RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Petteri Soininen 02 Feb 19:05
  Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Michael Schumacher 02 Feb 20:13
   Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Petteri Soininen 04 Feb 02:20
    Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Partha Bagchi 04 Feb 02:28
     Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Petteri Soininen 04 Feb 02:53
      Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Partha Bagchi 04 Feb 03:07
       Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Petteri Soininen 04 Feb 05:03
        Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu jcupitt@gmail.com 04 Feb 10:22
         Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu jcupitt@gmail.com 04 Feb 12:35
        Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu Jehan Pagès 04 Feb 11:39
Petteri Soininen
2017-02-02 19:05:40 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi,

Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just messed up something. This is not important as I can still build everything on Msys2, but I'd like to know if anyone has already done it?

- Petteri Soininen

Michael Schumacher
2017-02-02 20:13:35 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 02/02/2017 08:05 PM, Petteri Soininen wrote:

Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just messed up something.

Hi Petteri,

this is the point where you should explain what you did in regard to the environment variable - as detailed as it would be necessary for someone to reproduce what you did, without knowing what you did.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Petteri Soininen
2017-02-04 02:20:12 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi

I was more like thinking if anyone has already done that so I could get some pointers and try it too. If that's not the case I probably can try building it myself and take notes to make a 'how to' so I can give advice to others who like to try the same. If during that I face problems, I'll probably try to ask help in IRC. That Bash shell probably is quite standard installation in WIn10, so making build instructions for that couldn't hurt (if that's even possible). :)

- Petteri Soininen

On 2.2.2017 22:13, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just messed up something.

Hi Petteri,

this is the point where you should explain what you did in regard to the environment variable - as detailed as it would be necessary for someone to reproduce what you did, without knowing what you did.

Partha Bagchi
2017-02-04 02:28:43 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Are you planning to cross build or a native build? I am not sure what you are asking.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Petteri Soininen wrote:

Hi

I was more like thinking if anyone has already done that so I could get some pointers and try it too. If that's not the case I probably can try building it myself and take notes to make a 'how to' so I can give advice to others who like to try the same. If during that I face problems, I'll probably try to ask help in IRC. That Bash shell probably is quite standard installation in WIn10, so making build instructions for that couldn't hurt (if that's even possible). :)

- Petteri Soininen

Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone

has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just messed up something.

Hi Petteri,

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman /listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Petteri Soininen
2017-02-04 02:53:56 UTC (about 7 years ago)

I'd probably try cross build since after 'sudo apt-get install gimp' and trying to run it, it fails on 'cannot open display' so I think that indicates the shell cannot run it under windows and gimp needs to be built as a cross build. But as said, I'm just a beginner. :)

- Petteri Soininen

On 4.2.2017 4:28, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Are you planning to cross build or a native build? I am not sure what you are asking.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Petteri Soininen > wrote:

Hi

- Petteri Soininen

Windows 10 introduced an Ubuntu Bash shell, so I'm interested if anyone
has compiled GIMP using that environment. I tried, but I'm just a newbie
and got into problems where gegl didn't see babl etc. so my environment
variable settings were probably either wrong or not effective or I just
messed up something.

Hi Petteri,

this is the point where you should explain what you did in regard to the
environment variable - as detailed as it would be necessary for someone
to reproduce what you did, without knowing what you did.

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Partha Bagchi
2017-02-04 03:07:46 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Petteri Soininen wrote:

I'd probably try cross build since after 'sudo apt-get install gimp' and trying to run it, it fails on 'cannot open display' so I think that indicates the shell cannot run it under windows and gimp needs to be built as a cross build. But as said, I'm just a beginner. :)

- Petteri Soininen

Well, GIMP is a graphical application and X11 are not officially supported

on WSL. So, first you'll need to install X11 and then set the display appropriately. If you are familiar with Linux this should not be a problem. I think the command is something like export display.

If you simply plan to cross build, I am not sure what you are gaining with WSL.

Hope that helps.

Petteri Soininen
2017-02-04 05:03:50 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi

Not gaining personally anything, but maybe making development builds more accessible to those who come from MS Windows backgrounds.

