RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Usage of mnemonics in GIMP 1.3

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Usage of mnemonics in GIMP 1.3 Maurits Rijk 04 May 15:25
  Usage of mnemonics in GIMP 1.3 Sven Neumann 04 May 18:10
   Usage of mnemonics in GIMP 1.3 Christian Rose 05 May 07:38
Maurits Rijk
2002-05-04 15:25:27 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

GTK 2.0 now has this nice feature of using mnemonics which I think can greatly improve the navigation inside dialogs. I have 3 questions about this:

* should we have some kind of guideline for using these, such that each plugin will use more or less the same mnemonics?

* what will be the impact on the translations when we start using these?

* can I submit a change request in Bugzilla to request for all plugins to use mnemonics for GIMP 1.4? I'm willing to help out here.

Maurits

Sven Neumann
2002-05-04 18:10:51 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi,

Maurits Rijk writes:

GTK 2.0 now has this nice feature of using mnemonics which I think can greatly improve the navigation inside dialogs. I have 3 questions about this:

* should we have some kind of guideline for using these, such that each plugin will use more or less the same mnemonics?

the GNOME style guide could suite our needs. I haven't looked at it in detail.

translations will break and need to be updated. However I don't see any particular problem here. Of course translators need to put some thoughts into the mnemonics they use in the translations and should try not to deviate too much from the original (english) mnemonics.

* can I submit a change request in Bugzilla to request for all plugins to use mnemonics for GIMP 1.4? I'm willing to help out here.

sure. I guess the core UI also needs some work in this area.

Salut, Sven

Christian Rose
2002-05-05 07:38:48 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

lör 2002-05-04 klockan 18.10 skrev Sven Neumann:

translations will break and need to be updated. However I don't see any particular problem here. Of course translators need to put some thoughts into the mnemonics they use in the translations and should try not to deviate too much from the original (english) mnemonics.

I usually consider the mnemonics to be chosen so that they are easy to remember and access to be of much higher importance than any attempt to make them not deviate too much from their English equivalents. Often, the English characters are not even part of the translated word, so it's usually not particularily useful to use a strategy of not deviating too much, especially as this strategy may cause the mnemonic to clash with much better mnemonics where it's not even possible to use the English equivalent even if you would want to do so. For these reasons, I myself have long since given up any strategy to not deviate too much, and instead try to choose the mnemonics wisely.

Christian