RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Film gimp Vs Gimp....

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

23 of 25 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Which Gimp Robin Rowe 11 Dec 18:06
  Which Gimp Rapha 11 Dec 22:37
Which Gimp Robin Rowe 12 Dec 18:22
  Which Gimp Carol Spears 12 Dec 18:53
   Photoshop Plugin Support Patrick McFarland 12 Dec 21:50
    Photoshop Plugin Support Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 13 Dec 01:45
    Photoshop Plugin Support Sven Neumann 13 Dec 13:25
     Photoshop Plugin Support Patrick McFarland 13 Dec 22:04
  Which Gimp Sven Neumann 13 Dec 13:42
  Which Gimp Tor Lillqvist 14 Dec 09:31
   Which Gimp Patrick McFarland 14 Dec 09:38
Which Gimp Robin Rowe 13 Dec 20:53
Which Gimp Robin Rowe 14 Dec 10:08
Which Gimp Garry R. Osgood 17 Dec 04:26
  Which Gimp David Neary 17 Dec 10:00
031d01c2a0f9$497aa330$0901a... 07 Oct 20:21
  [FilmGimp] Which Gimp Rapha 11 Dec 13:58
   [FilmGimp] Which Gimp Branko Collin 11 Dec 22:50
    [FilmGimp] Which Gimp Patrick McFarland 12 Dec 08:08
     [FilmGimp] Which Gimp Sven Neumann 16 Dec 12:13
   [FilmGimp] Which Gimp Sven Neumann 12 Dec 14:09
   [FilmGimp] Which Gimp Sven Neumann 16 Dec 12:33
    [FilmGimp] Which Gimp Raphaël Quinet 16 Dec 14:35
20021130200005.A08EFFFF4@li... 07 Oct 20:21
  Film gimp Vs Gimp.... Danni Coy 23 Dec 23:57
Rapha
2002-12-11 13:58:51 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[FilmGimp] Which Gimp

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:40:05 -0800, "Robin Rowe" wrote:

More docs.

http://filmgimp.sourceforge.net/docs/which.gimp.html

I think that some parts of this article are really inaccurate and are likely to cause some unnecessary damage to the reputation of both projects (GIMP and Film Gimp). It looks like you have a bad opinion of the GIMP developers, but I hope that you will change your mind (and the page). Here are some parts of your page that are incorrect (IMHO):

"Many GIMP people have expressed the opinion that Film Gimp should cease to exist, that Film Gimp developers should instead all work on GEGL or GIMP."

This is wrong. The plan was that Film Gimp and GIMP would merge around version 2.0 (you can check the gimp-dev mailing list archives from 2000 for some statements about that). This did not mean that any project would cease to exist, but rather that one tool (or at least a common codebase) would support the features that are necessary for both projects.

Recently, I have asked for more cooperation between the two teams so that the projects do not diverge too much. I don't think that anybody has said that Film Gimp should cease to exist. I wrote that it would be nice if Film Gimp would try to converge rather than diverge so that both projects could benefit from the same features, but this is very different from what you wrote above.

"The GIMP group has a reputation for being unfriendly to operating systems other than Linux."

This is also wrong. Recently, a single user who had never made any significant contribution to the GIMP has been posting some flames to the gimp-developer mailing list and claiming that the GIMP should be a Linux thing only. Many developers have quickly replied to him, saying that he was wrong. So the developers are really open to all operating systems (otherwise, there would be no version for Windows, MacOS, FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX and even the venerable OS/2). For example, I currently do most of my GIMP testing and development on Solaris and I try to support Windows users whenever I can (e.g., through Bugzilla).

"For some time the GIMP site didn't mention the GimpWin project, but they reached an accommodation where GimpWin is mentioned in the GIMP downloads section and its files are hosted in a separate area of the GIMP site."

The GIMP for Windows page from Tor Lillqvist has been mirrored on www.gimp.org since February 1999 (or maybe a bit earlier, but that's the earliest reliable timestamp that I found). At that time, the Windows version was still very unstable. Also at that time, the maintainers of the GIMP web site had stepped down, so the updates were very slow except for the news items taken from Xach's site. Despite the fact that www.gimp.org was almost unmaintained, a direct link to the GIMP for Windows page (http://www.gimp.org/win32/) has been featured on the front page of www.gimp.org since November 2000, according to the WayBack Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20001109165800/http://gimp.org/ In September 2001, I volunteered for maintaining the old web site while a new design was being worked on. At that time, I added an additional link to the Windows version on the download page, but it had always been mentioned on the front page.

"GimpWin changes are incorporated into GIMP, but GIMP and GimpWin maintain totally separate mailing lists."

