RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Announcing JGimp version 0.5 - a Java plug-in architecture for the GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Announcing JGimp version 0.5 - a Java plug-in architecture for the GIMP Michael Terry 25 Jun 21:31
Michael Terry
2002-06-25 21:31:13 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Announcing JGimp version 0.5 - a Java plug-in architecture for the GIMP

JGimp, version 0.5

What it is: * An extension to the GIMP that lets developers write Java-based plug-ins and extensions for the GIMP

Some features/ideas for use: * Write filters in pure Java, including the filter's dialog box (e.g., you can use common Swing widgets to create the UI for the filter). While this approach could quickly lead to a very inconsistent interface within the GIMP (i.e., some filters have the look-and-feel of GTK, while others have Java Swing's look-and-feel), it nonetheless opens the door for developers experienced with Java to more easily extend the GIMP's capabilities * Server-based image manipulation applications can be written in Java (for example, a web-based application that provides on-demand image manipulation, or dynamically generated images)
* Novel user interfaces for image manipulation can be prototyped in Java, using the GIMP as the image manipulation engine (an example of this use can be found at the URL given below)

Where to get it / screenshots / more info: * http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~mterry/jgimp/

What it needs: * JDK 1.4
* GIMP 1.2.X (I have only tested it on 1.2.2 so far) * Linux
* Testing and feedback :)

This is the initial public release of this architecture, so there are no guarantees it will even compile on your system (I have only tested this on my own system, so there might be some lingering hard-coded paths somewhere, or other junk that prevents you from successfully compiling and installing it). But if you are interested, download it, try compiling and installing it, and let me know of any problems you have. Tip: see the README for installation instructions (some manual configuration required :)

Thanks for all the help I have received from people on the gimp-developer list as I tried to figure out how to write this software, and a big shout-out to all the people who have contributed to the GIMP and made it a great open source image manipulation tool!

Cheers,

Michael Terry Everyday Computing Lab
Graphics, Visualization, & Usability Center Georgia Tech
mterry@cc.gatech.edu