RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pie Menus

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pie Menus Nathan C Summers 27 Apr 00:09
  Pie Menus Tino Schwarze 27 Apr 12:06
   Pie Menus Stephen J Baker 29 Apr 16:36
    Pie Menus Tino Schwarze 29 Apr 20:00
Nathan C Summers
2002-04-27 00:09:20 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Pie Menus

Thumbing through the Gnome GTK Widget Repository, I found that someone has already implemented pie menus for GTK. I'm still not sold on having pie menus in GIMP, but at least it means that if we do find a way to make useful pie menus, it won't take much work to implement them.

Hmm, maybe we could as an advanced option make the menu button on the canvas's upper left corner be a pie menu, and make the menu items completely configurable. I guess that could work.

Anyway, the URL is http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~0rfelyus/GtkPieMenu/

Rockwalrus

Tino Schwarze
2002-04-27 12:06:07 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Pie Menus

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 04:09:20PM -0600, Nathan C Summers wrote:

Hmm, maybe we could as an advanced option make the menu button on the canvas's upper left corner be a pie menu, and make the menu items completely configurable. I guess that could work.

Pie menus only make sense if you can access them really fast. Trying to hit a relatively small button is not an option...

But making the pie menues completely configurable would be great - including being able to save / load different configurations (that way, I could store my preffered config somewhere and have it handy on someone else's machine and don't need to get used to his/her configuration).

Bye, Tino.

PS: I could not find an appropiate bug in bugzilla - has one been submitted for the pie menu issue?

Stephen J Baker
2002-04-29 16:36:20 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Pie Menus

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Tino Schwarze wrote:

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 04:09:20PM -0600, Nathan C Summers wrote:

Pie menus only make sense if you can access them really fast. Trying to hit a relatively small button is not an option...

The whole point is that the menu should pop up right under the mouse pointer. If you have to move the mouse to get to the pie menu then you have already destroyed it's greatest feature.

If this is done, it has to be an optional replacement for the standard GIMP right-mouse-button popup menu.

---- Steve Baker (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail) L3Com/Link Simulation & Training (817)619-2466 (Fax) Work: sjbaker@link.com http://www.link.com Home: sjbaker1@airmail.net http://www.sjbaker.org

Tino Schwarze
2002-04-29 20:00:14 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Pie Menus

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 09:36:20AM -0500, Stephen J Baker wrote:

BTW: I'm subscribed to the list, no need to send me a copy.

The whole point is that the menu should pop up right under the mouse pointer. If you have to move the mouse to get to the pie menu then you have already destroyed it's greatest feature.

If this is done, it has to be an optional replacement for the standard GIMP right-mouse-button popup menu.

Hm. Maybe CTRL-RightClick could be used to access the old style menu.

Bye, Tino.

PS: Is there a bugzilla entry for pie menus or is there not?