There is no GimpWin (WinGimp is probably OK, though). GIMP for Windows and GIMP are the same program, using the same CVS repository for development and also using the same Bugzilla for bug tracking. Tor and other developers of the Windows version participate in the development of the GIMP in the same way as other GIMP developers. There are of course some issues that are specific to Windows (installer, different OS, etc.) so it is normal to discuss these on a separate mailing list. There were also some differences that were due to the fact that the Windows version had to use a hacked version of GTK+-1.3 instead of 1.2 (used by the other OS's), but most of these differences have been resolved with the move to GTK+-2.0. Anyway, the discussion about new features or major code changes that are not OS-specific are usually shared among all developers. So it is incorrect to present the Windows version as being totally separate from the other supported platforms.

"Not much is known about the MacGimp group. They don't seem to have a public mailing list."

It is true that the Mac version is not advertised as much as the other versions (although it is linked from the GUG page), but you can find a lot of information about it on http://www.macgimp.org/.

"The GEGL project is working toward a future version of GIMP, that is, GIMP 2. Some GIMP developers also work on GEGL. GEGL is viewed as part of the GIMP project, even though the code is different."

Yes, the code is different, but this is the goal of GEGL and GIMP 2. The goal is to re-write the low-level pixel operations because the current GIMP code supports only three types of drawables: grayscale, indexed (8 bits only) and RGB with 8 bits per channel. So Calvin Williamson and Caroline Dahllof started to work on GEGL in order to support 16 bits per channel and floating-point channels. This will be used as the core code for pixel operations in GIMP 2.0. That has been planned since the beginning, and it was summarized in December 2000 when Sven and Mitch posted their "future plans" to the gimp-developer mailing list. A copy of that message can be found here: http://developer.gimp.org/gimp-future

Robin, I hope that you can correct the inaccuracies in the current page. This would be in the best interest of both projects.

-Raphaël

Robin Rowe
2002-12-11 18:06:29 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Raphaël,

It looks like you have a bad opinion of the GIMP developers, but I hope that you will change your mind....

Although it doesn't improve my opinion that you lead with a personal attack misrepresenting my throughts, I do not in general have a "bad opinion" of GIMP developers. I do find some highhanded in seeking to direct me, who am not a GIMP developer, in how I spend my time.

This is wrong. The plan was that Film Gimp and GIMP would merge around version 2.0 (you can check the gimp-dev mailing list archives from 2000 for some statements about that).

I wasn't there, and only have the word of the original Film Gimp developers to go by. I have searched the archives and, except for complaints about it being difficult to locate or build, have found nothing about the HOLLYWOOD branch or Film Gimp.

If you can produce any message from the archives to support your contention I would be interested to see it.

Recently, I have asked for more cooperation between the two teams so that the projects do not diverge too much.

Film Gimp forked at GIMP 1.0.4. When you say "not diverge too much" do you mean to suggest that GIMP has changed little since 1.0.4?

I don't think that anybody
has said that Film Gimp should cease to exist.

Not in those exact words, rather that we should stop wasting our time on it and get behind GIMP instead.

"The GIMP group has a reputation for being unfriendly to operating systems other than Linux."

This is also wrong.

GIMP has documented no official position on what operating systems it supports.

I don't want to misrepresent individuals by reporting a subjective impression of a group, and have rectified that. Regarding your comments about the Windows version of GIMP in the same paragraph, I am checking further.

So the developers are really open to all operating systems (otherwise, there would be no version for Windows, MacOS, FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX and even the venerable OS/2).

Are the FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX and OS/2 efforts truly internal to GIMP, treated more like a cousin as with GimpWin, or totally independent efforts like MacGimp and Film Gimp?

I only find Linux, Solaris, and Windows binaries on ftp.gimp.org. Where on the GIMP Web site is the documenation for Solaris, FreeBSD, Mac, IRIX, and OS/2?

"Not much is known about the MacGimp group. They don't seem to have a public mailing list."

It is true that the Mac version is not advertised as much as the other versions (although it is linked from the GUG page), but you can find a lot of information about it on http://www.macgimp.org/.

No, I couldn't find any. The "about" link was broken when I checked, and is now gone entirely. In looking again I did find the mailing list for them though.

Please tell me what information I could find about macgimp.org if I knew where to look.

So Calvin
Williamson and Caroline Dahllof started to work on GEGL in order to support 16 bits per channel and floating-point channels. This will be used as the core code for pixel operations in GIMP 2.0. That has been planned since the beginning, and it was summarized in December 2000 when Sven and Mitch posted their "future plans" to the gimp-developer mailing list. A copy of that message can be found here: http://developer.gimp.org/gimp-future

There is no mention of the HOLLYWOOD branch or Film Gimp in that document. GEGL is not Film Gimp.

