Sign up now! · Forgot password?
RSS/Atom feed Twitter

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Michael Muré 24 Mar 20:41
  GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Alexia Death 24 Mar 21:14
   GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Mar 17:12
    GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Alexia Death 25 Mar 17:23
     GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Michael Muré 25 Mar 17:27
     GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Mar 17:29
      GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Alexia Death 25 Mar 19:00
  GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool Michael Muré 26 Mar 22:32
Michael Muré
2010-03-24 20:41:32 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

Hello,

I'm Michael Muré, a French student in computer science. I'd like to propose a GSOC about a new cage-based deformation tool. This tool wil be based on this paper:
http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~lipmanya/GC/gc_techrep.pdf(Siggraph 2008)

The basic behavior of this tool would be: - you "put" a closed polygon on the image (not limited to 4 handles) - you deform the cage, the image is deformed accordingly - user can choice if the pixels can go outside of the cage or not. In the normal behavior of the Green Coordinates, the pixels can overflow the cage, due to the shape preservation.

Unlike the other classical method (mean value coordinates, harmonic coordinates, ..), the Green Coordinates allow high quality deformation by preserving the shape. That mean that you don't have side effect like shear. Example can be found in the paper. However, a restriction, the figure 14 show a deformation of the outside of the cage, that require a cutting of the outside. I think that's not relevant for a software like the Gimp.

That was for the presentation.

I would really like some advise or opinion of the community, to improve my proposal. For instance, I've some question:

- Since the GC is affine-invariant, it can do rotation and translation as well. However, it is less efficient than this simple tools. Should this tools be merged in the same tool ?

- Generally speaking, I'm not sure about the best UI solution

- Concerning the code, I'm a bit rookie with the code base of the Gimp. I usually follow more the Blender's development. Any hint or advise or thing to know would be appreciated.

Regards

Michael Muré

Alexia Death
2010-03-24 21:14:04 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

Hi:)

The basic behavior of this tool would be: - you "put" a closed polygon on the image (not limited to 4 handles) - you deform the cage, the image is deformed accordingly - user can choice if the pixels can go outside of the cage or not. In the normal behavior of the Green Coordinates, the pixels can overflow the cage, due to the shape preservation.

I looked through the paper and examples there were very impressive. This tool can be the tool of choice for many use-cases currently handled by iwarp plugin and perspective transform in a much more convenient and usable way. As a project it has great potential.

Im thinking, it might make sense to implement it as a gegl op with UI in gimp. however, we dont have an example of such tool yet...

Joao S. O. Bueno
2010-03-25 17:12:27 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Alexia Death wrote:

Hi:)

The basic behavior of this tool would be: - you "put" a closed polygon on the image (not limited to 4 handles) - you deform the cage, the image is deformed accordingly - user can choice if the pixels can go outside of the cage or not. In the normal behavior of the Green Coordinates, the pixels can overflow the cage, due to the shape preservation.

I looked through the paper and examples there were very impressive. This tool can be the tool of choice for many use-cases currently handled by iwarp plugin and perspective transform in a much more convenient and usable way. As a project it has great potential.

Im thinking, it might make sense to implement it as a gegl op with UI in gimp. however, we dont have an example of such tool yet...

Haven't checked the references - but it sounds like the same UI could be used to perform the "Liquid Resize" magic, currently existing as a 3rd party plug-in - what do you say?

js ->

--
--Alexia

Alexia Death
2010-03-25 17:23:27 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Alexia Death wrote: Haven't checked the references - but it sounds like the same UI could be used to perform the "Liquid Resize" magic, currently existing as a 3rd party plug-in - what do you say?

Could you point me to the plug-in? I don't think Ive seen it before

Michael Muré
2010-03-25 17:27:06 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

http://liquidrescale.wikidot.com/en:tutorial

But the behavior and the goal of this tool is rather different from mine.

2010/3/25 Alexia Death

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Alexia Death

wrote:

Haven't checked the references - but it sounds like the same UI could be used to perform the "Liquid Resize" magic, currently existing as a 3rd party plug-in - what do you say?

Could you point me to the plug-in? I don't think Ive seen it before

-- --Alexia

Joao S. O. Bueno
2010-03-25 17:29:12 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Alexia Death wrote:

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Alexia Death wrote: Haven't checked the references - but it sounds like the same UI could be used to perform the "Liquid Resize" magic, currently existing as a 3rd party plug-in - what do you say?

Could you point me to the plug-in? I don't think Ive seen it before

http://liquidrescale.wikidot.com/

It does the trick thatadobe sohowed off in the new photoshop yesterday -- it is quite well maintained - I keep the .pt_BR translation for it. Give it a try, it is worth it.

--
--Alexia

Alexia Death
2010-03-25 19:00:19 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

http://liquidrescale.wikidot.com/

It does the trick thatadobe sohowed off in the new photoshop yesterday -- it is quite well maintained - I keep the .pt_BR translation for it.  Give it a try, it is worth it.

Will do, but it only seems to do the rescale part of it, not the cleanup part it seems.

Michael Muré
2010-03-26 22:32:27 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

GSOC proposal: cage-based transform tool

Hello,

- Since the GC is affine-invariant, it can do rotation and translation as well. However, it is less efficient than this simple tools. Should this tools be merged in the same tool ?

I just found a mistake, the green coordinates is not affine invariant, that's why the shape preservation can be achieve. However, it is invariant for rotation, translation and scale.

Any other reaction, advise, opinion ?

Regards

Michael Muré