RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What would it take to add an option for the Pencil tool to support brush transparency? (James Houx)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.1.1558526402.11118.... 22 May 22:07
  What would it take to add an option for the Pencil tool to support brush transparency? (James Houx) James Houx via gimp-developer-list 22 May 22:07
   What would it take to add an option for the Pencil tool to support brush transparency? (James Houx) Simon Budig 22 May 23:20
James Houx via gimp-developer-list
2019-05-22 22:07:16 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

What would it take to add an option for the Pencil tool to support brush transparency? (James Houx)

Thanks Ell,

I tried the grid brush technique. While it works for making explicit individual stamps, it does not work for holding the button down and continuously painting. That makes it not an option for my needs: as I'd have to click thousands of times, since I can't use the scatter settings to have the brush do the work for me. Only adding transparency to the pencil would fix the issue. :(

I found Paint.NET after some additional searching, and there are tons of plugins for it on GitHub.  One of them is called Brush Factory and claims to do RGB brush stamping technique.  I'll have to try it out and see if it will do a hard stamp without sub pixel sampling.  But still the plugin interface looks fairly clunky compared to just being able to do it right in GIMP.

How difficult would it be to modify the pencil tool to support transparency?

- James

Simon Budig
2019-05-22 23:20:05 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

James Houx via gimp-developer-list (gimp-developer-list@gnome.org) wrote:

How difficult would it be to modify the pencil tool to support transparency?

the regular paintbrush and the pencil tool are both using the gimppaintcore for painting the brushes. The difference between pencil and paintbrush is controlled by the "brush mode" property of the paint options. If it is == GIMP_BRUSH_HARD then the pencil behaviour is used.

In app/paint/gimpbrushcore.c this is used to request the "solidified" variant of the brush, in app/paint/gimppaintcore.c it is used to round the coordinates.

If you want to just change it in your personal copy without changes to the UI it seems to be fairly trivial. If you want to offer a UI it might be a bit trickier, but it should be doable.

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/