Robin, I hope that you can correct the inaccuracies in the current page.

I always do. Thanks for your clarifications.

Cheers,

Robin --------------------------------------------------------------------------- www.FilmGimp.org
www.LinuxMovies.org
www.OpenSourceProgrammers.org

Rapha
2002-12-11 22:37:44 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:06:29 -0800, "Robin Rowe" wrote:

Raphaël,

It looks like you have a bad opinion of the GIMP developers, but I hope that you will change your mind....

Although it doesn't improve my opinion that you lead with a personal attack misrepresenting my throughts, I do not in general have a "bad opinion" of GIMP developers. I do find some highhanded in seeking to direct me, who am not a GIMP developer, in how I spend my time.

I am sorry that you took this as a personal attack, because this was definitely not my intention. I am usually more careful when I post something, but I was probably a bit too fast when I wrote my last message. But I hope that you can understand my reaction, since the original version of your page gave a rather negative image of the GIMP developers (this may not have been intentional, but that is the feeling that I had after reading the page). Thanks for updating the page. Actually, I should also thank you for creating that page in the first place (I should have thanked you in my previous message already) because it contains some useful information for those who are not aware of the existence of the various versions (GIMP, Film Gimp and GIMP+GEGL) or ports (Windows and MacOS).

This is wrong. The plan was that Film Gimp and GIMP would merge around version 2.0 (you can check the gimp-dev mailing list archives from 2000 for some statements about that).

I wasn't there, and only have the word of the original Film Gimp developers to go by. I have searched the archives and, except for complaints about it being difficult to locate or build, have found nothing about the HOLLYWOOD branch or Film Gimp.

If you can produce any message from the archives to support your contention I would be interested to see it.

Hmmm... It looks like I was wrong. The message that I had read before writing that paragraph was from Adam, but he did not mention anything about merging the projects; he just said that GIMP 2.0 would have 16-bit support (and made a fun comment about the release date):

: Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:55:42 +0100 : From: "Adam D. Moss"
: Subject: Re: 16 bit Gimp and 1.2 codebase [...]
: Since no-one else has replied I think I'd just have to say : "ain't gonna happen". The 1.1.x codebase has drifted from the : HOLLYWOOD GIMP to an unreconcilable degree -- 16-bit support : will be part of GIMP 2.0 (ETA summer 2009) or would have to be : reimplimented from scratch or otherwise hacked up for 1.3 (unlikely).

So I was wrong on that part. I thought that I had also seen something about this in the reports from GimpCon2000, but this is not the case either. My last chance to keep a straight face would be some discussions on IRC or some medium that is not archived. ;-) But maybe not... I still have a chance! :-) I found several messages posted in 2000 and 2001 claiming that Film Gimp (which was also called Gimp16 until June 2000) was already based on GEGL. Although this is not correct, this was repeated a few times. For example, in a message by Jon Winters on the gimp-dev list in June 2000 or in a message posted in comp.graphics.apps.gimp last year. Also, the film.gimp.org page has mentioned GEGL since June 2000, saying that it was the future of the GIMP, but without saying that it was not used yet by Film Gimp. This is probably what caused the incorrect interpretation of the following messages regarding GEGL, GIMP and Film Gimp.

Recently, I have asked for more cooperation between the two teams so that the projects do not diverge too much.

Film Gimp forked at GIMP 1.0.4. When you say "not diverge too much" do you mean to suggest that GIMP has changed little since 1.0.4?

No, but on the previous version of your Film Gimp home page, one of the top goals was to bring Film Gimp in sync with GIMP-1.2.3 (this has been removed now). Since some GIMP contributors (including myself) suggested that you aim for 1.3.x instead of 1.2.x, I was hoping that the two projects would be closer to each other in the not-too-distant future.

Actually, it is that goal on the Film Gimp home page (getting closer to 1.2.3) that prompted me to start this thread for encouraging exchanges between the two projects. When I saw 1.2.3 as your target and I saw that your list of goals contained some features (Windows port, macro recorder, GUI redesign) that were also planned or already done for GIMP 1.3.x or 1.9.x, I thought that it would be better to suggest that you try to move closer to 1.3.x so that the work on the development of these new features could be shared by both teams instead of being implemented differently in each project.

But now I regret this, because I see that the only result of my suggestion is that the goal of being closer to GIMP-1.2.3 has been removed from the Film Gimp page, and there were some explicit statements on the Film Gimp mailing list saying that a merge between both projects will never happen. This is probably due to some misunderstandings on each side and some discussions that were not diplomatic enough, but the result is unfortunately exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for.

I don't think that anybody
has said that Film Gimp should cease to exist.

