RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to build a distribution

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to build a distribution Shlomi Fish 05 Oct 13:18
  How to build a distribution Sven Neumann 06 Oct 04:33
   How to build a distribution Shlomi Fish 06 Oct 09:36
    How to build a distribution Sven Neumann 08 Oct 12:04
     How to build a distribution Shlomi Fish 09 Oct 07:23
      How to build a distribution Sven Neumann 09 Oct 13:45
       How to build a distribution Vegard Vesterheim 09 Oct 14:51
        How to build a distribution Sven Neumann 09 Oct 15:20
         How to build a distribution Thierry Vignaud 09 Oct 16:07
        How to build a distribution Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 10 Oct 01:19
Shlomi Fish
2002-10-05 13:18:32 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Apparently, "make dist" does not include the files under the plug-ins/perl directory (except for the po files). (I'm talking about gimp 1.2.3).

What should I do to build a distribution, instead?

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@t2.technion.ac.il Home Page: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/ Home E-mail: shlomif@iglu.org.il

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..." "Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

Sven Neumann
2002-10-06 04:33:09 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Shlomi Fish writes:

Apparently, "make dist" does not include the files under the plug-ins/perl directory (except for the po files). (I'm talking about gimp 1.2.3).

no, unfortunately the gimp-perl build is pretty hackish and non-standard. The fact that 'make dist' doesn't work because of gimp-perl was one of the major reasons to disable gimp-perl in the HEAD branch. It won't be reenabled until this is fixed.

do as Yosh and me do and add the perl stuff by hand. Or just use a released tarball.

Salut, Sven

Shlomi Fish
2002-10-06 09:36:10 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 6 Oct 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Shlomi Fish writes:

no, unfortunately the gimp-perl build is pretty hackish and non-standard. The fact that 'make dist' doesn't work because of gimp-perl was one of the major reasons to disable gimp-perl in the HEAD branch. It won't be reenabled until this is fixed.

The reason I asked was because I had to pull a similar stunt for a game I'm working on ( "I, Bex!"). What I eventually did was override the distdir target in Makefile.PL:

##################### use strict;

require ExtUtils::MakeMaker; import ExtUtils::MakeMaker;

open I, " 'Shlomif::Games::IBex', 'DISTNAME' => 'IBex',
'VERSION' => $version,
'dist' =>
{
'PREOP' => 'chmod -R u=rwX,go=rX . ;', 'COMPRESS' => 'gzip -9v', 'SUFFIX' => '.gz',
},
);

#####################

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

do as Yosh and me do and add the perl stuff by hand. Or just use a released tarball.

Salut, Sven

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@t2.technion.ac.il Home Page: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/ Home E-mail: shlomif@iglu.org.il

"Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..." "Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

Sven Neumann
2002-10-08 12:04:03 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Shlomi Fish writes:

The reason I asked was because I had to pull a similar stunt for a game I'm working on ( "I, Bex!"). What I eventually did was override the distdir target in Makefile.PL:

actually I'd prefer to get rid of Makefile.pl and build gimp-perl using automake just like the rest of the project. An alternative would be to distribute gimp-perl separately. In that case, I wouldn't care how it is built or packaged.

Salut, Sven

Shlomi Fish
2002-10-09 07:23:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 8 Oct 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Shlomi Fish writes:

actuallyI'd prefer to get rid of Makefile.pl and build gimp-perl using automake just like the rest of the project.

I don't think the GNU Autotools are very adapted to install Perl modules. That's what Makefile.PL is for. I don't see a way to portably install them with Automake.

An alternative would
be to distribute gimp-perl separately. In that case, I wouldn't care how it is built or packaged.

Isn't it already the case for Gimp 1.3.x?

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2002-10-09 13:45:00 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Shlomi Fish writes:

An alternative would
be to distribute gimp-perl separately. In that case, I wouldn't care how it is built or packaged.

no, the case for gimp-1.3 is that it ships w/o gimp-perl and there's no separate gimp-perl package. At the moment it looks a lot as if gimp-1.4 will not have gimp-perl support.

