RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

1.3.10 failing to use system fonts.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Matthew Lewis 07 Dec 01:13
  1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Sven Neumann 09 Dec 12:12
1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Matthew Lewis 09 Dec 18:42
  1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Sven Neumann 09 Dec 19:10
1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Matthew Lewis 09 Dec 20:06
1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Matthew Lewis 12 Dec 22:43
  1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Sven Neumann 13 Dec 17:41
   1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Carol Spears 13 Dec 19:47
    1.3.10 failing to use system fonts. Sven Neumann 13 Dec 20:50
Matthew Lewis
2002-12-07 01:13:08 UTC (over 21 years ago)

This may be a configuration issue, but 1.3.10 only uses a small subset of the fonts available to X. Gimp 1.2.3 has no trouble using all the available fonts, so I don't believe it's xfs problem. Any ideas?

Sven Neumann
2002-12-09 12:12:47 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

"Matthew Lewis" writes:

This may be a configuration issue, but 1.3.10 only uses a small subset of the fonts available to X. Gimp 1.2.3 has no trouble using all the available fonts, so I don't believe it's xfs problem. Any ideas?

this is indeed a configuration issue. GIMP-1.3 doesn't use X11 to render fonts. It does however share the configuration file with the Xft font rendering system. You need to set up /etc/X11/XftConfig. The file format is described in Xft(3).

Salut, Sven

Matthew Lewis
2002-12-09 18:42:29 UTC (over 21 years ago)

The man page wasn't much help. I added the relevent directories to the XftConfig file and restarted xfs just in case, but Gimp is still refusing to use anything other than the default fonts. Could someone post a copy of their XftConfig file as an example of how to add font libraries to Gimp?

Thanks.

Hi,

"Matthew Lewis" writes:

this is indeed a configuration issue. GIMP-1.3 doesn't use X11 to render fonts. It does however share the configuration file with the Xft font rendering system. You need to set up /etc/X11/XftConfig. The file format is described in Xft(3).

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2002-12-09 19:10:03 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

"Matthew Lewis" writes:

The man page wasn't much help. I added the relevent directories to the XftConfig file and restarted xfs just in case, but Gimp is still refusing to use anything other than the default fonts. Could someone post a copy of their XftConfig file as an example of how to add font libraries to Gimp?

I will say it again: GIMP-1.3 does _not_ make use of X11 to render fonts. It thus doesn't make any sense to restart xfs since the font server is not involved at all.

Adding the font directories to /etc/X11/XftConfig should do the trick. Here's an example line:

dir "/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType"

Please note that you need scalable fonts, not necessarily TrueType, but scalable.

Salut, Sven

Matthew Lewis
2002-12-09 20:06:59 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hmmm. That's exactly what I did, but it didn't work. I also did a system-wide search to make sure there wasn't another XftConfig file that it may be using instead of the one in /etc/X11. No other copies were found except for a symbolic link in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.

All the fonts I'm trying to add are TrueType and as far as I know are all scalable. Is there a way to find out for sure which fonts are scalable and which are not? All of the fonts appear in the fonts.scale file which I think means they are scalable.

(btw: restarting xfs was an act of desperation.)

Hi,

"Matthew Lewis" writes:

The man page wasn't much help. I added the relevent directories to the XftConfig file and restarted xfs just in case, but Gimp is still

refusing to

use anything other than the default fonts. Could someone post a copy of their XftConfig file as an example of how to add font libraries to Gimp?

I will say it again: GIMP-1.3 does _not_ make use of X11 to render fonts. It thus doesn't make any sense to restart xfs since the font server is not involved at all.

Adding the font directories to /etc/X11/XftConfig should do the trick. Here's an example line:

dir "/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType"

Please note that you need scalable fonts, not necessarily TrueType, but scalable.

Salut, Sven

Matthew Lewis
2002-12-12 22:43:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

After some research, I've discovered some things about fonts, gimp, and linux. (Some of this may be old news to many of you, but it was new to me because I'm not a font expert.) On RH8.0 (and probably other dist's as well) there are 3 font handlers. The first is the traditional X font server "xfs" or "xfstt" on some systems. The other two font handlers are Xft and the new Xft2. Xfs gets it's configuration from the familiar /etc/X11/XF86Config file and from /etc/X11/fs/config. Nothing new here. The Xft font handler uses /etc/X11/XftConfig for it's config (it may also be in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 as well). But the newest version of Xft called Xft2 uses a pair of new config files which live in /etc/fonts called "fonts.conf" and "fonts.dtd".