Not in those exact words, rather that we should stop wasting our time on it and get behind GIMP instead.

Maybe you understood it in that way, and maybe this is the feedback that you got from some people. But my suggestion was to move Film Gimp closer to the GIMP (since you already had a similar goal on your page) and try to share a common codebase in the future, even if the user interface could be different. On the other hand, I also wrote that moving towards GIMP-1.3.x would give you the Windows port for free and that re-doing the port from the older codebase was a duplication of effort, but this still does not mean or imply that I would like Film Gimp to cease to exist.

There was unfortunately some misunderstanding and over-reaction on both sides. :-(

This is also wrong.

GIMP has documented no official position on what operating systems it supports.

That's right. The official position is probably along the lines of: "we should try to support any OS that is supported by GTK+". This has been mentioned several times, for instance in a message posted by Mitch in July 2000 about the MacOS X version.

I don't want to misrepresent individuals by reporting a subjective impression of a group, and have rectified that. Regarding your comments about the Windows version of GIMP in the same paragraph, I am checking further.

Thanks! I think that the sentence describing some GIMP developers as being "very hostile to Microsoft users" is inaccurate because I did not see any hostility from any actual developer (only from some users), but this is better than the previous version.

So the developers are really open to all operating systems (otherwise, there would be no version for Windows, MacOS, FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX and even the venerable OS/2).

Are the FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX and OS/2 efforts truly internal to GIMP, treated more like a cousin as with GimpWin, or totally independent efforts like MacGimp and Film Gimp?

The OS/2 version has not given any sign of life recently (since 1.1.25). But the other operating systems such as *BSD, Solaris, IRIX and others have always been supported as well as Linux (well, at least I can speak for the Solaris version because I have been using all GIMP versions since 0.54 on Solaris). They are built from the same source code, using the same build system.

The Windows port is also built from the same source code, but it has some specific parts. One of the advantages of moving to GTK+ 2.0 is that some OS-specific parts are now handled by GTK+ and do not have to be implemented differently in the GIMP.

I only find Linux, Solaris, and Windows binaries on ftp.gimp.org. Where on the GIMP Web site is the documenation for Solaris, FreeBSD, Mac, IRIX, and OS/2?

Well, there is no documentation for Linux either. ;-) The pages "About The Gimp" and "System Requirements" only mention the need for a Unix-like operating system, so this includes several of the systems mentioned above. The ports to OS/2 and MacOS X are also mentioned on these pages (with some links).

No, I couldn't find any. The "about" link was broken when I checked, and is now gone entirely. In looking again I did find the mailing list for them though.

You are probably refering to the "about" link on macgimp.com, not macgimp.org? In any case, it is true that several of their links are broken (on both sites) and it is not easy to find a good summary of the information about the MacOS port. When I mentioned that you can "find a lot of information about it", I was refering to the news articles on macgimp.org and the XDarwin forum that is linked from that page.

So Calvin
Williamson and Caroline Dahllof started to work on GEGL in order to support 16 bits per channel and floating-point channels. This will be used as the core code for pixel operations in GIMP 2.0. That has been planned since the beginning, and it was summarized in December 2000 when Sven and Mitch posted their "future plans" to the gimp-developer mailing list. A copy of that message can be found here: http://developer.gimp.org/gimp-future

There is no mention of the HOLLYWOOD branch or Film Gimp in that document. GEGL is not Film Gimp.

Correct. That part of my reply was related specifically to your description of the relation between the GIMP and GEGL, so I mentioned GEGL only, not Film Gimp. However, you should also keep in mind that GEGL was developed by some of the same people who worked on the HOLLYWOOD branch and that before GimpCon2000 (during which Caroline Dahllof gave more information about both projects), several people were confusing the two projects.

Thanks for updating the page and for discussing these issues. And again, please accept my apologies for my previous message, which was probably sent too quickly.

-Raphaël

P.S.: The last 3 messages that I sent to the filmgimp-developer list have not appeared on that list, although I get the other messages. Do you know what could be causing that and how I could fix it? I would have prefered to send my reply to you on the filmgimp list only, but once again it looks like only the copy that I CC'ed to the gimp-dev list was delivered.

Branko Collin
2002-12-11 22:50:30 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[FilmGimp] Which Gimp

On 11 Dec 2002, at 13:58, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

[trying to refute ... what?]

As to the distributions thing: www.gimp.org is the place where you get the source. Binaries distributed from that site are just a matter of courtesy. This is not favouring or hating Windows. If anything, www.gimp.org favours Tor's Windows build, as it is available from the site. That is much more than can be said for many Unix flavours.

