RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0 Nathan Carl Summers 10 Dec 09:25
  ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0 Rapha 10 Dec 09:32
   ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0 Nathan Carl Summers 10 Dec 09:35
  ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0 Sven Neumann 10 Dec 10:39
   ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0 Nathan Carl Summers 10 Dec 13:57
    ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0 Sven Neumann 10 Dec 14:32
     ANNOUNCE: libpdb suite version 0.1.0 Nathan Carl Summers 10 Dec 18:44
Nathan Carl Summers
2002-12-10 09:25:23 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I'm proud to announce the first public release of the libpdb suite. The libpdb suite is an exciting new library designed to make it easy for application developers to add scripting and plug-in functionality available. It is based on GIMP's PDB implementation, but much work has been done to improve the programming interface.

Here are the release notes:

The libpdb suite consists of three libraries based on code from the GIMP. Libpdb is a small library implementing a database that stores information about procedures available for the scripting of applications. Libwire is a lightweight, extensible IPC framework. Libpdbwire depends on both libraries and provides a way for a remote process (such as a script or plug-in) to access procedures stored in the procedural database of another process.

These libraries are designed such that at a future time they could be developed and maintained by different groups.

This release is still quite rough around the edges. Much basic functionality is missing, and much of the API is subject to change. Still, application developers seeking to use these libraries in future releases would be well advised to start implementing the necessary changes to their programs to be able to access and use the functionality of these libraries.

Bug reports and patches are gladly accepted. These libraries are currently housed in CVS on my personal computer, but I will place them on a more public CVS server soon.

All libpdb suite releases will be signed with my public gpg key. Accept no substitutes! Always insist on genuine Rockwalrus libpdb releases! A different key is used to distinguish between stable and development releases.

Enjoy!

Rockwalrus

Rapha
2002-12-10 09:32:45 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:25:23 -0800 (PST), Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

I'm proud to announce the first public release of the libpdb suite.

[...]

Bug reports and patches are gladly accepted. These libraries are currently housed in CVS on my personal computer, but I will place them on a more public CVS server soon.

All libpdb suite releases will be signed with my public gpg key. Accept no substitutes! Always insist on genuine Rockwalrus libpdb releases! A different key is used to distinguish between stable and development releases.

Enjoy!

I think I would enjoy this even more if you told us where to find the code. ;-)

-Raphaël

Nathan Carl Summers
2002-12-10 09:35:39 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:25:23 -0800 (PST), Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

I'm proud to announce the first public release of the libpdb suite.

http://www.gimp.org/~rock/libpdb

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2002-12-10 10:39:15 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers writes:

I'm proud to announce the first public release of the libpdb suite. The libpdb suite is an exciting new library designed to make it easy for application developers to add scripting and plug-in functionality available. It is based on GIMP's PDB implementation, but much work has been done to improve the programming interface.

I hope that you didn't follow the current GIMP implementation too close. It might have proven to work but it certainly has major drawbacks and I wouldn't suggest it to application developers that think about adding plug-in functionality.

Salut, Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2002-12-10 13:57:51 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 10 Dec 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

It is based on GIMP's PDB implementation, but much work has been done to improve the programming interface.

I hope that you didn't follow the current GIMP implementation too close. It might have proven to work but it certainly has major drawbacks and I wouldn't suggest it to application developers that think about adding plug-in functionality.

I've certainly made a lot of changes to make the design cleaner and more generic. I don't think that there are many of the drawbacks of the current gimp design left in libpdb. Of course, I'm open to suggestions and patches.

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2002-12-10 14:32:33 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

I've certainly made a lot of changes to make the design cleaner and more generic. I don't think that there are many of the drawbacks of the current gimp design left in libpdb. Of course, I'm open to suggestions and patches.

the major drawback of the current design is that it doesn't use named parameters. That is definitely one of the things we should change right in the beginning of the next development cycle. Does your library include this change already?

Salut, Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2002-12-10 18:44:04 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 10 Dec 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

the major drawback of the current design is that it doesn't use named parameters. That is definitely one of the things we should change right in the beginning of the next development cycle. Does your library include this change already?

Not yet. But I will put it on the TODO list.

Rockwalrus