It seems that Gnome now uses Xft2 for it's fonts because when I added the directories to the new config file, then ran "fc-cache" in the font directory, the new fonts suddenly became available to Gnome applications with the exception of Gimp. I also added the new font directories to the older XftConfig file so that they would be available to any app using Xft. Gimp now sees the fonts, but only about a third of them look right. The other two-thirds seem to be using a default font in place of the actual selected font. So for example, if I chose one of the microsoft fonts, I get the default "sans" font instead.

This situtation kinda sucks because I have a lot of nice looking fonts which are useless under 1.3.10, but work perfectly under 1.2.3. I'm not sure why the font hadlers have become so fragmented under X/Gnome/Gimp, but it would be nice if there was some way to regain the use of the font libraries which worked under earlier versions of Gimp.

Sven Neumann
2002-12-13 17:41:32 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

"Matthew Lewis" writes:

After some research, I've discovered some things about fonts, gimp, and linux. (Some of this may be old news to many of you, but it was new to me because I'm not a font expert.) On RH8.0 (and probably other dist's as well) there are 3 font handlers. The first is the traditional X font server "xfs" or "xfstt" on some systems. The other two font handlers are Xft and the new Xft2. Xfs gets it's configuration from the familiar /etc/X11/XF86Config file and from /etc/X11/fs/config. Nothing new here. The Xft font handler uses /etc/X11/XftConfig for it's config (it may also be in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 as well). But the newest version of Xft called Xft2 uses a pair of new config files which live in /etc/fonts called "fonts.conf" and "fonts.dtd".

RedHat ships with development versions of Pango so this is a RedHat-only situation. They may have had good reasons to do this. However this is totally unrelated to fonts in the GIMP text tool since the GIMP text tool doesn't use X11 to render fonts. It uses PangoFT2 which only happens to share a configuration file with PangoXft.

This situtation kinda sucks because I have a lot of nice looking fonts which are useless under 1.3.10, but work perfectly under 1.2.3. I'm not sure why the font hadlers have become so fragmented under X/Gnome/Gimp, but it would be nice if there was some way to regain the use of the font libraries which worked under earlier versions of Gimp.

I wouldn't say that the fonts worked perfectly under GIMP-1.2.3 since if anything sucks than it's the text tool in GIMP-1.2. The new tool however is under development and subject to changes. You better stop complaining. Then you should decide if you want to help with that development. Any help is appreciated. If all you want to do is to use The GIMP, you better delete GIMP-1.3.10 today and wait till we call it a stable version.

Salut, Sven

Carol Spears
2002-12-13 19:47:19 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi back,
On 2002-12-13 at 1741.32 +0100, Sven Neumann typed this:

Hi,

"Matthew Lewis" writes:

RedHat ships with development versions of Pango so this is a RedHat-only situation. They may have had good reasons to do this. However this is totally unrelated to fonts in the GIMP text tool since the GIMP text tool doesn't use X11 to render fonts. It uses PangoFT2 which only happens to share a configuration file with PangoXft.

I wouldn't say that the fonts worked perfectly under GIMP-1.2.3 since if anything sucks than it's the text tool in GIMP-1.2. The new tool however is under development and subject to changes. You better stop complaining. Then you should decide if you want to help with that development. Any help is appreciated. If all you want to do is to use The GIMP, you better delete GIMP-1.3.10 today and wait till we call it a stable version.

my gimp-1.2 gets ttf fonts via the development plug-in gimp-freetype. the default text tool and the stable dynamic text plug-in are not able to see the ttf fonts.

my gimp-1.3 text tool cannot find the ttf fonts. i was sort of waiting for a "Configure" button to pop up on one of my builds.

i was sort of excited about the original mail in this thread, as it was the first thing i read that seemed to start to make sense of my font problems.

i am running mostly debian testing, but i was willing (and would be willing again) to run a broken half sid machine to get ttf to my stable gimp.

if you are curious about what i have done to fix my font problem, i could dig up about 10 different how-tos. from apt-get, from xfce, from nice swedes trying to help ....

this is the first one that didn't work for me: http://carol.gimp.org/pdbv/package/anti-aliasing-howto_4%3A2.2.25.html

what are the chances that a [Configure] will appear on the text tool dialog in the near future?

carol

Sven Neumann
2002-12-13 20:50:58 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

what are the chances that a [Configure] will appear on the text tool dialog in the near future?

I'm not sure if there's a way for an application to change the PangoFT2 font configuration on the fly. I'd prefer not to implement such a beast and would rather put some effort into documenting the configuration via XftConfig.

Salut, Sven