RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can't Build the GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

000a01c278c4$fe34c6f0$65c8a... 07 Oct 20:21
  Can't Build the GIMP Tor Lillqvist 21 Oct 22:30
Tor Lillqvist
2002-10-21 22:30:46 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Can't Build the GIMP

Kevin Myers writes:
> It's my first time trying to build the GIMP on my Win 2K box under > MinGW, and right away I'm running into problems that I don't know > how to solve. Please forgive my newbie questions. I don't have a > lot of knowledge regarding gnu build tools and related stuff...

Before you attempt to build GIMP with GNU configure etc, you should preferrably have experiece in building some less complex package with these tools, both on some common Unix (like Linux or Solaris, as a reference), and on Win32.

> found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it > ./configure: ./po/POTFILES.in: No such file or directory > mkdir: cannot create directory `intl': File exists

Yeah, the intl stuff is a pain in the rear. (I never understood where the convention of having the intl subdirectory in every package came from? Why not require having an installed (GNU or other) libintl?)

I am not 100% sure I remember how all this fits together... but I think it goes like this: With GLib 2.0, one should not be using the "normal" GNU gettextize tool to set up an intl directory at all. (Remember that on Unix, GIMP 1.2.x is built with GLib 1.2.x, where there was no glib-gettextize yet, but on Win32, GLib 2.0 is used.) On Win32 you need to rebuild the configure script, running aclocal, glib-gettextize, automake, autoconf. (Don't remember the exact order right now.) You might need to manually intervene and edit out "intl" from subdirs in Makefile(.in) at some stage.

> 'gnome-config' is not recognized as an internal or external > command,

Ignore this misleading error message. pkg-config 0.13 tries, as a fallback, to run gnome-config, which is useless on Windows, and causes that silly error message from the Windows command interpreter.

> PKG_CONFIG=/d/source/pkgconfig-0.13/bin/pkg-config.exe > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/d/source/gtk+-dev-1.3.0-20020912/lib/pkgconfig:/d/source/glib-dev-2.0.6-20020802/lib/pkgconfig:/d/source/gettext-dev-0.10.40-20020904/lib/pkgconfig

> However, there is still a problem as you can see. In case it > matters, there is a file named gtk+-1.3-win32-production.pc on my > machine in the following directory:

> D:\source\gtk+-dev-1.3.0-20020912\lib\pkgconfig

> Of course this is translated by the mSys shell to > /d/source/gtk+-dev-1.3.0-20020912/lib/pkgconfig, hence my use of > that variation in PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

> Can anyone tell me what the problem is here???

pkg-config on Windows expects PKG_CONFIG_PATH to contain real Win32 folder named (including drive letter if necessary), separated by semicolons. Does the MSYS shell automatically translate environment variables that look like they contain PATH-style values into Win32 form when invoking non-MSYS programs? If not, you should set PKG_CONFIG_PATH's value Windows-style, not Unix-style.

--tml