RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

16 bit gray images not handled properly

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

16 bit gray images not handled properly rob 13 Oct 20:06
  16 bit gray images not handled properly Sven Neumann 14 Oct 11:31
   16 bit gray images not handled properly Roland Roberts 14 Oct 18:38
DE924A789E3C124F8C8A319F273... 07 Oct 20:21
  16 bit gray images not handled properly Austin Donnelly 15 Oct 10:34
   16 bit gray images not handled properly Sven Neumann 15 Oct 11:47
rob
2002-10-13 20:06:09 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

I've found a couple of problems with the gimp using 16 bit gray images the first is that it can't open 16 bit gray pnms the second is more of problem in that saving as png silently converts them to 8 bit gray pngs.

This is with gimp-1.3.8 I couldn't spot any mention of this in bugzilla but I'm not really any good with it so I could have missed something.

Sven Neumann
2002-10-14 11:31:38 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

rob writes:

I've found a couple of problems with the gimp using 16 bit gray images the first is that it can't open 16 bit gray pnms the second is more of problem in that saving as png silently converts them to 8 bit gray pngs.

The GIMP doesn't support 16 bit per color channel at all.

Import plug-ins that handle 16bit by converting to 8bit shouldn't do this silently but inform the user what happens. If they don't, that's a bug and should be reported thru bugzilla.

Salut, Sven

Roland Roberts
2002-10-14 18:38:18 UTC (over 21 years ago)

"Sven" == Sven Neumann writes:

Sven> Import plug-ins that handle 16bit by converting to 8bit Sven> shouldn't do this silently but inform the user what Sven> happens. If they don't, that's a bug and should be reported Sven> thru bugzilla.

I've added this bug for 16-bit/color TIFF images which are imported correctly by GIMP 1.2.1 but with no warning.

roland

Austin Donnelly
2002-10-15 10:34:30 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I wrote a patch which added a warning, but subsequently it was decide that not enough people would understand or care what was going on.

Austin

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:gimp-developer-

admin@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Roland Roberts Sent: 14 October 2002 17:38
To: gimp devel
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] 16 bit gray images not handled properly

"Sven" == Sven Neumann writes:

Sven> Import plug-ins that handle 16bit by converting to 8bit Sven> shouldn't do this silently but inform the user what Sven> happens. If they don't, that's a bug and should be reported Sven> thru bugzilla.

I've added this bug for 16-bit/color TIFF images which are imported correctly by GIMP 1.2.1 but with no warning.

roland --
PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
Roland B. Roberts, PhD RL Enterprises roland@rlenter.com 76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B roland@astrofoto.org Forest Hills, NY 11375

Sven Neumann
2002-10-15 11:47:14 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi Austin,

"Austin Donnelly" writes:

I wrote a patch which added a warning, but subsequently it was decide that not enough people would understand or care what was going on.

if you can still find that patch, could you please attach it to

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=95737

Salut, Sven