RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[Plugin-Development-C] Naive question : accessing "flattened" image pixels

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[Plugin-Development-C] Naive question : accessing "flattened" image pixels Anti Matter via gimp-developer-list 04 May 01:17
Anti Matter via gimp-developer-list
2019-05-04 01:17:55 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

[Plugin-Development-C] Naive question : accessing "flattened" image pixels

Hi,

this will probably seem like a silly question... I have been working on an animation plug-in for GIMP as a pet project, and I have been hitting a wall.
The plugin has a complex dialog with a preview window and playback controls and whatnot.
The preview works ok when each layer of the image is used as a frame in the animation.
I am using gimp_pixel_rgn_xxx functions to retrieve layers content, and blit them to my preview area : fine.

Now what I want to do is to have a "sprite sheet" mode, where an animation frame is a portion of the full image, however that image might be arranged in terms of layers. So basically, I want to be able to retrieve a pixel region of the current view of the image (fully flattened, with proper blend modes, not showing hidden layers, (at a given zoom factor?)). Problem is, pixel regions work at the drawable level, and a full image is not a drawable.
I looked at the API reference for hours to no avail. Other plugins tend to work at the drawable level too.

The native animation playback plugin works by creating a dummy image and duplicating/merging layers from the source image based on the animation compositing policy, but that seems a little overkill (and might not handle layer blend modes properly).
I want the preview to be updated when the image is modified, trashing and creating a flattened version of the full image on each alteration of the source image seems prohibitive, but might be a good approach...

I pondered using the thumbnail API, but it seems to be limited to 1024x1024 max size, and feels like a convoluted way of doing this.

What API nugget am I missing? What would be the best approach to do this?

Cheers,

A pondering maniac.