpha channel)? This is specifically so I can test alpha channel handling in Gimp-print. Specifically, I want to move the alpha channel handling (and the color map handling, but that's a lot easier) out of libgimpprint and into the plugin.

2) It appears that thumbnail images (via gimp_image_get_thumbnail_data) always contain an alpha channel (unfortunately, this isn't really what I want for (1)). Is there a reason this is the case, or am I missing something?

Patrick McFarland
2002-12-24 06:53:05 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Alpha channels

On 23-Dec-2002, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

1) How do I create an image with an alpha channel (and set the value of the alpha channel)? This is specifically so I can test alpha channel handling in Gimp-print. Specifically, I want to move the alpha channel handling (and the color map handling, but that's a lot easier) out of libgimpprint and into the plugin.

file -> new -> fill type = transparent.

2) It appears that thumbnail images (via gimp_image_get_thumbnail_data) always contain an alpha channel (unfortunately, this isn't really what I want for (1)). Is there a reason this is the case, or am I missing something?

Ever convert an rgb image to rgba? All the alpha for every pixel = 1.0. Its probably the same thing here.

Sven Neumann
2002-12-27 12:32:22 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Alpha channels

Hi,

Robert L Krawitz writes:

the alpha channel isn't associated with the image. It's part of the layer so you basically create a new image, then create a layer with type=RGBA_IMAGE and add it to the image.

the reason is that the composite buffer in the core always has an alpha channel. The preview is created from this buffer and thus also carries the alpha channel. Actually it should make your life easier since you don't have to write code for the non-alpha case.

Salut, Sven