I am a Windows user, but I can understand the developer's decision to make the site a distribution point for the source, not for binaries. Distributing builds means commiting to these builds, supporting them, and as most developers are Linux users, that just is not feasible.

As to the names WinGIMP and MacGIMP: these are the names of commercial products, both sold by Mat Caughron. His websites manage to totally confuse the issue, as he is suggesting somehow that his are the 'official' GIMPs--which in a sense is true, as he is repackaging and distributing the most popular Mac and Windows builds of the official source. However, he is not the source of the official GIMP.

I think there are more than Tor's builds of the GIMP for Windows, though as far as I can tell, these are mostly for private use by the builder. A non-programming end-user who uses Windows will probable end up with Tor's builds, and a non-programming Mac user with the Fink build.

Patrick McFarland
2002-12-12 08:08:14 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[FilmGimp] Which Gimp

First, I would like to apologize to everyone on the list. It seems my poking and proding around for 16-bit per channel rendering (which later changed into 32-bit float (spfp) per channel rendering) started a flamewar between gimp and film gimp developers.

Second, I would like to ask when a either a GEGL enabled Gimp will be released, or a version of either Gimp with spfp/channel support _or_ Film Gimp with a working xcf plugin will be avalible.

Sven Neumann
2002-12-12 14:09:40 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[FilmGimp] Which Gimp

Hi,

RaphaXl Quinet writes:

http://filmgimp.sourceforge.net/docs/which.gimp.html

I think that some parts of this article are really inaccurate and are likely to cause some unnecessary damage to the reputation of both projects (GIMP and Film Gimp). It looks like you have a bad opinion of the GIMP developers, but I hope that you will change your mind (and the page).

Raphael, thanks for writing this mail. I agree with all the points you made and would only like to add a few more words about the list of GIMP projects titled "Gimp projects are there?"

This list gives the wrong impressions that there are separate ports of The GIMP to the Windows and Macintosh platforms. This is wrong. These projects use the same source code that is used to compile The GIMP for a large number of UNIX operating systems. The GIMP developers try very hard to write code that is platform-independent. All (or actually most of) the ugly details about different platforms are hidden in GLib and GDK. This is especially true for the current development version. The WinGimp and MacGimp projects (if there are any) are solely providing binary versions of the one true GIMP and I don't think they should be listed as separate GIMP projects. If you want to keep them in the list, you should also add GIMP for FreeBSD, GIMP for OpenBSD, GIMP for Debian Linux, GIMP for Solaris, GIMP for SuSE Linux, GIMP for AIX, GIMP for RedHat Linux, ..., ... and probably even GIMP for OS/2.

The page at filmgimp.sourceforge.net also states:

"GIMP and GIMP for Windows maintain totally separate mailing lists."

It is true that there are different mailing-lists for users of GIMP on UNIX and users of GIMP for Windows. It turned out that this separation makes sense although I never liked the idea of making a difference between the same application running on different platforms. It is however wrong that there are different mailing-lists for the development of The GIMP. The sentence I quoted may however give this wrong impression.

Overall, this new page on the filmgimp site is once more full of wrong facts that I have to try hard to suppress the feeling that Robin is knowingly and willingly spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt on The GIMP and I wonder what's the rationale of this.

Salut, Sven

Robin Rowe
2002-12-12 18:22:22 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Sven,

I thank Patrick and Raphaël for the apologies they posted. I think that shows class on their part. And even though the discussion became unnecessarily heated, everyone has learned more about the various projects.

[Robin's] list gives the wrong impressions that there are separate ports

of

The GIMP to the Windows and Macintosh platforms. This is wrong.

The relationship between GIMP and GIMP for Windows is made clear, and everyone seems to agree nobody knows what the MacGimp effort really does.

WinGimp and MacGimp projects (if there are any) are solely providing binary versions of the one true GIMP and I don't think they should be listed as separate GIMP projects. If you want to keep them in the list, you should also add GIMP for FreeBSD, GIMP for OpenBSD, GIMP for Debian Linux, GIMP for Solaris, GIMP for SuSE Linux, GIMP for AIX, GIMP for RedHat Linux, ..., ... and probably even GIMP for OS/2.

If anyone would show me a separate Web site or independent project leader for those platforms I would certainly consider listing them.

It is true that there are different mailing-lists for users of GIMP on UNIX and users of GIMP for Windows. It turned out that this separation makes sense although I never liked the idea of making a difference between the same application running on different platforms. It is however wrong that there are different mailing-lists for the development of The GIMP.

I guess you are unaware of the gimpwin-dev list.

Overall, this new page on the filmgimp site is once more full of wrong facts that I have to try hard to suppress the feeling that Robin is knowingly and willingly spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt on The GIMP and I wonder what's the rationale of this.

