RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

siod (Script-Fu) string-length limitations

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

siod (Script-Fu) string-length limitations Jeff Trefftzs 12 Apr 21:04
  siod (Script-Fu) string-length limitations Nathan C Summers 12 Apr 21:46
  siod (Script-Fu) string-length limitations Sven Neumann 12 Apr 21:46
Jeff Trefftzs
2002-04-12 21:04:39 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

I've been experimenting with building a L-systems script-fu, but have hit a seemingly insuperable obstacle. It seems that there's a built-in limitation in siod that prevents strings from exceeding somewhere between 4050 and 4094 bytes. Since L-systems are basically string-rewriting systems, with the strings getting longer at each rewrite, this arbitrarily low limit is a real PITA. Indeed, it's a show-stopper.

Despite the known annoyances of trying to do string handling in any lisp-like language, I started out using the scheme script-fu instead of perl in hopes of making the resulting script usable on windoze machines as well as Linux boxes. But when I finally got things working, the interpreter just dies/hangs when the strings start getting too long. There are no error messages, no core dumps, no segfaults -- it just stops, silently.

So my questions are:

(1) Is the specific version of siod that the GIMP uses documented anywhere?

(2) Is there a sensible workaround for the (apparently) limited string length?

(3) Is there a way to extend the GIMP's version of siod's capabilities to allow strings of arbitrary (large, very large) length in 1.4? (Or, even better, in 1.2.x?)

Nathan C Summers
2002-04-12 21:46:42 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

(2) Is there a sensible workaround for the (apparently) limited string length?

Have you tried using lists of single charactors instead? Note quite as memory efficient, sure, but you can make a list as big as available memory.

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2002-04-12 21:46:48 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi,

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

(3) Is there a way to extend the GIMP's version of siod's capabilities to allow strings of arbitrary (large, very large) length in 1.4? (Or, even better, in 1.2.x?)

I'd like to replace our scheme implementation with something more advanced. The main reason is that I hope to improve error reporting and thus script debugging. Guile comes to mind but I don't have any experience with Scheme engines and I would love to see someone else taking the job of fixing Script-Fu for 1.4.

Salut, Sven