Now they have to setup a Msys2 environment and do builds with that, which isn't as easy as it sounds with instructions that are partly outdated, but if Win10 has an Ubuntu shell, that probably is quite same for everyone who uses it, so why not try to build GIMP for Windows with that? GIMP isn't supposed to be an elitist Linux application, but a serious cross platform tool for everyone. Or so I have thought this far.

- Petteri Soininen

On 4.2.2017 5:07, Partha Bagchi wrote:

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Petteri Soininen > wrote:

- Petteri Soininen

Well, GIMP is a graphical application and X11 are not officially supported on WSL. So, first you'll need to install X11 and then set the display appropriately. If you are familiar with Linux this should not be a problem. I think the command is something like export display.

Hope that helps.

jcupitt@gmail.com
2017-02-04 10:22:44 UTC (about 7 years ago)

It sounds like you've managed it! As Partha says, you can't run graphical Linux programs directly from win10, you need to install an X11 server on the Windows side.

From the win desktop, install an X11 server, there are loads of free ones, and start it running. Check the instructions on how to set the display variable.

Back in the Linux shell, enter something like

export DISPLAY=0:

Then try running your gimp build. People have got the entire KDE desktop working this way, so there's a good chance it'll just work.

You've made a Linux build of gimp so it won't be directly useful to windows users, or easy to package or distribute. You'll need to look into the mingw cross-compiler if you want to make a native windows binary from Linux. On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 at 05:04, Petteri Soininen wrote:

Hi

Not gaining personally anything, but maybe making development builds more accessible to those who come from MS Windows backgrounds.

Now they have to setup a Msys2 environment and do builds with that, which isn't as easy as it sounds with instructions that are partly outdated, but if Win10 has an Ubuntu shell, that probably is quite same for everyone who uses it, so why not try to build GIMP for Windows with that? GIMP isn't supposed to be an elitist Linux application, but a serious cross platform tool for everyone. Or so I have thought this far.

- Petteri Soininen

- Petteri Soininen

Well, GIMP is a graphical application and X11 are not officially supported on WSL. So, first you'll need to install X11 and then set the display appropriately. If you are familiar with Linux this should not be a problem. I think the command is something like export display.

Hope that helps.

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Jehan Pagès
2017-02-04 11:39:22 UTC (about 7 years ago)

Hi Petteri,

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Petteri Soininen wrote:

Hi

Your view makes perfect sense, no worry! :-) It would be good if this new Bash in Windows helped Windows contributor build, hence code for GIMP, since the project is seriously lacking from developers on this platform.

Now what I don't understand is that you are trying to build *on* Windows *for* Windows, yet you are writing about cross-building. That should be a native build instead, not a cross-build… unless I really misunderstand what this bash shell on Windows is, but I don't think that's supposed to be an emulator, right?! So if I understand you well, you don't want to cross-build. :-)

Now to know exactly how we can help you though, it is necessary that you explain exactly what you already did, just as Michael Schumacher proposed.
The fact is that you actually won't find what you are looking for (someone who already did it and could give you hints) since — as I said — we are lacking dedicated Windows developer. You are maybe the first to try building on this new Windows-Bash shell, and in that respect, you are an explorer of this new Windows feature. In the end, if you manage to do it, you will likely be the one able to explain others. :-)

Now we can still help you with generic and theoretical help on what we know about building GIMP in general, but not specific help. But feel free to ask and tell us on your advances on the matter. We are very interested on the topic. Also you can always ask me stuff personally. I am the GIMP newcomers mentor, so reaching out to Windows developers in one of my hope to improve GIMP. Thanks!

Jehan

- Petteri Soininen

- Petteri Soininen

Hope that helps.

List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot
jcupitt@gmail.com
2017-02-04 12:35:49 UTC (about 7 years ago)

On 4 February 2017 at 10:22, wrote:

Back in the Linux shell, enter something like

export DISPLAY=0:

Oh dear, I always get that the wrong way around, you need :0, not 0:. It's probably something else anyway, it depends how the network stacks on the linux and win subsystems are set up.

export DISPLAY=:0

John