RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

my new color-balance++ plug-in

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

my new color-balance++ plug-in OEyvind Kolaas 15 Apr 07:55
  my new color-balance++ plug-in Sven Neumann 15 Apr 11:37
  my new color-balance++ plug-in Sven Neumann 15 Apr 11:44
  my new color-balance++ plug-in Sven Neumann 15 Apr 12:02
   my new color-balance++ plug-in Øyvind Kolås 15 Apr 15:50
OEyvind Kolaas
2002-04-15 07:55:39 UTC (about 22 years ago)

I sat down this night and implemented a new color adjustment plug-in for the gimp. It is not completely finished yet but the basic functionality is there.

The plug-in requires the development version from CVS to build and run, it is available from: http://hal9001.2y.net/yuvadj/

There is a screenshot as well.

functionality that works: - preview in image area without memory leaks (that buggered me for a while) - automatic whitbalance calibration using the greyworld algorithm - assisted whitebalance using points in the image known to be white (optionally black as well)
- adjustment of black-, gray- and whitepoint - adjustment of input and output levels
to be implemented:
- saving/loading of profiles
- pdb calling functionality
- color vectorscope
- internal preview for the plug-in

The colorbalance part of the plug-in should at least be more intuitive than the current one in gimp (is anyone actually capable of using it?)

The way I do the preview in the image area is most likely not the way it will be when the new proposed API for doing previews from plug-ins are made. But when I finally managed to seal the last memory leak I realised that the code I ended up with was quite readable. (for those interested, take a look at the bottom of http://hal9001.2y.net/yuvadj/yuvadjust/main.c )

-pippin

Sven Neumann
2002-04-15 11:37:51 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Hi,

OEyvind Kolaas writes:

But when I finally managed to seal the last memory leak I realised that the code I ended up with was quite readable. (for those interested, take a look at the bottom of http://hal9001.2y.net/yuvadj/yuvadjust/main.c )

using goto does indeed make sense under some circumstances, but I don't get why you are not writing this as a switch without the gotos. Did I miss something?

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2002-04-15 11:44:56 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Hi,

looking at your code I found this comment:

/* it seems that the layer must be added to the image before it can be removed from gimp's memory */

gimp_image_add_layer (image_ID_global, bp->layer_ID, 0); gimp_drawable_detach (bp->drawable); gimp_image_remove_layer (image_ID_global, bp->layer_ID );

You should be able to remove the layer from gimp's memory without adding it to an image first by using gimp_layer_delete(). This function exists solely to get rid of a layer that hasn't been added to an image yet (in other words, a floating layer).

Salut, Sven

Sven Neumann
2002-04-15 12:02:52 UTC (about 22 years ago)

Hi,

OEyvind Kolaas writes:

I sat down this night and implemented a new color adjustment plug-in for the gimp. It is not completely finished yet but the basic functionality is there.

I really like the histogram being displayed in the levels widget. This feature is already on our TODO for 1.4.

I'd also like to see the ability to choose white/gray/black point being added to the levels tool. The same applies to the automatic calibration features.

Overall I think that most if not all features of this plug-in should be integrated into the core color-correction tools. This will allow for faster image-preview with less flashing (very annoying if you see the image being reset when the preview layer is removed). It will also allow the user to pick white/gray/black points directly from the image. What do you think about this? Wouldn't you like to hack on the core color-correction tools instead?

Salut, Sven

Øyvind Kolås
2002-04-15 15:50:26 UTC (about 22 years ago)

* Sven Neumann [020415 12:06]:

Hi,

OEyvind Kolaas writes:

I really like the histogram being displayed in the levels widget. This feature is already on our TODO for 1.4.

This was more of a hack since I'm not fluent with gtk+, and reimplementing my own levels dialog from my own toolkit was easier than trying to rip out the one in the existing levels tool.

I'd also like to see the ability to choose white/gray/black point being added to the levels tool. The same applies to the automatic calibration features.

Not quit sure what you mean by this,. if you A) mean having the levels influenced by choosing FG/BG as white/black point,.. it already does, for graybalance it should just do a autostretch contrast instead. B) add the ability to set white|gray|black point to the existing levels tool,.. then the name of the tool should be changed since it no longer would be a levels tool (it feels like I fail to comprehend what you were trying to convey)

Overall I think that most if not all features of this plug-in should be integrated into the core color-correction tools. This will allow for faster image-preview with less flashing (very annoying if you see the image being reset when the preview layer is removed).

The core color-correction tools sure need some updates, but one of the reasons for doing this as a plug-in is that these operations belong together, and the user should be able to interactivly experiment with different settings between color-balance / levels.

It will also allow the user to pick white/gray/black points directly from the image. What do you think about this? Wouldn't you like to hack on the core color-correction tools instead?

Working on a plug-in feels safe, and the edit,compile,test cycle is short. But my understanding of both gimp and gtk+ have gradually increased this night due to coding this plug-in,.. so perhaps,..

-pippin