RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fw: Re: What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fw: Re: What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Rapha 23 Apr 15:41
  Fw: Re: What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Rapha 24 Apr 10:41
   Fw: Re: What to do when zooming in? (bug #79384) Branko Collin 24 Apr 20:47
Rapha
2002-04-23 15:41:08 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

I am posting the following message on behalf of Miles O'Neal who cannot post to the list for the moment:

|Currently, two [zoom] solutions have been proposed: |- Try to do what the user means: if there is a selection in the window, | zoom in on that selection. If only a part of the image is visible and | the viewport is near the edge of the image (one of the scrollbars is at | 0 or maximum), then stay near that edge after zooming in.

This one makes sense to me.

|- Behave as if the zoom tool had been used temporarily: if the mouse | pointer is inside the image window when the shortcut key is used, then | zoom in on that point. If not, then zoom in on the center of the window.

This also makes sense, but only for people who have "click to focus" set. I use "focus follows pointer", so
this one could result in some rather bizarre behavior, since the mouse
pointer is guaranteed to be in the
window, but is usually parked out
of the way.

Maybe a preference setting could toggle between these two?

|We can only implement one of these solutions. Which one do you think is |the best, from a usability point of view?

Oh. Then I would prefer the first.

-Miles

I am not sure that I understand the point about the focus behavior. The shortcut keys will only be received by the window that has the current focus. What I was suggesting is that the GIMP checks explicitely if the coordinates of the mouse pointer are within the image window. If it is in the image window (regardless of the focus model), then the GIMP would zoom towards that point. If not, then the current zoom behavior would be used.

-Raphaël

Rapha
2002-04-24 10:41:10 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

I got a reply from Miles O'Neal about my previous messsage. Since he cannot post to the list, here is his reply followed by my comments:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:34:01 -0500, "Miles O'Neal" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:41:08 +0200, "Raphaël Quinet" wrote:

I am not sure that I understand the point about the focus behavior. The shortcut keys will only be received by the window that has the current focus. What I was suggesting is that the GIMP checks explicitely if the coordinates of the mouse pointer are within the image window. If it is in the image window (regardless of the focus model), then the GIMP would zoom towards that point. If not, then the current zoom behavior would be used.

I understand that. My point is that with "focus follows pointer", there is a very high probability that the cursor will be in the image window, but not where the user is looking. Yes, it *could* be elsewhere within the image panel, but since the image usually dominates the real estate, the most likely place for the cursor is inside the image window, itself.

If you're mostly used to "click to focus", this may not make sense unless you switch models (usually via your window manager) and play around.

It's not a major disaster if zoom center defaults to cursor pointer - just an annoyance. If it annoys far less people than the current behavior, that's OK. I have no idea what the percentage of users is that uses each type of focus.

I have always been a "focus follows pointer" user, so I am well aware of what this means. But I don't think that the choice of focus mode has a significant influence on the zoom-in behavior. While using the GIMP, I usually move the mouse a lot because most operations (e.g., selections) require the mouse. So I usually know where the mouse pointer is and I do not think that I would zoom in on the wrong area by accident.

Anyway, it looks like most developers do not care much about how the zoom shortcuts behave (considering the low number of replies), so there is no strong preference for one or the other solution.

-Raphaël

Branko Collin
2002-04-24 20:47:51 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On 24 Apr 2002, at 10:41, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

I got a reply from Miles O'Neal about my previous messsage. Since he cannot post to the list, here is his reply followed by my comments:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:34:01 -0500, "Miles O'Neal" wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:41:08 +0200, "Raphaël Quinet" wrote:

I understand that. My point is that with "focus follows pointer", there is a very high probability that the cursor will be in the image window, but not where the user is looking.

Yes, it *could* be elsewhere within the image panel, but since the image usually dominates the real estate, the most likely place for the cursor is inside the image window, itself. If you're mostly used to "click to focus", this may not make sense unless you switch models (usually via your window manager) and play around.

It's not a major disaster if zoom center defaults to cursor pointer - just an annoyance. If it annoys far less people than the current behavior, that's OK. I have no idea what the percentage of users is that uses each type of focus.

The proposed keyboard shortcut _only_ zooms around the mouse pointer because you want it to. Just like the paint brush paints because you want it to. You would not use the short cut if you did not want to zoom the area around the mouse pointer

I don't think the proposal tries to replace the existing zoom tools, but add an extra one.