RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Unsharp Mask and Sharpening

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Unsharp Mask and Sharpening Jan Smith 08 Dec 22:35
  Unsharp Mask and Sharpening Alexandre Prokoudine 17 Dec 13:48
  Unsharp Mask and Sharpening Omari Stephens 17 Dec 19:09
  Unsharp Mask and Sharpening Liam R E Quin 17 Dec 19:23
   Unsharp Mask and Sharpening gg at catking.net 18 Dec 11:58
    Unsharp Mask and Sharpening Geert Jordaens 20 Dec 09:20
Jan Smith
2010-12-08 22:35:57 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Hi,

What are the best GIMP tools for sharpening?

Is there a time when someone would use Sharpen instead of Unsharp Mask? To me GIMP's Unsharp Mask has a better range and control.

Will Wavelet Sharpen be included in GIMP 2.8? I find the Luminance setting gives even better results than Unsharp Mask.

I hope this is the correct mailing list for these questions

Regards

Jan -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /lists/gimp-developer/attachments/20101209/63374fb1/attachment.html

Alexandre Prokoudine
2010-12-17 13:48:47 UTC (over 13 years ago)

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Jan Smith wrote:

Will Wavelet Sharpen be included in GIMP 2.8? I find the Luminance setting gives even better results than Unsharp Mask.

My impression is that the team does its best not to include new filters, but rather get rid of some.

Alexandre Prokoudine http://libregraphicsworld.org

Omari Stephens
2010-12-17 19:09:45 UTC (over 13 years ago)

On 12/08/2010 10:35 PM, Jan Smith wrote:

Hi,

For sharpening _what_? The steps you would take when sharpening a photo for the web are different than what you'd do when sharpening a photo for print. And there are all sorts of artistic reasons to use various classes of sharpen that aren't related to the physical phenomena which cause a loss of sharpness in photographs shot through lenses.

Much like the real world (sharpening a knife or a tool), "sharpening" isn't some magical term. It's a bunch of techniques, and which you use depends on your input and desired output. You generally wouldn't sharpen a kitchen knife with a file, but you would sharpen a drill bit with one.

--xsdg

Liam R E Quin
2010-12-17 19:23:26 UTC (over 13 years ago)

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 09:35 +1100, Jan Smith wrote:

Hi,

Is there a time when someone would use Sharpen instead of Unsharp Mask? To me GIMP's Unsharp Mask has a better range and control.

For example, after down-scaling an image, sharpen of 20% can work well. Unsharp tends to introduce artifacts if overdone.

After scanning a greyscale engraving I sometimes do a gaussian blur followed by a sharpen at 80% or so. THis works better than colours->threshold if you're going to scale down the image.

Which one are you using? It's not so much the goal to reduce the number of plugins as to get rid of bad ones and replace them with better ones..

Liam

gg at catking.net
2010-12-18 11:58:28 UTC (over 13 years ago)

On 17/12/10 20:23, Liam R E Quin wrote:

Hi,

For example, after down-scaling an image, sharpen of 20% can work well. Unsharp tends to introduce artifacts if overdone.

Yes, I recently had an image, badly lit photo of a page of text that was difficult to improve with unsharp. Basic sharpen worked better.

Unsharp is not always the better filter.

/gg

After scanning a greyscale engraving I sometimes do a gaussian blur followed by a sharpen at 80% or so. THis works better than colours->threshold if you're going to scale down the image.

Which one are you using? It's not so much the goal to reduce the number of plugins as to get rid of bad ones and replace them with better ones..

Liam

Geert Jordaens
2010-12-20 09:20:07 UTC (over 13 years ago)

On 18-12-10 12:58, gg at catking.net wrote:

On 17/12/10 20:23, Liam R E Quin wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I recently had an image, badly lit photo of a page of text that was difficult to improve with unsharp. Basic sharpen worked better.

Unsharp is not always the better filter.

/gg

Liam

_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer at lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

I think we all agree that their is not one filter that fit's all purposes. Unsharp Mask is just a name for a predefined work flow. I'm for more filters and operations that can be combined in a work flow.

Geert