Salut, Sven

Vegard Vesterheim
2002-10-09 14:51:53 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 09 Oct 2002 13:45:00 +0200 Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Shlomi Fish writes:

An alternative would

no, the case for gimp-1.3 is that it ships w/o gimp-perl and there's no separate gimp-perl package. At the moment it looks a lot as if gimp-1.4 will not have gimp-perl support.

Ouch, I would consider this to be *very* unfortunate. This combination is what makes Gimp very useful to me. Debugging script-fu scripts is beyond my capabilities. What are the reasons for not having gimp-perl support in gimp-1.4 ?

What needs to be done to keep gimp-perl support in gimp-1.4 ?

I think it is perfectly reasonable that gimp-perl is a completely separate package from gimp itself, and that the packaging is using the ordinary Perl mechanism (Makefile.PL, etc). AFAIK, PerlMagick is a separate package from ImageMagick, so why should Gimp be any different?

Sven Neumann
2002-10-09 15:20:35 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Vegard Vesterheim writes:

Ouch, I would consider this to be *very* unfortunate. This combination is what makes Gimp very useful to me. Debugging script-fu scripts is beyond my capabilities. What are the reasons for not having gimp-perl support in gimp-1.4 ?

the main reason is that AFAIK gtk+-perl hasn't been ported to GTK+-2.0 yet. We will most probably get Python support in GIMP-1.4, so perhaps that would suit your needs better than Script-Fu (which will eventually get ported to Guile or another Scheme interpreter).

I think it is perfectly reasonable that gimp-perl is a completely separate package from gimp itself, and that the packaging is using the ordinary Perl mechanism (Makefile.PL, etc). AFAIK, PerlMagick is a separate package from ImageMagick, so why should Gimp be any different?

I agree and I think that GIMP-Python (and probably Script-Fu) should as well be separate packages.

Salut, Sven

Thierry Vignaud
2002-10-09 16:07:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Sven Neumann writes:

the main reason is that AFAIK gtk+-perl hasn't been ported to GTK+-2.0 yet.

there've been a few port trials but none get completed.

but it'll be ported.

we (mandrake developers) use it for our installer (drakx) and our config tools (drakxtools) use perl-gtk through my_gtk/ugtk layers, and so we'll port perl-gtk on top of gtk+2 before our next release (that is in the incoming monthes).

i cannot give you any roadmap but if you want to help, you may contact François Pons and Guillaume Cottenceau who will do that port.

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2002-10-10 01:19:45 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:51:53PM +0200, Vegard Vesterheim wrote:

no separate gimp-perl package. At the moment it looks a lot as if gimp-1.4 will not have gimp-perl support.

separate package from gimp itself, and that the packaging is using the ordinary Perl mechanism (Makefile.PL, etc). AFAIK, PerlMagick is a separate package from ImageMagick, so why should Gimp be any different?

The situation is exactly the same with ImageMagick: ImageMagick comes with the perl module, and also builds it in much the same way as gimp does. For some magic reason, the culture clash seems not to be a problem for the ImageMagick developer(s). I guess if automake wouldn't be so limited (there has been development for perl support, but AFAICR it was decided that Makefile.PL works better anyway, and is more portable) the world would be a better place.

OTOH, portability isn't much of a problem in the case of gimp, as gimp just doesn't port to a lot of platforms, and I think it might be possible to make gimp-perl completely integrated into gimp's automake system, just as programs embedding perl usually try their own system. I wouldn't want to handle the portability problems, but, frankly, it would need to work on linux, *bsd and (in the future) windows, nobody cares about irix where it's simply impossible to cleanly compile perl modules in many cases. The only drawback would be more difefrences between the CPAN vesion and the gimps version. If anybody would want to try, I'll surely help with how to get the necessary info out of perl. Lots of work, but doable.

In any case, before shipping a defective gimp-perl, I'd indeed vote for complete removal. The situation is not as bad as a few years ago, where you

a) needed a very specific gimp-perl version for a very specific gimp version (quickly changing 1.1 releases)
b) it's part of most distributions, and they know how to build it

And as for gimp-1.4: I'd like very much to make gimp-perl work with gimp-1.4, but right now I am quite dead. Very, very dead. Drowned in work. You get the idea.

I hope this changes "soon", but that soon might still be 4-5 months away.

My apologies for playing dead man for such a long time... I _really_ work hard to change this ;)