Instead of attacking me personally why don't you stick to GIMP issues?

You seem to want to foster the misimpression that GIMP is all just one big project centrally administered. That sophism causes such absurdities as requests to fix Film Gimp bugs being posted to the GIMP list, the status of GIMP bugs being posted to the Film Gimp list as though we should know what that's talking about, and cross-posted flamewar traffic that disrupted developers working on Film Gimp.

My true goal in documenting GIMP-related projects is to stem widespread supposition and misinformation. The total absence of documentation on the GIMP Web site regarding the status and relationships of the many GIMP ports and projects has caused everyone confusion.

Cheers,

Robin --------------------------------------------------------------------------- www.FilmGimp.org
www.LinuxMovies.org

Carol Spears
2002-12-12 18:53:15 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

On 2002-12-12 at 0922.22 -0800, Robin Rowe typed this:

You seem to want to foster the misimpression that GIMP is all just one big project centrally administered.

i for one look for the berkeley seal of approval on things ....

carol

Patrick McFarland
2002-12-12 21:50:09 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Photoshop Plugin Support

Hey all, its me again.

First I would like to say Im not trying to start a flamewar here... but will the win32 Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins, and will the *nix x86 Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins via Wine?

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-12-13 01:45:15 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Photoshop Plugin Support

unknown@panax.com (2002-12-12 at 1550.09 -0500):

First I would like to say Im not trying to start a flamewar here... but will the win32 Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins,

Seaching in Google you can see http://www.gimp.org/ (scroll down to "GIMP 1.2.3 for Windows Released") or a more precise thing like http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2001-December/006179.html

You can try places like http://registry.gimp.org/ too, and you will find that user filter make "filter factory plugins"-kind work too.

So seems at least some kind works, dunno if the factory ones are the same than the 8bf ones, or if there a lot of other kinds, but at least one does, maybe more.

and will the *nix x86
Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins via Wine?

Dunno, if anybody wants and tries, maybe. Other option is to recode them from scratch (more portable, fixable, probably without money charge, etc).

GSR

Sven Neumann
2002-12-13 13:25:56 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Photoshop Plugin Support

Hi,

Patrick McFarland writes:

First I would like to say Im not trying to start a flamewar here... but will the win32 Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins

iirc, the latest win32 version already does.

and will the *nix x86 Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins via Wine?

it will if someone hacks it. If I'm right and it already works on Win32, it should be possible to bring this functionality to UNIX x86.

If it is a wise decision to try to support Photoshop Plug-ins is a different question...

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2002-12-13 13:42:21 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Hi,

"Robin Rowe" writes:

The relationship between GIMP and GIMP for Windows is made clear, and everyone seems to agree nobody knows what the MacGimp effort really does.

sorry, but I didn't have the impression that your page sheds the right light on the relationship. Instead the reader may get the wrong impression that the the different platforms use a forked codebase. Perhaps it's just me, but that's what I read between the lines.

My true goal in documenting GIMP-related projects is to stem widespread supposition and misinformation. The total absence of documentation on the GIMP Web site regarding the status and relationships of the many GIMP ports and projects has caused everyone confusion.

that is indeed a noble goal but spreading misinformation is not the right way to achieve it. That's why Raphael and me tried to outline a number of mistakes in your page. If you feel personally attacked, that's your very own problem. It was definitely not my intention.

The whole point here is that instead of a collaborative effort to provide some urgently needed information about the GIMP projects, you just went ahead and put something into public space. It would have been a lot better to prepare a draft and discuss it on the appropriate lists before putting this online.

Salut, Sven

Robin Rowe
2002-12-13 20:53:17 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Sven,

The whole point here is that instead of a collaborative effort to provide some urgently needed information about the GIMP projects, you just went ahead and put something into public space. It would have been a lot better to prepare a draft and discuss it on the appropriate lists before putting this online.

The point is that it isn't for you to direct how an independent project is run. I've made as much accomodation to you and Raphaël as I can. I won't spin what I write to fit your viewpoint.

If you still have a problem with the Web page at http://filmgimp.sourceforge.net/docs/which.gimp.html, post the truth as you see it on your Web page. Let people judge for themselves.

Cheers,

www.LinuxMovies.org

Patrick McFarland
2002-12-13 22:04:49 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Photoshop Plugin Support

On 13-Dec-2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

First I would like to say Im not trying to start a flamewar here... but will the win32 Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins

iirc, the latest win32 version already does.

Cool, but this limits me to using win32 =/

and will the *nix x86 Gimp target ever support Photoshop plugins via Wine?

it will if someone hacks it. If I'm right and it already works on Win32, it should be possible to bring this functionality to UNIX x86.

