RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

I completed code which runs gimp-print-gui without gimp. How do I submit?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

3DFC9CF9.C3174F49@echo-on.net 07 Oct 20:21
  I completed code which runs gimp-print-gui without gimp. How do I submit? Robert L Krawitz 15 Dec 19:55
Robert L Krawitz
2002-12-15 19:55:13 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I completed code which runs gimp-print-gui without gimp. How do I submit?

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:17:13 -0500

I competed the first draft of my C code for compiling and running the gimp-print-gui without gimp. It compiles gimp-print without libgimp and without libgimpui. Someone needs to modify the Makefile and offer a new compilation option in the Makefile. My code is a single .c file. It contains some code grabbed from gimp because many of the gimp-print Gtk calls where enclosed in Gimp functions. In the future, it would be nice if the gtk calls didn't do this.

Did you use the 4.2 code base, or the current 4.3 CVS? The latter is somewhat cleaner.

Perhaps we should create a libgimpprintui that encapsulates the user interface code. Some of the code in print.c (which is the Gimp-specific code) should probably move there, such as the printrc (which perhaps should now move to $HOME/.gimpprintrc).

My program only prints one simple image format. This could be expanded. The current format is a file with RGBRGBRGB chars and it requires the image dimensions to be passed. The arguments to my executable are for example: gimp-print-gui rgb_image 559 800 where 559 is the height and 800 is the width and gimp-print-gui is my name for the executable (not just a plug-in for gimp!).

This is certainly something we can work on later. Ideally it should understand all common formats (TIFF, GIF, PNG, JPEG, and EPS are likely the most important; XCF may also be important; there are no doubt others). I'd also really like to make this understand CMYK images of certain kinds, and in particular 16-bit CMYK and raw images. However, we don't need to handle all of these initially; having a simple format for starters is a good idea. Perhaps the right thing to do is to have these other formats be plug-ins at the stp_image_t layer.

This program opens up gimp-print to be used as a component for other software rather than just as a plug-in for gimp.

Yes, it does. This is a step in the direction of a true printing UI.

If you want to add it to your project, then send me the CVS instructions for submitting it.

Can you get an account on Sourceforge, so I can add you as a developer to the project? That will give you read/write CVS access. I'd like Roger, Till, and Mike, at the very least, to take a look at this to figure out how to fit it in. I'd also like to do it on the 4.3 mainline rather than the 4.2 stable branch.