RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

HSV, HSL, CIE Luv, CIE Lch etc.

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

HSV, HSL, CIE Luv, CIE Lch etc. Øyvind Kolås 05 Feb 11:33
Øyvind Kolås
2007-02-05 11:33:28 UTC (about 17 years ago)

HSV, HSL, CIE Luv, CIE Lch etc.

On 2/5/07, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

The color space I propose to use CIE Luv, is also what you would consider a "HS_" color space, except for that fact that it is more perceptually uniform and better engineered. CIE Luv > HSL > HSV. CIE Luv is like CIE Lab, except that instead of having an opponent color model like CIE Lab/Y'CbCr it provides a hue angle and a saturation like HS_.

I'm arguing that I do not want HSV in the base distribution of babl, I probably do not want HSL either but I can agree to put CIE Luv in there. If GIMP will have a need to support it's confusing HSV legacy it will probably have to do so by providing it's own babl extensions to do so that do not live in the babl tree, as well as it's own GEGL plug-in operations that do not live in the GEGL tree.

In the above segment I am confusing CIE Luv with CIE Lch, but the argument still holds. And CIE Lch is most probably more desirable both to keep the number
of color models in babl down as well as with regard to what is possible to achieve
with it.

/Øyvind K.