If it is a wise decision to try to support Photoshop Plug-ins is a different question...

I think its a wise decision only because of the fact a lot of good photoshop plugins arnt made by Adobe, and also Gimp is still missing a few things that Photoshop has, including correct Cloud and Differencial Cloud (the one that looks like grey plasma) behavior.

Tor Lillqvist
2002-12-14 09:31:59 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Robin Rowe writes:
> I guess you are unaware of the gimpwin-dev list.

That list is (with hindsight) misnamed, it doesn't in fact have much discussion about GIMP itself at all. But the name goes back to the early days of the GIMP port to Windows, when I had hopes there might be lots of discussion about techincal details of the port.

Certainly, the list does not have (cross-platform) GIMP development discussion. It is nowadays mostly about issues related to building and running GTK+-using software other than GIMP on Windows.

I agree that with Sven that it's wrong to call GIMP for Windows a separate project. The distribution for Windows has its own webpage, but if something about it should be called a "project", it involves just the building and packaging of a distribution. I.e. not really much more than the building and packaging of a Debian, Red Hat or Solaris GIMP package, for instance.

--tml

Patrick McFarland
2002-12-14 09:38:25 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

On 14-Dec-2002, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

I agree that with Sven that it's wrong to call GIMP for Windows a separate project. The distribution for Windows has its own webpage, but if something about it should be called a "project", it involves just the building and packaging of a distribution. I.e. not really much more than the building and packaging of a Debian, Red Hat or Solaris GIMP package, for instance.

Well, from what I heard, it can load photoshop filters too. Something I wish the *nix version could do with wine =/

Robin Rowe
2002-12-14 10:08:51 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Tor,

I agree that with Sven that it's wrong to call GIMP for Windows a separate project.

What makes it seem a project is that it has a separate Web page, separate mailing lists, and a well known project leader (you). However, as you now say otherwise, I have updated the Web page accordingly.

Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers,

www.LinuxMovies.org

Sven Neumann
2002-12-16 12:13:33 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[FilmGimp] Which Gimp

Hi,

Patrick McFarland writes:

Second, I would like to ask when a either a GEGL enabled Gimp will be released, or a version of either Gimp with spfp/channel support _or_ Film Gimp with a working xcf plugin will be avalible.

when it is ready. Sorry, we never give any time scales for releases. In this particular case, it migth take a while longer since we haven't even started to work on GEGL integration and are currently trying to push development towards the end of the 1.4 development cycle.

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2002-12-16 12:33:39 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[FilmGimp] Which Gimp

Hi,

RaphaXl Quinet writes:

This is wrong. The plan was that Film Gimp and GIMP would merge around version 2.0 (you can check the gimp-dev mailing list archives from 2000 for some statements about that). This did not mean that any project would cease to exist, but rather that one tool (or at least a common codebase) would support the features that are necessary for both projects.

actually there was no plan to merge the two projects. Instead the idea was to provide a framework for image manipulation that fits the needs of both still image and movie editors. The basis for this framework is supposed to be GEGL and the Pupus rendering pipeline. A rich set of widgets to build a user interface from should be provided as well as a plug-in architecture and other useful things. Several applications could be built on top of this architecture. Perhaps there would be one large customizable GIMP application, but I can imagine that some people might prefer to create a more specialized user interface and call it Film GIMP, Video GIMP or Icon GIMP. There's nothing wrong with having different applications for different needs.

This idea is however very different from the approach taken by the current Film GIMP developers which seem to prefer to work on a stone-old code base. I see a lot of effort wasted here and will continue to discourage people to join this effort. The Film GIMP developers shouldn't take this as a personal offense; it's their choice and I will certainly not dictate what other people should do. It's just my very own personal opinion that we could be so much further towards GIMP-2.0 if more people would share this vision.

Salut, Sven

Raphaël Quinet
2002-12-16 14:35:30 UTC (over 21 years ago)

[FilmGimp] Which Gimp

On 16 Dec 2002 12:33:39 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

RaphaXl Quinet writes:

actually there was no plan to merge the two projects. Instead the idea was to provide a framework for image manipulation that fits the needs of both still image and movie editors. [...]

Well, this is more or less what I meant when I wrote the statements above. I knew that the old Gimp16 (Film Gimp) core would not be merged into the current GIMP because the work had already started on GEGL. The "merge" that I had in mind would have involved the migration of the Film Gimp frame manager and film-specific plug-ins to the new GIMP core based on GEGL. And as I wrote above, this did not mean that any project would cease to exist.

