RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

decompose, compose, recompose

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

decompose, compose, recompose kolbjoern@stuestoel.no 24 Oct 12:32
  decompose, compose, recompose weskaggs@gmail.com 24 Oct 16:41
   decompose, compose, recompose kolbjoern@stuestoel.no 24 Oct 19:45
    decompose, compose, recompose Bill Skaggs 25 Oct 20:11
     decompose, compose, recompose "Kolbj 26 Oct 21:09
kolbjoern@stuestoel.no
2010-10-24 12:32:12 UTC (over 13 years ago)

I found the description of these filters incomplete and therefore tried to find the plug-in descriptions, but alas without any succeed. Someone who know where to find them or know more about how these filters works?

Kolbjoern

weskaggs@gmail.com
2010-10-24 16:41:39 UTC (over 13 years ago)

I created the recompose filter and am reasonably familiar with the others, although it's
been a couple of years since I have worked with the code. I'll be happy to try to answer
questions; I'm not up to writing a lengthy description right now though.

Regard, -- Bill Skaggs

kolbjoern@stuestoel.no
2010-10-24 19:45:54 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Den 24.10.2010 18:41, skreiv Bill Skaggs:

I created the recompose filter and am reasonably familiar with the others, although it's
been a couple of years since I have worked with the code. I'll be happy to try to answer
questions; I'm not up to writing a lengthy description right now though.

Regard, -- Bill Skaggs

Thank you!
Is there some documentation online somewhere? Ulf has answered the most important question about the "Foreground as registration color".
I also have problems figuring out what the "recompose" filter does. If I use Compose on a picture (separated by the Decompose filter) and then try "Recompose" nothing happens. Perhaps I have misunderstood something?

At the moment I have not tested the three filters very systematical. Should perhaps have done it before asking. But at the time I have enough to do with preparing lots of images for printing. Using GIMP of course :-). Deadline next week.
Kolbjoern

Kolbj
Bill Skaggs
2010-10-25 20:11:01 UTC (over 13 years ago)

The "registration color" is a feature that has recently been added, I believe,
and I don't know anything about it.

Concerning Recompose, its function is to reverse Decompose. If you decompose a layer and then want to reassemble the original layer using Compose, you have to do a lot of work -- you have to set up all the component layers properly using menus. Recompose does all of this silently, and replaces the original layer (the one that was decomposed) with the result. If you don't alter any of the decomposed layers, Recompose will give you exactly the result you started with (except for numerical errors),
so you won't see anything change. If you alter one of the decomposed layers and then choose Recompose, you should see the original layer change.

The reason for setting this up was to make it easier to edit individual color channels of a layer. For example, if you want to edit the luminosity of a layer without affecting hues, you can decompose it as LAB, do whatever you want to the L channel, then do recompose, and your original layer will automatically show the result.

-- Bill

"Kolbj
2010-10-26 21:09:26 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Den 25.10.2010 22:11, skreiv Bill Skaggs:

The "registration color" is a feature that has recently been added, I believe,
and I don't know anything about it.

Someone other knows?

Concerning Recompose, its function is to reverse Decompose. If you decompose a layer and then want to reassemble the original layer using Compose, you have to do a lot of work -- you have to set up all the component layers properly using menus. Recompose does all of this silently, and replaces the original layer (the one that was decomposed) with the result. If you don't alter any of the decomposed layers, Recompose
will give you exactly the result you started with (except for numerical errors),
so you won't see anything change. If you alter one of the decomposed layers
and then choose Recompose, you should see the original layer change.

The reason for setting this up was to make it easier to edit individual color channels of a layer. For example, if you want to edit the luminosity
of a layer without affecting hues, you can decompose it as LAB, do whatever you want to the L channel, then do recompose, and your original layer will automatically show the result.

-- Bill

Thank you, Bill! This explained a lot. I'll try it out and perhaps incorporate this in some way in the GIMP manual. I am using this plugin, together with others, very often at the moment checking out images before printing.

Kolbjoern