RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Regressions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Regressions Diogo Piçarra via gimp-developer-list 30 Sep 01:32
  Regressions Ofnuts 30 Sep 10:08
   Regressions Diogo Piçarra via gimp-developer-list 05 Oct 15:43
Diogo Piçarra via gimp-developer-list
2018-09-30 01:32:46 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Regressions

Please create "regression" and "data loss" tags on gitlab. Make them topmost priority and fix all regressions, data losses and most crashes before releasing a new "stable" version. Or use the money you just got to hire somebody to do that. Maybe starting with this:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1439 This is "totally unacceptable" and probably easy to fix but it's not fixed yet.

Thanks

Ofnuts
2018-09-30 10:08:14 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Regressions

On 09/30/18 03:32, Diogo Piarra via gimp-developer-list wrote:

Please create "regression" and "data loss" tags on gitlab. Make them topmost priority and fix all regressions, data losses and most crashes before releasing a new "stable" version. Or use the money you just got to hire somebody to do that. Maybe starting with this:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1439 This is "totally unacceptable" and probably easy to fix but it's not fixed yet.

While I have created the bug report, I don't think this one is a major issue. There are work-arounds (in most cases you can just flip the path..., and there are also scripts to reverse the path direction).

Gimp is mostly community-based, and the community isn't helping much. The code change that creates the bug is two years old, so this bug has been around in the 2.9 version and the 2.10 release candidates, and no one encountered it? Reporting bugs is a service to developers... It's almost a way to thank them :)

Diogo Piçarra via gimp-developer-list
2018-10-05 15:43:02 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Regressions

Thanks for your reply.

While I have created the bug report, I don't think this one is a major issue. There are work-arounds (in most cases you can just flip the path..., and there are also scripts to reverse the path direction).

This bug is just an example.
I think all regressions, data loss problems and most crashes are major. When a user updates from 2.8 to 2.10 he expects that everything keeps working. I've been looking in to bug tracker and i've seen many cases of users who had to go back to
2.8 because 2.10 still have important regressions. Until that it's not fixed, 2.10 can't be considered stable. I can't recommend anybody to update to 2.10 when I know some things that where working are not
working anymore.

Gimp is mostly community-based, and the community isn't helping much. The code change that creates the bug is two years old, so this bug has been around in the 2.9 version and the 2.10 release candidates, and no one encountered it? Reporting bugs is a service to developers... It's almost a way to thank them :)

I Know all that. I know that nobody is working on Gimp full time. I already contributed with code to some open source projects and already replied to some Gimp issues with ideas to help fix some bugs. I'am just trying to help with some ideas to improve bug triage. It's all I can do for now.
Adding the tags I suggested It's a way to get more attention to the regressions so they are not forgotten. Then hire 1 guy for 1 month full time. Should be enough for most regressions.

I'am still hoping for a reply from schumaml or one of the main developers.

Thanks.