But as I have already explained in a previous message, the exact plans for Film Gimp and GEGL were not discussed on the mailing list. They were mentioned by non-developers, but not by those working on GEGL and Film Gimp (except for the mentions on the film.gimp.org home page in 2000). So I would have to check with Calvin Williamson or Caroline Dahllof and ask them what they had in mind for Film Gimp and the film-specific code and plug-ins when they started working on GEGL. But I doubt that they intended to drop all film-specific stuff once GEGL and GIMP 2.x would be ready, so they probably planned some kind of merge later.

This idea is however very different from the approach taken by the current Film GIMP developers which seem to prefer to work on a stone-old code base.

In the first message that I posted to the filmgimp mailing list, I saw a great opportunity for Film Gimp to get closer to the current code base when I noticed that one of the top goals for Film Gimp was "Bring the codebase up from 1.0.4 to rendezvous with Gimp 1.2.3". I suggested to aim for 1.3.x instead of 1.2.3, because 1.2.3 is already a bit old and 1.3.x has a much cleaner code (more object-oriented, cleaner separation between user inteface and core, etc.) and has better support for multiple platforms thanks to the new GTK 2.0.

Unfortunately, the result of this proposal and the discussion that followed was that the goal of bringing Film Gimp closer to GIMP was removed from the Film Gimp home page and some rather negative statements about the GIMP were posted on the public web site and on the mailing lists. This is exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for and I feel rather bad about this although I do not know how this mess could have been avoided. I am still hoping, though... There would be so much to gain for the Film Gimp users and developers by porting it to GTK+ 2.0 and aligning its core to GIMP 1.3.x or by aiming directly for GEGL and GIMP 2.x.

-Raphaël

Garry R. Osgood
2002-12-17 04:26:55 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Robin Rowe wrote:

Are the FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX and OS/2 efforts truly internal to GIMP,

treated more like a cousin as with GimpWin, or totally independent efforts like MacGimp and Film Gimp?

Correct on limited flavors of binaries. We are inclined to be source distributors, and leave the making of more specialized binary distributions to folks who know how to make them. For example, the freeware volunteers at SGI build gimp packages from sources originating from the same gnome repository the gimp developers here support, but employ the SGI software packager, and these install fairly effortlessly on the various SGI's I have. They are current to Gimp 1.2.3 with a package dated Jul-01-2002.

http://freeware.sgi.com/index-by-alpha.html

It would be nice if we tell people to where they may find more exotic binaries, such as for SGI, and give such folks a few thank-you's every now and then. Mea culpa. Hopefully this note will correct some of that.

Be good, be well

Garry

David Neary
2002-12-17 10:00:05 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Which Gimp

Garry R. Osgood wrote:

Robin Rowe wrote:

Are the FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX and OS/2 efforts truly internal to GIMP,

Yes. In theory, at least. However, we do suffer from a lack of developers on those platforms, so it's possible to get into the "all the world's a VAX" syndrome... the Win32 developers keep us somewhat honest (while at the same time we occasionally need to keep them honest). In principle, no code which breaks a build on any of the above platforms (with the possible exception of OS/2) should ever get checked in. Platform-specific stuff should be at an absolute minimum in the gimp code - where it's required, we try to conform to standards (POSIX first, SvR4 and BSD second).

the freeware volunteers at SGI build gimp packages from sources originating from the same gnome repository the gimp developers here support, but employ the SGI software packager,

Similarly, the GIMP is available on Sun's Freeware site in the pkgadd format, on RedHat's ftp server as an RPM, on Debian as a dpkg, and so on.

It would be nice if we tell people to where they may find more exotic binaries, such as for SGI, and give such folks a few thank-you's every now and then. Mea culpa. Hopefully this note will correct some of that.

That would be nice. There are so many platforms and file formats out there, though, that keeping track might be difficult. Who's built the GIMP on Fujitsu SvR4 Unix for example? Or on a Bull? The source, and decent coding practices that minimise unportable code, and source code distribution is the way to go. If, as a service to users, we provide binaries on the gimp.org site for the 2 or 3 most popular platforms, this doesn't mean that the other platforms matter less, it probably means that the website maintainer has access to binaries for the most common platforms :)

Cheers,
Dave.

Danni Coy
2002-12-23 23:57:29 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Film gimp Vs Gimp....

I think it best that Filmgimp do its own thing for the time being.... I personally use both... If there where any merging I would suggest the 1.3.x branch than the 1.2.x branch simply because the code in the 1.3 branch is so much easier to work with (I say that as someone who is almost completely unfamiliar with the code).

I think that filmgimp want to meet your 16 bit + requirements NOW.... not when Gimp 1.4 or 2.0 rolls out.

Once 1.4 is out and the move comes for 2.0 I would sincerly hope that both projects could merge.... (at least in back end functionality) as I suspect that Filmgimp will have many industry specific patches incorperated...